Shop Talk

Onyx610

3 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Like you with the wheels of time magazines 

finally got to post office today with them. two boxes custom made 11lbs each. carried them across parking lot yesterday at post office only to find out it's a holiday (or whatever it's called now a days) and find PO closed.

I haven’t had to make too many serious tools yet, just a few bends or cuts. It’s guys like you, d-day, Joey Mack, fjh, etc.  I’d love to see pics from. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

Mech,. My plan is to disconnect the wires and cap them, and leave them in place. You may remember, I was going the leave the old wires in place just to show how it was built in 1948..  I think I'm going to make a swing away gauge panel under the dash, that I can swing up behind the dash at shows, so you won't see my modern crap.. :) jojo

• Like 2

I have lots of Wheels of Time magazines, and Double Clutch, and Old Time Trucks, and more that are no longer published. I can't throw them away, but i'm not a hoarder...I don't think. I have an old convenience store magazine rack stuffed full, 4 shoe boxes full, and more just stuffed anywhere I can find.

wot388.jpg.38c60665f0691ecb65bab42b2449c915.jpg

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Mech,. My plan is to disconnect the wires and cap them, and leave them in place. You may remember, I was going the leave the old wires in place just to show how it was built in 1948..  I think I'm going to make a swing away gauge panel under the dash, that I can swing up behind the dash at shows, so you won't see my modern crap.. :) jojo

I like class - work like that IS CLASS.🙂

dash is "same book" different chapter. I was thinking of a round speedo set up with other gauges around it . couldn't say what vehicle had that style ;; possibly my '49 EE/EF, . for sake of conversation; wouldn't the amp gauge show backward charge  when pos grd set to neg grd? would still work just read discharge when actually charging.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

dash is "same book" different chapter. I was thinking of a round speedo set up with other gauges around it . couldn't say what vehicle had that style ;; possibly my '49 EE/EF, . for sake of conversation; wouldn't the amp gauge show backward charge  when pos grd set to neg grd? would still work just read discharge when actually charging.

Amp gage will show backward if it's single post, and grounded through the casing.  But, it it has 2 insulated posts, you can reverse the wiring. 

• Thanks 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

My amp gauge does work. But I figure I will just un hook the wires and cap them..  then make a small gauge panel that I can hide under the dash, at truck shows..   I know I can make a new harness with a modern fuse panel, and get a clamp on turn signal wand, since there isn't one.  It would be nice to find a good horn button assembly for the steering wheel, but if I have to put a button in , I will...  

• Like 1

Me too...  I have an idea..  a small light wieght panel with extra wire and thermocoupler, in a enclosure, and put ceramic magnets on it, so when I'm driving I can stick it to my dash to see my gauges, and then be able to pull it off and hide it behind the dash..  I will put felt on the magnets to avoid scratches..  what do you think?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Me too...  I have an idea..  a small light wieght panel with extra wire and thermocoupler, in a enclosure, and put ceramic magnets on it, so when I'm driving I can stick it to my dash to see my gauges, and then be able to pull it off and hide it behind the dash..  I will put felt on the magnets to avoid scratches..  what do you think?? 

I know you'll come up with something slick!

By the way, I thought about how stupid my comments on the amp meter were while I was away from the computer.  I believe ALL amp meters will be 2-wire, because the current goes through them on its way to or from the battery!  I had volt meter on the brain for some reason.  Sorry!  Should be able to reverse the amp meter by swapping the wires.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

its all good,, hell I dont know either... im a 12 volt neg ground guy..   what seems simple, is sometimes things I make harder...   :)  jojo

Somebody posted on here that there were some starters that were not polarity-sensitive.  I don't know anything about that.  But, there's a lot I don't know!

DC motors are polarity-sensitive in general.  To reverse the system, you need to reverse the cables going to the starter.  The solenoid should be okay.  Lights work on resistance, so they don't care which way the juice flows.  I think fuel level sensors would be the same.  Amp meter needs to be reversed, because it is in series in the circuit.  Volt meter is usually an issue, because many of them were single wire.  I had to swap mine out for a 2-wire, insulated version.  It is in parallel to the basic system.  A 1-wire alternator is easy to add.

I really don't think there is all that much difference in the erosion of the joints in a negative ground system,  That was supposed to be the advantage of the positive ground system.  But...

I'm a firm believer in negative ground systems, because it's easier to add accessories (radios, etc.) to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

I never saw any of those magazines, however I did see a few that someone had and I think it was called “Bulldog Magazine” it was pretty cool. 

Wheels of Time is the American Truck Historical Society magazine for $52 a year and also includes a picture book of all trucks attending the national show that year. You can join online at aths.org 

The Double Clutch is the magazine of the Antique Truck Club of America for $36 per year and personally I like it better!!! Also you can join online at : antiquetruckclubofamerica.org or send me your email address and I can send you an application by email. Their national show is only about 50 miles north of you on RT 100 in Macungie on Fathers Day Weekend. About 800+ trucks!!!

Also look at your Tractor Supply store.. I think WOT is back on their rack?? And also Vintage Truck which favors trucks up to 2 1/2 ton. 

Edited by Brocky
  • Thanks 1

Brocky

4 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Wheels of Time is the American Truck Historical Society magazine for $52 a year and also includes a picture book of all trucks attending the national show that year. You can join online at aths.org 

The Double Clutch is the magazine of the Antique Truck Club of America for $36 per year and personally I like it better!!! Also you can join online at : antiquetruckclubofamerica.org or send me your email address and I can send you an application by email. Their national show is only about 50 miles north of you on RT 100 in Macungie on Fathers Day Weekend. About 800+ trucks!!!

Also look at your Tractor Supply store.. I think WOT is back on their rack?? And also Vintage Truck which favors trucks up to 2 1/2 ton. 

I’ve heard a lot about that Macungie show and apparently it’s amazing. There is a tractor supply around the corner from me, I’ll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

11 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Somebody posted on here that there were some starters that were not polarity-sensitive.  I don't know anything about that.  But, there's a lot I don't know!

DC motors are polarity-sensitive in general.  To reverse the system, you need to reverse the cables going to the starter.  The solenoid should be okay.  Lights work on resistance, so they don't care which way the juice flows.  I think fuel level sensors would be the same.  Amp meter needs to be reversed, because it is in series in the circuit.  Volt meter is usually an issue, because many of them were single wire.  I had to swap mine out for a 2-wire, insulated version.  It is in parallel to the basic system.  A 1-wire alternator is easy to add.

I really don't think there is all that much difference in the erosion of the joints in a negative ground system,  That was supposed to be the advantage of the positive ground system.  But...

I'm a firm believer in negative ground systems, because it's easier to add accessories (radios, etc.) to them.

Thinking about the fuel gage this morning.  Depending on how the gage is wired relative to the sending unit, it might work backward too.  If the gage is wired parallel to the variable resistor (sender), it might read okay.  But, if the gage is in series with the sender, it basically works like a amp meter, and would read backward.  Sorry, I do not know enough about that system to know for sure.

You'll figure it out!  I have no doubt.