Old Mixers

autocardc

1 hour ago, storkmack said:

Experienced looking iron right there.    Love the old Material Service mixers, or as we say  around here Miserable Service.   

After they were bought a company here bought a bunch of their mixers, some were still on the road until a few years ago.

There's an application I have never seen a General used for.....a mixer truck. I've ran them as dump trucks. They were a good tough truck.

And of coarse, the good old Paystar 5000. Those and the Mack DM and DMM's were the kings of mixers for most of history.

• Like 1

There were a lot of General Mixers around the Chicagoland area.  Pretty sure all the big players had a few, but Material Service had the bulk of them.   In my ignorance, I thought Material Service was a Chicagoland company.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

There's an application I have never seen a General used for.....a mixer truck. I've ran them as dump trucks. They were a good tough truck.

And of coarse, the good old Paystar 5000. Those and the Mack DM and DMM's were the kings of mixers for most of history.

There were at least five companies running them here,  these were on the road until 2017.

l would agree with you, l thought that it might be a GMC.    .....Hippy

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

Wasn't there a post on here a little while back about identifying a mixer from a small picture ?   Think he could find his answer here .

4 hours ago, Mark T said:

Wasn't there a post on here a little while back about identifying a mixer from a small picture ?   Think he could find his answer here .

I posted that and then find these general mixers, funny how that works.

I remember a lot of 'Donald Duck' Transtar mixers back in the day.  Lots of Mack R's too, and some GMC J series and Stars.  In the 70's more Peterbilts, short hood Generals, Paystars, a few Brigadiers, a few Ford L's.      

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, storkmack said:

There were a lot of General Mixers around the Chicagoland area.  Pretty sure all the big players had a few, but Material Service had the bulk of them.   In my ignorance, I thought Material Service was a Chicagoland company.  

Material Service Corp. was a Chicago company started by Henry Crown he sold to General Dynamics but had held a majority interest in General Dynamics

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Noticed quite of few the Fords pictured were 8000's and had the badge under the "8000" that indicated "Ford diesel".  I'm assuming that would have been the biggest Ford ag engine, the 7.8 at 240 HP.  Can't imagine what they were like when it came to a significant grade😎

We have one in a mixer.  It’s a spare now and any grade knocks it on it’s ass.   

On 5/19/2020 at 12:34 PM, RoadwayR said:

I remember a lot of 'Donald Duck' Transtar mixers back in the day.  Lots of Mack R's too, and some GMC J series and Stars.  In the 70's more Peterbilts, short hood Generals, Paystars, a few Brigadiers, a few Ford L's.      

I will lay down a challenge here and ask for someone to post a Donald Duck mixer truck.  

8 minutes ago, storkmack said:

We have one in a mixer.  It’s a spare now and any grade knocks it on it’s ass.   

Hah!- well given its age I hope it goes out with a 2 yard order 😎 I think the 7.8 Ford was replaced in like 94?? so you folks are running one that is probably at least 26 years old!  If nothing else says you must have a pretty good PM program.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Terry T said:

This would have been about  67-69. I was born in 1965 and this was when we were putting a concrete driveway in at our home. I was old enough to remember my dad operating the old Ford tractor so I'd say it was more likely 68 or 69.

3-7-2010 5;34;33 PM.jpg

the pictured truck most likely had a 534 gas engine and a5x4 trans.` could have been an 1160 cat

• Like 2