New here! B60T project

OK Skippy I have made a decision you need to hurry up and finish the truck and come over here and restore mine that way I can just fire up a cigar and drive it beautiful job on the dashboard I painted a 62 impala the same color back in 1973 keep up the good work... bob

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends!

If you celebrated Christmas last week, I hope you had a good one!  I took a few days off from the Mack project to enjoy some much needed downtime and the holiday.  It was a "Mack Christmas" as my husband and I agreed we'd only do things for each other that helped our truck projects move forward.  I got so many "treats" including all of the wiring, switches, and lights I need; a new muffler; vintage air and electric horns; and the last indicator lights I needed.  Tonight I pulled the air tanks, cleaned, prepped, and painted them; finished painting the rear end and rear frame; installed the freshly painted battery box; and painted the newly installed rear light panel.  Lots of progress being made this week!  Tomorrow night we'll install the new exhaust and may start on the interior floor.

Most recent pictures load first: https://sjcreativevt.pixieset.com/skippymack/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Merry Xmas Skippy (& Mr Skippy) What do you Plan on Towing with SkippyMack ?

[img]https://galleries.page.link/KkLjp[/img]

At one point she had a dump body.  We're building a custom bed for her.  No fifth wheel.  The plate on the back has some really gory welds that will be grounded down and repaired, as you can see it's not worthy of towing anything right now!  She'll get a receiver hitch when that area is repaired and reinforced.  I think I'll cap that back with diamond plate.  Stay tuned!

Edited by SkippyMack
  • Like 1

Wow truck parts for Christmas Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarite I got mostly candy and cookies but wife did buy be a brand new air compressor.... happy New Years to you and yours skippy  keep up the good work... and thanks for keeping us posted... bob

• Like 1

Truck really look like it coming together.It looks great,keep the pictures coming.Both you and your husband should be quite proud of all your hard work.It really show in the quality of the work.When I get back on my b87 I’m going to do the same as you are doing taking plenty of pictures and posting them here.

• Like 2

Yes, assembling the front of these trucks are a jigsaw puzzle of sorts.  The few times I have had mine apart, it took a bit to remember the sequence to get it back together.

From bad memory, I think the fender is the last piece on.  Inner headlight panels and inner fenders, then outer headlight panels, then fenders?  If you get it wrong, you won't be able to bolt things together because certain bolts will become hidden.

• Thanks 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone is doing well.  It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still making good progress!  The cab floor is the part of this project that my husband has been dreading.  If this was going to be a pristine, "back to showroom" restoration we would have started over - we agreed to a route that repaired the rotted areas around the doors, and reinforced the floor for stability and safe installation of the seats, etc... After several really annoying nights of cutting, grinding, fabricating, and welding, my "Frankenfloor" is done, strong, and functional.  I scuffed and painted it and the firewall this morning.  I'm pretty confident I can reuse the floor liners (one was like oil cloth and the other rubber) that were it when I bought it - and add some floor mats and be good to go!  Tomorrow I'll paint the rest of the cab interior.

I have also removed the cushions from the seat frames, cleaned up the frames and painted them.  Reupholstery looks like it's going to be a straight-forward project to complete by the end of the month.  Other little details like painting the shifting levers, and exhaust brackets is also done.  This old girl is going to start "turning a corner" really soon.

Cheers!

Most recent pictures load first: https://sjcreativevt.pixieset.com/skippymack/

• Like 2

We pulled the hub covers on the front wheels tonight.  There is an inner dust cover.  Wondering how to remove it.  Didn't seem to pull off or turn easily.  Didn't want to bang on it without knowing more about it's removal!  Thanks in advance for any insights.

Did a lot of interior detail work today, painting.  Tomorrow is a day off for me (MLK Jr. Day) so I plan to do lots more and will post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers!

Still have my question about removing the inner hub covers and am also wondering about door rubber seals.  I only have a couple of little sections still present, but it's so badly dried that I can't remove it without it crumbling.  Trying to determine if the universal "D" shape 3M stripping will work.  Also still pondering a creative headliner solution.  Now that the interior is painted I don't feel like it's so urgent, the flat black kind of makes the roof "disappear" for now. Any thoughts on any of these? 

Today? I donned my respirator and got the rest of the interior painted this morning.  Now tackling the door jambs with my retro hammered paint in small sections.  Shifting levers are detailed and ready to reinstall. Just ordered the last of the supplies I need to start upholstery.  My husband and I tackled two big dents in the cab (one across the back above the window and one above the driver's seat (under the horn mount). With a little patience they have been worked out. Sure am glad to have married a fabricator! 🤩

The work is getting visually gratifying and exciting!  Thanks for following along.

Cheers!

Most recent pictures (just a couple today) will load first: https://sjcreativevt.pixieset.com/skippymack/