Unexpected purchase. DM686

12 hours ago, yarnall said:

That’s great.  Congratulations.  Maybe you should pretend you went on a long journey and  send some photos of the countryside. Mike. 

We always enjoy pictures of your countryside!! Whether on a truck retrieval run or just a Bike / car ride.. I have forwarded you earlier topics pictures to my son-in-law who is 2nd generation Ukrainian. 

That wrecker looks like a cross between what we call a roll back and a ramped low boy trailer, with an under axle lift mounted on the back??  Got some more pictures of it???

Brocky

20 hours ago, 85snowdog said:

Now I see why you were asking about tires , lol

Congratulations  on your new find. Great story to. :twothumbsup:

We have more than an R688 in common now 

Thank you Keith. Yes, honestly I hate the look of the front wheels of DM when narrow 20 inch wheels are fitted on spoke hubs. So strongly going to put something wider and with positive offset. I'm thinking of 385/65R22.5 so far but found out Dayton rims wider than 8.25" is hens teeth in my part of the world. The only option I found so far is a set of 14" wide rims somewhere in Siberia and they asked nearly $1K for 6 rusty barrels. 14inch seems to wide for my blood and another possibility seen is cutting centers off 11.75 trailer wheels which are pretty common here and weld in a fitting ring off 8.25 Daytons. Big lathe is needed to do this job and and all those spoken wheels to buy. So looks like an entertainment you should get prepaired for and much better to avoid it at all purchasing ready rims instead.

You're right, now we have more than one smilar truck in common. And you seem having the most kinds of the Mack "softnousers":thumb:

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

19 hours ago, yarnall said:

That’s great.  Congratulations.  Maybe you should pretend you went on a long journey and  send some photos of the countryside. Mike. 

Mike, I hope I will make a few more long journeys in my life. Sometimes you just should force yourself to do crazy things to fill up the life with bright colors. Although the trip was short I made a few pics down the road anyway. Mack didn't have any lights at the rear (someone found another use for them) and to my surprize the wrecker guy didn't have a light panel to temporary install on a towed vehicle. So I preferred to follow him all the way being that light panel.

IMG_20210708_152318_resize.jpg

IMG_20210708_145500_resize.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 609albert said:

what type of wrecker ,tow truck is that, and also how did you get to Russia ,did you come from U.S.A.?  Is their a lot of Macks their ?

No, I'm a local aborigen. Never lived in the States. Just got lucky attending Macungie show a couple of times and that was about all my US experience.

The wrecker was a single axle roll off truck which also had hydraulic arm to put under a front axle for towing. It's called "brill" here for some reason. So the truck could transport light vehicles on its bad and tow heavier ones at the same time. The driver said that Scania was originally a car transporter tractor-trailer and was refurbished into the current shape by a shop. Honestly I got surprized when the driver said he was eager to tow the Mack since it was definitely heavy for that wrecker. But he gave my attractive cost and it was his business not mine.  Also a good point was the wrecker wasn't long. There's a sharp corner when you're entering my street and he had better chances to slick into the curve than a bigger size unit. I had a MH-model purchased a few years back and it was delivered by a wrecker. It didn't go into my street and I had to pull the MH with a rope by my 4x4.

Speaking about Macks in Russia they are really scarce. Putting aside a hundered or so Visions/Pinnacles you can count the rest of rigs using your fingers. Actually I do it from time to time. Of the rigs known there were nearly 10 R-models, 30-40 DM's, 7 or 8 MH's, 10 or so newer RD's, 3 known DMM's, 10 or so CH's, 4 CL's, 10 or 20 CS, a couple of MS, 1 Cruiseliner, 10 or so MR concrete pump units. There was a lot of nearly 700 NR-models supplied Under Lend-Lease in 43-45 but only one chassis survived. Visions continue working. The same with a few CH's. A few DM's must be still in operation together with 3 known R's. The same with MR's and RD's. I think 2 or 3 CS are still alive. 1 MH showed up in Vladivostok but I don't know if it still exists. 2 more are in my yard. Also 2 R's, WS, one DMM, the NR... Now the DM too. So I belive no less than 50% of historical Macks in the country are in my collection now:)

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brocky said:

We always enjoy pictures of your countryside!! Whether on a truck retrieval run or just a Bike / car ride.. I have forwarded you earlier topics pictures to my son-in-law who is 2nd generation Ukrainian. 

That wrecker looks like a cross between what we call a roll back and a ramped low boy trailer, with an under axle lift mounted on the back??  Got some more pictures of it???

That's cool. I'm glad to hear of anybody enjoying my posts. Mentioning Ukraine I personally don't like the way of things my country currently gets into relating that country but I would like to keep away from political discussions. Sorry no good photos of the wrecker excepting the posted ones. I described the most I could about the truck in the post above.

I have a T2070 laying in a shop. Seems nothing extraordinar to put it in there. I even have offset shift lever off a DM for it. That tranny has 4th direct but also 0.60 over which would improve highway performance sufficiently. Two speeds of the low range would work no worse than the Lo in the 6-speed at my suggestion. So the main issue is the time you need to put your hands on those bolts and nuts.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, Vladislav said:

Thank you Keith. Yes, honestly I hate the look of the front wheels of DM when narrow 20 inch wheels are fitted on spoke hubs. So strongly going to put something wider and with positive offset. I'm thinking of 385/65R22.5 so far but found out Dayton rims wider than 8.25" is hens teeth in my part of the world. The only option I found so far is a set of 14" wide rims somewhere in Siberia and they asked nearly $1K for 6 rusty barrels. 14inch seems to wide for my blood and another possibility seen is cutting centers off 11.75 trailer wheels which are pretty common here and weld in a fitting ring off 8.25 Daytons. Big lathe is needed to do this job and and all those spoken wheels to buy. So looks like an entertainment you should get prepaired for and much better to avoid it at all purchasing ready rims instead.

You're right, now we have more than one smilar truck in common. And you seem having the most kinds of the Mack "softnousers":thumb:

Heres a pic of some 385's on my RD compared to 445 's on the DM .

You mentioned your specs. It made me curious as to what rears were in my DM .After checking , It has 5.55 rears. I didn't know but after checking BMT , it turns out its kinda common with a T2070 and 300 maxidyne . I learn something new every day on this site . 

IMG_7148.jpeg.b94e8e01730583cfd8b2ba551a7994a6.jpeg

• Like 1

Keith 

19 hours ago, 85snowdog said:

Heres a pic of some 385's on my RD compared to 445 's on the DM .

You mentioned your specs. It made me curious as to what rears were in my DM .After checking , It has 5.55 rears. I didn't know but after checking BMT , it turns out its kinda common with a T2070 and 300 maxidyne . I learn something new every day on this site . 

IMG_7148.jpeg.b94e8e01730583cfd8b2ba551a7994a6.jpeg

The 5.55 is a figure I also came along. Those are installed in the DMM I accuired a few years back. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much with the truck. The cab was removed for transportation (not by me) ans some damage to air lines and other small stuff was done. Also the bab itself needs some fix and paint so it seems as a shame to put it back on the chassis in a shape it currently is in. The truck is equipped with EM6-285 and T2060 which has the same hi range ratios as T2070 or T2080. BTW DMM has 445/65 at the front and I could found wide Budd wheels to fit the same type of tyres to the rears. So gonna be a hot looking unit when it's done.

A question - do you have an idea on the width of the front rims both of your RD and DM have? I'm curious on what size would work for 385/65? It's very common tyre size in Euroope for the most trailers which have 3 axles at the rear and ride on 6 such wheels. Also many tractors have them at the steer axle. But they all mounts on "Budd" style wheels. I type it this way since European wheels have different bolt pattern, actually larger stud circle so those wheels don't seem correctly called Budds. Ok, no matter, those wheels are 11.75 wide and I belive American wheels of that width don't exist.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vladislav said:

The 5.55 is a figure I also came along. Those are installed in the DMM I accuired a few years back. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much with the truck. The cab was removed for transportation (not by me) ans some damage to air lines and other small stuff was done. Also the bab itself needs some fix and paint so it seems as a shame to put it back on the chassis in a shape it currently is in. The truck is equipped with EM6-285 and T2060 which has the same hi range ratios as T2070 or T2080. BTW DMM has 445/65 at the front and I could found wide Budd wheels to fit the same type of tyres to the rears. So gonna be a hot looking unit when it's done.

A question - do you have an idea on the width of the front rims both of your RD and DM have? I'm curious on what size would work for 385/65? It's very common tyre size in Euroope for the most trailers which have 3 axles at the rear and ride on 6 such wheels. Also many tractors have them at the steer axle. But they all mounts on "Budd" style wheels. I type it this way since European wheels have different bolt pattern, actually larger stud circle so those wheels don't seem correctly called Budds. Ok, no matter, those wheels are 11.75 wide and I belive American wheels of that width don't exist.

I think they are 14 inch rims Vlad. But let me double check and get back to you. I will figure out the offset on them to. 

Keith 

9 hours ago, 85snowdog said:

I think they are 14 inch rims Vlad. But let me double check and get back to you. I will figure out the offset on them to. 

Thanks. I do belive 14 inch would work fine for 445's. But have worries on good fit of 385 on them. If you have a minute check out the blue truck. No rush with that.

2 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Thanks. I do belive 14 inch would work fine for 445's. But have worries on good fit of 385 on them. If you have a minute check out the blue truck. No rush with that.

I got the size wrong Vlad. After checking , I was able to get you some good info that may help you . 

The RD with 385's has a part # on it of 31674.   Thats a 22.5 X 12.25 rim with 3 inch offset .  

298843390_FullSizeRender2.jpeg.67819ea7328f8ae61f35c9093d9c0cd1.jpeg

The DM with 445's has a part # on of 13228.  Thats a 22.5 X 13 with 3.94 offset.

That number is no good any more . But by dimension I was able to get a new number. 

The new # is 32201TK .  

FullSizeRender.jpeg.34e450922d2c5d4da5749a1f8570dc63.jpeg

The rim part numbers are Accuride  numbers . And the way I understand it . The offset is from the centre of the rim , not the outside edge.

But I could be wrong , lol . Ive been wrong before . 

Hope it helps. 

Keith 

Keith, many thanks for the sizes and especially for the numbers. I made a quick look and it appeared like your info helped a lot to narrow down the search.

• 3 weeks later...