Tip Turbine

mrsmackpaul

Your truck looks good. I love the all season shop its in . I'm guessing if you want under a roof or in a shop its to avoid the sun .

Do you have a hard time finding brake parts for your truck ? I'm one of a few that still run spoke wheels.   But in my part of the world its getting difficult to get parts , and if you can find them they are VERY expensive. The steer axle is the worst. The drives are not as bad . 

Keith 

I hope you didn't think I was being smart about the open air workshop.  I'm jealous .  It gets pretty cold here  . It's hard on the hands trying to repair something outside. If its broke though, sometimes you don't have a choice. My hands give me troubles now from being froze more than once . 

Your new building sounds impressive :twothumbsup:

Keith 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, 85snowdog said:

I hope you didn't think I was being smart about the open air workshop.  I'm jealous .  It gets pretty cold here  . It's hard on the hands trying to repair something outside. If its broke though, sometimes you don't have a choice. My hands give me troubles now from being froze more than once . 

Your new building sounds impressive :twothumbsup:

Not thinking you were a smart ass at all, we really have no idea about how others live and the conditions they live and work in, how could we as we aren't living in their world

Well I guess for your cold we get heat in summer, well over a 100 degrees in the old money for weeks at a time

Winters can be a tad uncomfortable as well, for me anyway, down 25 degrees f, - 4 degrees Celsius 

For you blokes that might be a nice day but we dont really dress for it or have clothes suitable for that weather because by 9 or 10 in the morning it generally is a nice day 

20200724-070712.jpg

The morning shown the air start valves were frozen shut and we weren't going anywhere quick

Once again not cold by a lot of the world's standard but pretty cold for me brrrrr

So building of the shed is going to take me a while as I'll do it all myself as that's the way I was bought up

Gunna mix my own concrete, well over a 100 cubic meters, make my own frames and trusses, the lot 

Paul

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Achieved some more, the Tip Turbine is all back together 

Never got a answer on the grease so just used wheel bearing grease

received_738603373433361.jpg

So it's all back together and fitted back to the truck

received_910790653015103.jpgreceived_719652378738377.jpg

Then proceeded to fix the stub axle nuts that hold the bearings on after some clowns had taken to them with a hammer and chisel, no doubt Les and Vern 

So welded them and ground them back with a flap wheel

Now I need to find a socket to fit 

20210214_161538.jpg

20210214_161523.jpg20210214_154543.jpg

They came up pretty good I thought

Paul

Good job ! Appears Crocks been nawing on those someone did a a few wheel seals before u got there! 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I'll have a go today at spanner building Swishman 

You'll be right paul.. I've got a few Homemade Spanners in Stock as well..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Well I realize this all a bit hum drum boring type of stuff but with not a huge amount going on on the forum I guess I  best shiw everyone how not to do it 🤔

So as usual my day never goes to plan, I  do question why I even bother with plans 😏

So I woke to find a parcel waiting at the gate this morning, it was my valves for the back end

Was having breaky and the phone rings, my compressor had turned up and was also waiting for me 

So I figure its time to fit the compressor and all the other stuff that hangs off it and surrounds it 

So I first have to fit couplings and remove couplings off the old one

I dunno how compressors are fitted in other parts of the world but we have the added bonus of steering  shafts amd treadle valves and clutches and other stuff that makes oh so much roomier

So after a few  attempts at trying lift and fit bolts and dropping the compressor and going crook at the world I decide I need a plan 'B'

So I make a hook, strap or lifting hook or what ever we call it

And bolt it to the top of the compressor 

Chuck a ratchet strap up and over the supports for the radiator and hoist the compressor up and amazingly it slides straight in

20210216-102957.jpg

20210216-125130.jpg

20210216-125134.jpg

After that cluster of a job it took the rest of the day to fit all the rest of the stuff around the compressor 

So the powet steering is all hooked up along with the water or coolant 

So the job is nearing end, I'm bit frustrated, annoyed at myself as everything is locked down with Covid crap and I have had to make gaskets, normally this isnt a drama for me and would just make them but I'm all out of gasket material and can't just toddle off down the street but we aren't allowed to do that at the moment 

So for the first time in years I have gone back to a cardboard box 

Im frustrated as I didn't get better organized 

Not to worry, hopefully in a few days it will be sorted and I can get the proper gaskets 

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, terry said:

Thats what happens with them right hand drive trucks!!😂  terry:MackLogo:

Considering that everything was pretty much built for a LHD the conversion covers it up completely, when I fixed the cab and unbolted all the brackets etc off the firewall all the holes for LHD are there but things are so well placed you would never know 

I know a fella that worked for Mack Australia back when R models were still coming off the production line and has to me they had templates made to place everything just right to achieve this

Occasionally we come across this problem were as good as things were done there is just a mess to work around, however it's soon forgotten once everything is fitted back together again 

Paul

• Like 1

Well all the motor end is back together 

Time to look at the range change on the box

Pulled the seats and rolled the floor mat up ready to pull the floor out

Thought I might as well change that air filter and see if it improves the shifting, had no clunk to it no more, as in it didn't go clunk when sliding it into gear

I had the new filter on hand so it had to be changed anyway

It was black on the inside to look at so I decided to cut it open

received-136028881641853.jpg

20210217-203228.jpg

Yuck, I  did expect it to be pretty bad as the compressor was pumping oil fairly well

So thru some air in Mrs Mack and worked the high low spliter and it improved quite a bit after a few hundred shifts, I figured I have most of stuff out on the ground to pull the top off the transmission I might as well do it now just to 100% sure the bolt hasnt come loose

20210217-172120.jpg

20210217-175155.jpg

20210217-174252.jpg

Turns out the bolts were tight and all was ok

I know there will be some colourful language used getting it back together, this isnt my first rodeo

I have done this on the side of the road once and fish the bolt out of the box with a magnet

So the lid will go back on and put it all back together 

Changed one of the relay valves for the back end, will change the other

It had plenty of oil in it as well 

All this oil is a concern as it is thru the air system and I probably should of changed the compressor a long time ago

So I guess I will slowly change valves and maxi chambers im the near future 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Rebuild those air cylinders while it's apart; especially the reverse cylinder which hangs up often as the sealing rings wear.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:10 AM, 85snowdog said:

Your truck looks good. I love the all season shop its in . I'm guessing if you want under a roof or in a shop its to avoid the sun .

Do you have a hard time finding brake parts for your truck ? I'm one of a few that still run spoke wheels.   But in my part of the world its getting difficult to get parts , and if you can find them they are VERY expensive. The steer axle is the worst. The drives are not as bad . 

Maybe you can import the parts from Australia cheaper!   😁

• Like 1

Well it turns out I missed my calling and I should of been a fortune teller

There was quite a bit of colourful language getting  the lid back on the box 

I fully disassembled the range change lid before putting it back on to 100% sure in my mind at least make sure that all is ok 

It is still no guarantee I'm even close but I believe it is all ok

As predicted it took a lot of trial and era to get the lid back on, I  have no idea how I did it on the side of the road all those years ago, I'm guessing my arms were younger and more flexible than they are today 

Anyway after trying for hours and hours it was time for a plan 'B' as plan 'A' was only gunna put me in the looney bin

So down the street and got some assistance in the form of a mirror on a stick and a thin L.E.D. pen light 

Using these with aid of some fencing wire and lots of different thicknesses of little wooden blocks I finally had what I believed was success 

To prove this I unbolted the tail shaft so I could check it was in fact going in and out of gear as it should 

Even that turned into a head ache, stripping sockets and the like 

20210219-152317.jpg

So next I thought I best fix a few air leaks that were there, some I had caused when getting the on and off so many times

Several hours later and wringing wet with sweat I had changed a few, maybe a dozen fittings and was happy enough that air was now been reasonably contained 

In the end I pulled everything off that was getting in my way lifting the lid on and off 

The bigger rubber air start hose was pulled out of the way with a ratchet strap

The main air line from the compressor was removed 

The hose it went to ratchet strapped out of the way 

And the list went on

It is still easier than dropping the box out on a conventional cabbed truck

All that stuff is now bolted back in

20210219-152355.jpg

So I'm heading in the right direction I feel, a few other things to do and floor and seats can go back in

Then one more relay valve to change and a complete service and a good wash and I'll call it done 

I try to keep the truck pretty clean underneath and on top 

Even new trucks seem to weep enough to stick dirt and look crappy 

I figure it may take a while to get it clean each time but if the transport department wheel me in I stand a lot better chance if it's at least clean and not wet as a shag 

Paul

• Like 2

Paul, I'd chuck a Milk Crate in as a seat & go for a drive around the yard before Putting the Floor & seats Back in..!!

Bit Like the Irishman wearing 2 Condoms.. To be sure to be Sure..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -