Shop Talk

Onyx610

Still confused how Mrs. Mack Paul can put down three hours of video at a time, and I still have trouble with photographs, never mind video clips I could not post them at all freight train says I have to go through YouTube and you have to open account all that bullshit seems like a lot of work then you have a whole world we’re looking at your stuff not sure if that’s what I’m looking for .. Bob

• Haha 1

I was behind an electric Ford lightning at a stop light the other day. The chassis looks crazy. The back suspension are these insanely large aluminum A arms and there is a CV shaft going to each wheel end. No conventional differential and solid rear axle. It seemed like it sat a lot higher than a regular f150 but I’m not sure. 

I believe all electric vehicles have 4 independent drive motors so a solid axle would be hard to do and not the best option. Those massive a-arms are pry aluminum and help house those massive drive motors. Idk? All a guess to me….

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I am building a "shop built" generator. Below is the power source. Its a clone of a Lister CS single cylinder diesel. Its rated at 8hp at 650 rpm. I will be turning a 6kW Allis Chalmers generator head originally meant to be driven off the belt pulley of a tractor. Its a 4 pole head so I will need to speed it up to 1800rpm for 60hz power. Its all really just a fun fabrication and design project. I will have an insane amount of money into it just to put out a measly 6kW. And it wont be  all practical since it will be so heavy and stationary. I think the bare engine is around 1100 pounds. I figure another 1000 pounds or so for the I-beam skid I am going to build and the generator head. For standby power now I have a little vintage 3500 watt Kohler with a Briggs engine on it that puts out 220V I can back feed my panel with enough to run my natural gas furnace, the refrigerator and a few lights. I also have the coal stove and a variety of old wood stoves for heat if things get real bad. 

IMG_1873.jpg

That will last forever & a day..!!!
I've Got a 1926 Lister Petrol Motor (The Crankcase,Flywheels ect Look Indentical to That) That I drive My Sawbench with & cut All our Firewood with..!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

That will last forever & a day..!!!
I've Got a 1926 Lister Petrol Motor (The Crankcase,Flywheels ect Look Indentical to That) That I drive My Sawbench with & cut All our Firewood with..!

Ahhh the perks of being a British colony. Old lister engines probably everywhere down there. Sadly they were never really common here. Then India cloned them. The quality of the the clones is shotty at best. They need completely torn down, and cleaned of casting sand and reassembled before they can be run. Our EPA banned the importing of them a while back and you don’t hardly see any at all now. Some people try to sneak them in as “air compressors” with the injection pump removed but I think the customs people are wise to that now. They are certainly a unique engine. If you know then you know…..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

OK I think I was damn lucky to get this one down loaded enjoy fellas it’s not much…. Bob

You gotta get it finished by June of 2027. I just got the latest ATHS magazine the other day and they are saying the national convention show for 2027 is going to be in Reno, NV. June 10-12…..right in your back yard

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Ahhh the perks of being a British colony. Old lister engines probably everywhere down there. Sadly they were never really common here. Then India cloned them. The quality of the the clones is shotty at best. They need completely torn down, and cleaned of casting sand and reassembled before they can be run. Our EPA banned the importing of them a while back and you don’t hardly see any at all now. Some people try to sneak them in as “air compressors” with the injection pump removed but I think the customs people are wise to that now. They are certainly a unique engine. If you know then you know…..

India is a good source of Parts for them, Though they won't let you bring in Headgaskets anymore 'cause they contain asbestos..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

i have an assortment of gensets. 

a 2400watt yamaha inverter. for away from home use.  it is so quiet you can have a conversation with it running at your feet. 

a 5000 watt generac someone gave me not running. it likes to break a valve retainer and loose compression so i do not depend on it. 

a 1954 onan 10CCKB 3600rpm screamer. 10,000 watt. 

a miller bobcat 250 welder that is also 10,000 watt generator. 

and an onan 15jc 10,000 watt natural gas unit connected directly to the house with an automatic transfer switch. 

i always recommend getting a generator larger than what you thing you will need by at least 50%

if you think you will need 5,000 watts, get a 7,500 or 10,000 watt unit

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Thanks for all your input fellas and Joey the air starter system I put in.myself  27  years ago? Is all still in good working condition which floors me but yes, as old as all the parts are at holds  air for about two months drops around 30 pounds…. It was originally electric start I was having trouble trying to get it started decided to get rid of the whole deal and go air … we’ll back to the old grind… Bob

• Like 2

The Indian Listers, were called Metex for a while in Australia and then Field Marshall like the Pomy tractors, they were a good enough copy

They missed out on the CS (cold start) head and chrome bore so could be a bugger to start when they get a bit of age on them

A mate had them on his farm, I have only ever had CS Listers, singles and twins

I wonder how it goes with the drum (barrel) of water for cooling in places that get bellow freezing for long periods

They are surprisingly quiet for a big single cylinder diesel and I always felt the power rating was very conservitive 

My mate put a flex plate and starter motor off a car on his Metex copies and apart from a blown head gasket gave many decades of good service 

Paul 

• Like 1

I have little knowledge on listers, however, I used to operate a lot of early 90's Moffett Mounty's that had Lister Peter engines..  they seemed to be pretty good... They sure did rattle a lot when running.  I believe they had one head per cylinder, which I liked.. The Moffett that I own has a Mitsubishi diesel, and mine is also a 1989 model..    Well, that's all I got..  jojo

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I wonder how it goes with the drum (barrel) of water for cooling in places that get bellow freezing for long periods

I plan to use a thermosiphon radiator off of an old John Deere LUC power unit with a cooling fan driven off the engine flywheels. The cooling fan will blow across the radiator much like a vehicle's cooling system. It will take some trial and error / testing once I have it up and running to see what kind of load I can keep cool and for how long. I don't think it will be a problem with a 6kW load, which is all my generator head can supply. I believe the LUC engine was rated at 16hp so I should have plenty of cooling with its radiator in this application. Of course I will be using a 50/50 glycol / water mix to prevent freezing. 

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 2

And yes the CS clones that are here in the sates go by many names, Metro, Field Marshall, DES, GTS, Powerline, and many others. From my understanding the "brand" is more or less the assembler and/or exporter. I think there are many workshops in Pune, India that assemble them for anybody and everybody with little to no difference between them. They are just copies of the original CS Listers manufactured in Dursley England. 

Edited by 67RModel

On 1/2/2023 at 6:28 PM, 67RModel said:

You gotta get it finished by June of 2027. I just got the latest ATHS magazine the other day and they are saying the national convention show for 2027 is going to be in Reno, NV. June 10-12…..right in your back yard

I’ve seen it here twice so far here’s hoping that should be enough to get in pretty good shape maybe drive it out of my yard with brand new paint before I die bucket list for sure.. Bob

Well, my plan is too straighted and print everything separately so perhaps some of it will be painted and some of it won’t how does that sound? See any reason why I won’t be there with that. Thanks for the inspiration bud….. bob

I've got an Onan 4k rv unit hanging on the B for trailer power.  I never have got a cord made up to backfeed the house for the day I might need it.

I wouldn't mind finding something a bit larger for permanent house duty.  The 4k does well enough for the trailer a/c or microwave.  The motor runs okay, but being a 1978 model, it does use oil a touch.  Love to rebuild it but likely too costly and better off getting a cheapie Harbor fraud model like everyone else?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Freight train,,. For what it's worth, I have several predator engines, and all of them start and run really good..  I have a 7500w generator with the 420 predator engine..  it runs my house very good.  I can go to bed at night knowing it will stay running..  They are around $800.00 with today's pricing..  I paid $600.00,, 5 years ago..  jojo

• Like 2