1070B 12 speed to Fuller 15 Speed

Brandt

After I broke my 1070 12 speed, I decided to replace it with an RTLO 15 speed.  The shop is running into many problems with the bell housing/motor mounts. The local Mack dealer is clueless on old stuff and stuff that he can't use the VIN to get parts.  I will probably give my mechanic access to my BMT account so that I can get out of the middle and let knowledgeable people figure this out.

If anybody has done this before, I (we) are all ears!!

1991 RD 690 EM7 Maxidyne. Mack top loader diffs.

This is how it all started:

Edited by Brandt

• Brandt changed the title to 1070B 12 speed to Fuller 15 Speed
52 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Are you needing the part number for the bell housing to fit the Eaton tranny.  I have a VIN from an '87 Superliner, with the 15 spd. Eaton.. bolted to an E-9..  jojo

That should work ! They will have to build their own mounts is all !

• Thanks 1

When I swapped my t2090 to eaton, I got an aluminum bell housing..over time the steel rivets cast in the aluminum busted off because of torque I believe.being a dump truck and off-road all the time didn't help it none.Long story short ,it broke off the passenger side transmission mount and whole engine leaned to the side..it broke the econovance fitting and engine ran itself mostly out of oil until the low oil pressure shut her down...I guess what I'm trying to say is when converting to eaton , look for the steel bell housing..

Red

Edited by R.E.D

might be interesting to hear the meaning behind "I broke my 1070 12speed. " misuse , old age , bad shift ????? . 12 speed broke   what's stopping the 15 from  breaking after all the change-over. just wondering . i know things break; that;s what kept me with a pay check for 50 yrs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 63BMack said:

If I remember he posted a while back something about he was building air and the air built up and the selector valve was in gear and messed something up in the transmission. Must not had it in neutral 

must be me and old school way of thinking. when ever someone started a truck with manual trans, always push the clutch down and check shift lever for neutral so clutch pedal could be let go. not condemning  any situation ; maybe 15 speed was in stock . never had air problems with the quad.  i know it's just difficult to accept these new air transmissions and many other "advancements". but then the all manual trans have short comings (rarely).

while 3 possible buyer watched ; myself and another mech  were in the process of tow-starting a H67T one cold day . he had the wrecker, i had the H67. -with a twin stick duplex. no air built up and only a hand brake (found out it didn't work) . he stopped quick i let up the clutch-- BAM  right into the boom of the wrecker. point is ALWAYS make sure both sticks are in gear, compound was in neutral  LOL

• Haha 2

at the least I reach into the truck and check the shifter to see if its in nuetral, especially on freight shakers, like the one thats in my shop today, because the key is in the bottom left corner and its easy to just stick the key in and crank while standing on the ground.. so i reach in and push the stick to be sure..  :) jojo

• Like 1

99.89% of the time I leave the stick in N when I shut it off. This time I was parked on a steep grade and decided to leave it in gear. I just reached in to start it because the ground dropped away and would have required a 4' step/climb to get all the way in.  I sure wish it would have lurched when I put juice to the starter, but it didn't.  15 minutes later, when I returned, the damage was done. Maybe if I wasn't as deaf as a post I would have heard a grinding noise from where I was working, but w/o hearing aids in and more than likely ear plugs in - not a chance of me hearing anything!

• Sad 1

We've all done stupid stuff. I managed to get our 1979 R686 Maxidyne engine to run backwards, lol... You can stall the engine out in such a way that the crankshaft "bounces" in the opposite direction and the engine will run backwards.... A quick pull on the stop knob, bump the key, and you're back up and running!

• Like 1

Only reason I knew right away it happened was my dad says he did it once upon a time. Otherwise I would have been scratching my head as to why the 2 stick R made it go forward and D made it go backwards!  10 years later and the truck still runs like a Mack.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JoeH said:

We've all done stupid stuff. I managed to get our 1979 R686 Maxidyne engine to run backwards, lol... You can stall the engine out in such a way that the crankshaft "bounces" in the opposite direction and the engine will run backwards.... A quick pull on the stop knob, bump the key, and you're back up and running!

Did just that with my 3208 cat twice!

On 2/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, Brandt said:

99.89% of the time I leave the stick in N when I shut it off. This time I was parked on a steep grade and decided to leave it in gear. I just reached in to start it because the ground dropped away and would have required a 4' step/climb to get all the way in.  I sure wish it would have lurched when I put juice to the starter, but it didn't.  15 minutes later, when I returned, the damage was done. Maybe if I wasn't as deaf as a post I would have heard a grinding noise from where I was working, but w/o hearing aids in and more than likely ear plugs in - not a chance of me hearing anything!

That there is a real shitty misshape and could happen to anyone! Its kind like stopping the truck and forgetting to pull the spring brake knob! I always park in neutral habit wise How ever! twelve speed I tri to park it at least in the direction the truck is going to travel the next morning  hi or low in case the air shift sticks for some reason   ( been burned ) at least it can get to the shop that way! Bummer man! sad for you this here is the best dump trans going! in my mind! that said there should be lots of fuller 18 speeds out there for Mack just throwing that out there  you got to stretch the drive shaft anyway!

On 2/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, Brandt said:

Crescent Ridge shop in PA, provided my mechanic with a parts list needed. We'll see how it works out soon enough.

I think you mean Cresson Ridge.  They are the absolute best there is.  I sent a driver with a tri axle CL tractor there to have a Mack 18 converted to a Fuller 18.  They had him out the door in 7 hours and even had a little drama getting some mounts.  I have had zero issues with that truck and their transmission.  If they can't help you, you can't be helped!  I've had two Mack 12 speeds.  I don't like that trans and no longer have the trucks.  Tough to find drivers that you don't have to teach that trans to.  Last thing I want in my trucks.