Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 10/4/2022 at 7:33 AM, Joey Mack said:

Here's a little more shop talk...  I finally got off the couch, and in my shop and back to work on My '48..   I took the rear wheel off to do a brake job..   All new brake parts were installed by the previous owner, unfortunately, the truck sat un used for so long that the new wheel cyl. froze up, and the shoes froze to the adjusters..  I got the shoes freed up, but there is no saving the wheel cyl.  Heck even the bearings were new...  So now its time to find the wheel cyl's.  Wish me luck..   Jojo

KIMG1250.JPG

KIMG1251.JPG

Most people in Australia get stainless sleeves put in them on hobbie trucks and cars etc, it stops this ever happening again and isnt costly 

Paul

• Like 1

Yes sir..   I just found new replacement cylinders, with all hardware, and fitting's.. On E-Bay...   $325.00  USD.. I'm going to take mine apart and try to hone them, and put new pistons and cups in them..   Yes my truck is a hobby truck/parade truck...  jojo

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes sir..   I just found new replacement cylinders, with all hardware, and fitting's.. On E-Bay...   $325.00  USD.. I'm going to take mine apart and try to hone them, and put new pistons and cups in them..   Yes my truck is a hobby truck/parade truck...  jojo

Wow!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

it's ok...  I went through the same thing with the master cyl.  $250.00+  I took the part number to Oreillys of all places and got one for $52.00   Of course it needs to last, but now I have one that is not solid rust and I can get it sleeved if needed..  😉 😘

• Like 2

I'm unfortunately learning a lesson  about e-bay transactions  lately.  only $13.00 for a pilot bearing that never showed up.someone always ruins a good thing.  the 13 i can deal with ..a word of wise; DON'T DO ANY BUSINESS  with a web with monkey as part of title. won't print actual. they "deal with tractor; truck; auto parts.  ag  goes in front of monkey.com.  I'm out 1200.oo for a john deere clutch that never showed up from 3 weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

owner of the tractor did a lot of research recently. turns out this operation has 4 web sites. i'm out the 1200.oo due to i was working on the JD with hopes of buy it from owner. any $$ i put in to it would be deducted from tab. now the JD1450 sits in the shop split in half taking up space 

10 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

What people find with wheel cylinders and the like in Australia is even if the bung a new set on they rust up with such a small amount of use and thats why the sleeve them

It is uncommon for hobbie restorer type of people to stainless sleeve brand new wheel cylinders to make things so much more reliable

If it was me I would just get it done to the old ones and they would out last me then 

So much more fun driving them when you want to rather than fixing them again and again 

Paul 

That was a big selling point when we were pondering buying this truck a few years ago. He had all the wheel cylinders, don't remember about the master cylinder, done at White Post Restorations and were guaranteed for life. We were going to buy this truck, even sent him a $500 deposit to hold it until he got the paperwork from Maine, but he never got anything, no bill of sale, nothing, so after a few months he sent the money back.

20201130_200044.thumb.jpg.c9d712f363258d9e8c4608e59da03e03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

So I tried to take the wheel cyl. apart,  I had to tap threads into one of the pistons and pull it using a homemade puller..   The washer is a Mack rear engine mount washer..  I have a small stack of those suckers..   now to find a rebuild kit..   im on a very tight budget, so I need to go easy...  if I can get the brakes to work, I will be happy. I actually intend on driving it around town often, so hopefully, they wont rust up and freeze again..  

KIMG1253.JPG

Yes to all.. It came off the backing plate just fine..   I just have to remove the small piston that pushes the rear shoe..  I already honed the cyls and they are actualy clean. . once I get the other piston out I will know better..  I havent found kits yet, so I will just use the sizes for each rubber cup.   I think I can make this happen, of course, I dont have the left side out yet, but....   It's all good..   Thank's, Bob..   jojo

They don’t look too terribly bad in the photos good luck but I’m sure you’ll be OK just keep honing until they’re relatively clean. Ha ha I don’t know why I’m telling you this stuff you are the professional most of us are backyard come on????????????

• Like 1

Well, I looked for other wheel cyl's for my '48...  no luck..  I bought the new production set...  $363.00 w/shipping..  I didnt mind buying it because my BOSS said..... and I quote.....  use my Pay Pal acct.   so after I came too,  I ordered them...    :)  jojo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, GA_Dave said:

It seems pretty quiet around the shop.  Here's something to fill the space.  This is actually Part Two of the story about my wife's 1988 Chevy Celebrity.  At the end of Part One, she was still driving it, but with both passenger side doors crushed in, but still functional.  This was the end of August and Part Two starts the following February.
   One day, we were out running errands in the Celebrity.  We were on a four lane road in a commercial district, the wife driving, in the right lane, just cruising along at the speed limit.  Suddenly, we get T-boned on the right front fender and door by a young girl coming out of a parking lot in the brand new car Mommy & Daddy had just bought her, while talking on her phone.  Thankfully, there were no physical injuries to anyone involved.  Damage to both cars was substantial.  
   Once out and looking at the Celebrity, not only had she hit the fender and door, but she had hit the right front wheel, bending that wheel and ripping a 4" hole in the tire's sidewall.  We had just put four new tires on the car three days prior.  The impact also sheared off the right shaft of the rack & pinion assembly, preventing me from simply putting on the spare tire and driving home.  I had a wrecker tow it to my house.  The girl was ticketed and I got her insurance info to file a claim.
   The adjuster showed up three days later, inspected it, and declared that repairing the damage exceeded the value of the car.  He told me the insurance company would call me the next day, which they did.  They first offered me $1650 to total it, but I had other plans.  We agreed that I would keep it and they would send me $1350.  While waiting for their check, I began gathering parts.  There was a very similar wrecked Celebrity sitting in a local junkyard.  The driver's side was wiped out, but the other side was good.  I got the fender and both doors for $250.  They were even the same color as mine, only the pinstripe was gold where mine was black.  No biggie!  They also had a rack & pinion for another $50.  Finding the correct wheel was quite difficult, but when I finally did, in another junkyard, it only cost me $25.  Replacing the ruined tire cost about $100.  
   Less than a week after getting the insurance check, she was back driving her Celebrity, damage free, including the damage from when she hit the rock back in August, and I had over $900 in my pocket!
   She drove the Celebrity for three more years, but then the transmission began to slip.  I sold it for $200, only $50 less than I paid for it four years before.

Blessing in disguise Dave! What a great story that car has, it’s become quite the celebrity. Glad you came out on top. It’s usually the good people that get stuck footing the bill regardless…

• Like 1

Yes Dave that was an excellent story thanks for sharing once in a while we make out I guess you’re cylinders come to a dead end Joey oh well at least you know what you got now put them in and don’t worry about it hopefully you don’t get taken for a ride like Mecho did … Bob

• Like 1

Best of luck bud let’s hope it works for you that sucks that it makes everybody on there  look bad from what I understand most people have pretty good luck with them… Online swap meet you don’t have to move from your  computer Great idea but anymore I don’t really feel comfortable dealing with strangers online or in person I would rather pay a little more through a reputable outfit bob 

• Like 2