Shop Talk

Onyx610

37 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I've got an Onan 4k rv unit hanging on the B for trailer power.  I never have got a cord made up to backfeed the house for the day I might need it.

I wouldn't mind finding something a bit larger for permanent house duty.  The 4k does well enough for the trailer a/c or microwave.  The motor runs okay, but being a 1978 model, it does use oil a touch.  Love to rebuild it but likely too costly and better off getting a cheapie Harbor fraud model like everyone else?

Larry, the guys at smokstak.com. onan generator section will help you rehab that set. And it is probably gonna be a lot cheaper than you think.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I used to frequent that site.

Two pistons/rings won't be too bad.  Machine work these days is not cheap.  My friends shop where I get all my stuff done will help in costs.  I rebuilt a 10hp Kohler in my old Cub cadet for basically nothing but piston/rod.  They even balanced it for me and ground the valve seats for new valves.

I suppose I could check prices on parts and go from there.  Only real wear part is the points and they don't have electronic conversions for the older BF models.  I just put points in it this past fall.  Like $50?  Geez.

Need to check slip ring also.  Makes good power but you never know if it is near the last leg.

Ive always wanted to find a diesel version so I could just run off truck tanks.  Buddy build me a 12 gal gas tank to hang on truck.

2013-06-29_16-08-03_780.jpg

2013-07-07_22-05-25_621.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

22 hours ago, tjc transport said:

Larry, the guys at smokstak.com. onan generator section will help you rehab that set. And it is probably gonna be a lot cheaper than you think.

I got on Onanparts.com and parts are sketchy at best.  Could get real pricey if I have to do valves and guides.  Might be able to fudge some of it?  Not sure I want to tear into it?

Larry

22 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Freight train,,. For what it's worth, I have several predator engines, and all of them start and run really good..  I have a 7500w generator with the 420 predator engine..  it runs my house very good.  I can go to bed at night knowing it will stay running..  They are around $800.00 with today's pricing..  I paid $600.00,, 5 years ago..  jojo

Is that a quiet genset or a screamer?  I don't to listen to a lawn mower run all night.  Don't want my neighbors to hear it either.

• Like 1

Larry

Not whisper quiet, but not a screamer either..  it is fairly quiet when I'm in the house.. it is not quiet like the nice Honda models..  I. An send a short video to your phone if you P.M. your number..  jojo

The Hobo Freight inverter generators are real quiet. I've got the 8750 watt which runs at 1800 rpm unless you put heavy load on then it kicks up. Even then it's a lot quieter than my old generator

• Like 1

very quiet, and very expensive. 

the 2400 yamaha i got my buddy paid $1,300 for around 10 years ago. it was too small to run the ac in his camper, so he bought a bigger one and put it up for sale.

no takers even at $750.

i noticed the for sale sign on it at a swap meet around 5 years ago and asked him what he wanted for it. he said give me $500 and get it out of my truck.

you can be standing over it at full load and have a full conversation with someone else without raising your voice. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Racer friend has 1k Honda and he fired it up to run his battery charger.  I let out a groan and said " We don't have to listen to that stupid noisy thing all day do we?".  We laughed.  You had to put your hand on it to know if it was running.

Another scenario, a racer one day showed up with a 6500 screamer and aimed the exhaust at my trailer.  He rolls his car our and promptly hooks up a battery charger.  I was like WTF?  Car was at home for a week, why would you need to charge it now??  I have a large awning on my trailer and my buddies all congregate under it.  When that racer finally shut that generator off, we all stood up and clapped.   Strange....that racer moved the generator around to the other side of his trailer.  Hmmm.  Annoy someone else.  He had a $40k racecar and a $400 generator.  I hate those kind of racers.

• Like 2

Larry

Zap!!!!  thats why you flip the main breaker off, before you start the Genny,  and dissconnect Genny by flipping the breakers for it, or shut the engine and unplug it then flip the Main back on..  :) 

They make an interlock so that you have to turn the main breaker off to turn the generator breaker on.

I use a lockout device on the main breaker, so it is locked in the off position

at night I can tell when the power is back on by the street lights 

30874A0C-9E30-4821-A1D8-2FDD802B102C.jpeg

917A9E7A-EFBB-4FA0-8146-2183390410FB.jpeg

A1B0C00F-4710-4AB0-B42C-A10A189448E3.jpeg

479147E5-DCA6-436F-A0E5-B979B38B2414.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Zap!!!!  thats why you flip the main breaker off, before you start the Genny,  and dissconnect Genny by flipping the breakers for it, or shut the engine and unplug it then flip the Main back on..  :) 

OK, thanks for your help guys. I was thinking about that today. Hey, wait a minute What happens if the power comes on?

when the power comes on,,  you just shut down the Genny, disconnect it,,  then flip the main house breaker back on...   then you have to go back inside and reset all the stuff that needs resetting,,,   Microwave clock, t.v. router,  security cameras,  home stereos with pre-set channels,,,   blahh blahh blahh...  Im just happy the power is back on...   :)  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

It’s called back feeding and it’s also dangerous to the guys working on the power lines. 

I always wondered about that. Would the generator even run with the main open? In theory wouldn't it just stall the generator or not even start to begin with? I mean isn't that the same as trying to power the whole town that has lost power? Or do the transformers no allow the generator power to reach the main wires? I'm pretty weak at understanding electrical and big power....

• Like 1

so if you back feed your panel 'after' the poles coming in...  Like in my panel.  When I flip my main 'Off'..  I am separated from the the power lines on the street... therefore, I am not charging those lines.. I am Isolated..  Once the street power is back on, I flip the generator breakers in my panel, and now I am not energizing my panel, so then i can flip the main breaker back on,  and then I am powered up by the street lines..  

• Like 1

67,,,,  I do not know about the laws..  However,   I am cautious, and I doubt someone with a clip board is going to inspect my set-up in the middle of a storm..   :)   with respect,,  jojo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I always wondered about that. Would the generator even run with the main open? In theory wouldn't it just stall the generator or not even start to begin with? I mean isn't that the same as trying to power the whole town that has lost power? Or do the transformers no allow the generator power to reach the main wires? I'm pretty weak at understanding electrical and big power....

For the most part it’s really only dangerous to anyone on the other end. But today most utility companies have ways to tell if it’s live or not and always have their PPE on like 33kv gloves. 

Generators are one of those things you buy and hope you never have to use it haha. One of a few things I don’t mind spending good money on to collect dust. Another would be a snow blower….