New here! B60T project

It was 7 or 8 years ago and I didn't look for the interior green. Cook brothers phone number is 570-655-9152 I got some other colors that's when I was told that Kirker supplied paint to Mack. I think you could buy Kirker on line at one time I painted a dump box that long ago and the paint is still holding up I think it was about 60.00$ a gallon for black.

Try and contact ATCA member, Mack Man,  and Double Clutch author Dave Zsido who lives in Rutland VT (???) He is the expert on Vermont trucking companies. Call Andrea at the ATCA office in Boyertown PA 610-367-2567 and she should be able to give you his contact info.

• Like 1

Brocky

I heard back from the Brattleboro Historical Society and office of the town Assessor, both confirmed that GUILFORD PAPER CO, INC. was located in Brattleboro in the 1950's through the 1980's.  It appears they closed sometime after being charged with dumping waste into a setback that drained into the Connecticut River.  Mystery solved.

Also...cab is ready for primer!

• Like 1

That door picture is quite a find. I hope that guy does have a picture or two of that truck from when it was in service.  The repair on the bottom where the red putty is exposed would almost suggest that was done late '70s or early '80s (???)   probably lead based paint on the lettering. You could strip that door to bare metal and you'll still see that burned into it.  May want to have a good mask on when sanding 😷

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I was in the Navy with a guy whom worked there a short while and was let go in 1983. His father worked there also and if I remember correctly they were preparing to shut down in that timeframe.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 2/26/2021 at 4:47 PM, Mark T said:

That door picture is quite a find. I hope that guy does have a picture or two of that truck from when it was in service.  The repair on the bottom where the red putty is exposed would almost suggest that was done late '70s or early '80s (???)   probably lead based paint on the lettering. You could strip that door to bare metal and you'll still see that burned into it.  May want to have a good mask on when sanding 😷

The paint under and over the lettering definitely aged differently - really cracked.  I did get it all off!  Got both doors repaired (glass and Bondo) and did an initial rattle can primer this weekend.  I detailed the lingering scratches with Nitro-Stan and wet sanded with 320.  Doors are surprisingly silky smooth - far beyond my expectations!  Oh, yeah!!  Tomorrow we'll spray the high-build primer and I'll be back to wet sanding on Tuesday.  Wednesday we're spraying top coat.  Things are feeling pretty real!  

Today I also cut aluminum plates to cover the interior holes above the doors that housed the light fixtures (which were no good).  I was able to retrofit some LED license plate lights utilizing the original screw holes and they look pretty darn good.

Things are looking good for my mid-late April timeline.

Most recent pictures load first: https://sjcreativevt.pixieset.com/skippymack/

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 6:47 PM, Rob said:

I was in the Navy with a guy whom worked there a short while and was let go in 1983. His father worked there also and if I remember correctly they were preparing to shut down in that timeframe.

No kidding!  Thanks for the info.

8 minutes ago, SkippyMack said:

No kidding!  Thanks for the info.

Fasser was the last name of the parties. They lived right off of I-91 in the general area. Never was there myself but "Kurt" went home often. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

it is about the same for me. i did take the body shop back over for 6 months 5 years ago when Roger had open heart/dual aortic artery valve replacement surgery, but i only ran the place, not do any body work.  

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

18 hours ago, SkippyMack said:

The paint under and over the lettering definitely aged differently - really cracked.  I did get it all off!  Got both doors repaired (glass and Bondo) and did an initial rattle can primer this weekend.  I detailed the lingering scratches with Nitro-Stan and wet sanded with 320.  Doors are surprisingly silky smooth - far beyond my expectations!  Oh, yeah!!  Tomorrow we'll spray the high-build primer and I'll be back to wet sanding on Tuesday.  Wednesday we're spraying top coat.  Things are feeling pretty real!  

Today I also cut aluminum plates to cover the interior holes above the doors that housed the light fixtures (which were no good).  I was able to retrofit some LED license plate lights utilizing the original screw holes and they look pretty darn good.

Things are looking good for my mid-late April timeline.

Most recent pictures load first: https://sjcreativevt.pixieset.com/skippymack/

That lettering will come off and all, and feather in. If you stripped the doors to bare metal ???  certain angles you'd still see it right in the metal.  Most likely old lead based from that era. You won't see it after prepping it as you have.  I'm wondering how the progress on this truck allows time for so many pictures ?? Think I can speak for lots of us here.....keep'm coming 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark T said:

That lettering will come off and all, and feather in. If you stripped the doors to bare metal ???  certain angles you'd still see it right in the metal.  Most likely old lead based from that era. You won't see it after prepping it as you have.  I'm wondering how the progress on this truck allows time for so many pictures ?? Think I can speak for lots of us here.....keep'm coming 

We're spraying primer on the doors now!  I can't not document...drives my husband nuts, but then he's always grateful I have so many pictures of our projects coming to life!

• Like 2

Update from the Brattleboro Historical Society on the Guildford Paper Co., Inc.

This all makes me happy to give this truck a new lease on life surround with a bit more positive energy than in her former one!

Stay tuned for pictures of the doors with top coat tonight!  I CAN'T WAIT!!!

"Guilford Paper got sued in 1954 for using the same set of license plates on two different trucks.  It didn't pay off in the end as someone caught on to what they were doing, and the State of Vermont made them pay $151 for another set of plates.  Seems they were trying to cut corners.

The Guilford Paper Co was originally located in Guilford VT (a small town south of Brattleboro) during the late 1950's but relocated to Brattleboro in 1963.  They converted waste paper into toilet tissue.They seem to have been involved in multiple lawsuits, some submitted by them for non-delivery of goods, some against them for non-payment of bills.  They got in trouble with the State of Vermont for allowing waste water from their plant to pollute the Connecticut River, intentionally or non-intentionally, resulting in fines.  The last reported information I could find on them was dated 1969 when the plant was sold to another paper company."
  • Like 1