Shop Talk

Onyx610

On 1/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, Joey Mack said:

I have a new project...  I have been putting it off for a while now, but it has to get done.. My awesome '97 Tacoma has cancer for the 3rd. time..  I'm trying to keep it together until I can find a donor frame to do a swap..  It has only 190,000 miles, 5spd. 4WD..  Its been a great truck..  

KIMG1561.JPG

KIMG1564.JPG

KIMG1566.JPG

Wow that’s bad..

Yes MACKS, it is bad.. many years of winter driving in Maine, really sped up the cancer..  I have fixed other spots 2 times, this is #3..  I put pictures back up so you can see what I have going on..  It was really hard to get a good weld on it, given the tight area and my welder is small, and gasless...  Its not pretty, but she doesnt make cracking noises when driving anymore.. 

KIMG1566.JPG

KIMG1588.JPG

KIMG1593.JPG

Joey about 20 years back I bought a project truck for my daughters first vehicle ! 83 yota 4x4 had the same or worse issues I had a old 70's  f150 frame layin around the claim. I cut the yota frame off at the back  of the cab and  I married that rear section to the yota by way of an out sert that extended to the front cab mount just behind the front rear shackle! took a lot of slicing and messing about to the ford frame but the job turned out great ! bought the truck for 750 sold it for 4300 . I also built a flat deck for it as the box had alot of rust ! I bolted the outsert to the oem frame and the flanges were a snug fit to the top and bottom! Just another avenue of repair if you got a good cab and old f 150 frame laying about! 😂

• Like 1

Thats awesome FJH,  Yeah, i dont have any ford frames, :) I still kick myself for not buying a new frame years ago, when I was making good money.  They were just over $2300,00..   Now they are ove $3,000.00..  Maybe I will find a Yota with crash damage or blown engine for a cheap price and do a swap..  I have had this truck for 22 years and I'm not ready to feed it to the crusher.. :) 

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Thats awesome FJH,  Yeah, i dont have any ford frames, :) I still kick myself for not buying a new frame years ago, when I was making good money.  They were just over $2300,00..   Now they are ove $3,000.00..  Maybe I will find a Yota with crash damage or blown engine for a cheap price and do a swap..  I have had this truck for 22 years and I'm not ready to feed it to the crusher.. :) 

Problem is with spending even 2000 bucks on a frame if someone runs into you your vehicle is worth barely a 1000  in the eyes of the insurance criminals!

• Like 1

I  also built an 83 yota 4x4 rock crawler with my son and we married frame parts from a Pristine two wheel drive with a blown engine to the  85 or so club cab 4x4 ! of coarse  a lot of after market gear went into this unit as well it was fun to build ! tons of after market stuff out there for the 4X4  yota crowd!

• Like 1

That great too.  Yes to Yota parts,, there are a couple shops around here that love to modify them..  In my case, its a daily driver and gets descent mileage, compared to all of my other trucks..  I only have a small amount invested..  basically wire for the welder, and I did buy a small LED spot light for $35.00..   So all in.. I have a bout $50.00 invested.. the metal was free, came from a job site scrap pile..  Oh yeah, I did use up (1) 4 1/2" grinder wheel..  :) jojo

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Yes MACKS, it is bad.. many years of winter driving in Maine, really sped up the cancer..  I have fixed other spots 2 times, this is #3..  I put pictures back up so you can see what I have going on..  It was really hard to get a good weld on it, given the tight area and my welder is small, and gasless...  Its not pretty, but she doesnt make cracking noises when driving anymore.. 

KIMG1566.JPG

KIMG1588.JPG

KIMG1593.JPG

JoJo   your small welder (gasless) is it a 115 v ? how do you like it. I borrowed my brothers since i don't have a welder anymore. it is a hobart 115v gasless. I can't get it to bead well no matter how clean the steel. guess i got tooo use to having gas combo. or bigger  stick rod welder. not to mention eyes can't see sh-t anymore.

Yes Mecho,  It is a 115 A/C lincoln,, SP 135.. it is 22 years old..  It can accept a gas bottle, I just dont have one.. $175.00 to get a filled bottle.. Its an OK welder, but for some reason the wire feed sucks..  It will feed good and do a good job at times, and then, as you can see in the picture, some of welds look like a row of single beads.. That is what happens when the wire doesnt feed good..  I was laying on my side trying to weld this, but I couldnt see my bead as I welded..  I ended up taking my helmet off to get closer, and closing my eyes when i struck an arc.  My face was sunburned the next day :) ..  So,back to the question..  If you are working with 3/16" and thinner, I think you will like it.  However, the flux core wire splatters a lot.  I have done quite a bit of body panel repairs with it and they came out pretty good for a self taught glue gun operator :) 

Bob,  I'm gonna keep fixing it..  I can pull the bed off in less than 30 minutes, and I dont have to pull the fuel tank in the future, because all of the frame on that side is new  :) luckily , the frame under the cab and to the front is in really good shape..  Enjoy the Snow..  Jojo

I am enjoying the snow from the living room sofa ha ha yeah as I mentioned, it been doing a pretty good job might as well just keep on going. Looks like you got most of it knocked out already. Anyway, looking forward to Eagles game.

• Like 1

Bob,  I was thinking about the labor I put into fixing my Yota..  I gave it hell last saturday, and then an hour or 2 after work 3 times, and then yesterday was about 3 hours or so..  I guess I really only have about 15-20 hours in it..  It was also the worst cancer that I have fixed on it..  It's all good...  With the price of used trucks today,  I am just fine with what I did..  It's a releif knowing that is safe to drive..  Thanks again Bud,,   Jojo