Salt Lake City W-71

1 hour ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Excellent lowboy tractor

It really would be, too bad I can count on my fingers (and maybe toes) the number of these that are still known to exist. Only 215 were ever built, and seeing as it’s a cabover, you can imagine how many actually made it. Only 2 guys on here own one, and when one of them, Superdog, put his up for sale he was asking $40,000 for it, and it’s not in the best shape...

But hey, Dr. Bill found his in a gravel pit on a road trip... maybe there’s one sitting in a shed somewhere or hidden in the woods, and someone will get a really awesome and rare project...

• Like 2

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

On the topic, this just triggered my memory. I remember a little while back on my travels, a bit of time before I got on the forum, a guy I met on my travels told me of a rumored W Mack. At the time I thought he was talking about some Superliner because a W Mack search on google turned up a lot of people but no trucks.
Anyways he told me somewhere around Michigan (I believe) there’s a W locked away in an old building at some old heavy machine works because the company found out the value of the truck before they sold it, so they locked it away with the intentions of restoring it to use as a sort of company mascot, only for nothing to be done with it. If that story was true it’s probably still there for someone to find. Figured I’d mention it while it’s on my mind, I’d hate for it to be forgotten about if there’s any merit to the story, and I don’t exactly intend on going all the way out to Michigan looking for a truck that may or may not exist, but maybe one of y’all can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

W at Reno.jpg

w modelin reno.JPG

If your goal was to make me jealous, mission accomplished... just the thought of that being the truck I want to haul my firetrucks with and knowing that I’ll never be able to realistically dream of owning one... looks especially nice hauling that big chrome box though!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eddeere said:

I really like the Lang Company W 71. Wish I had one. I looked for a H 63 over a year but never found what I wanted. Finally bought an F model. Is there KW or Pete that looks similar to the W 71 ?

I think the bullnose Kenworth look like the W71's.    terry:MackLogo:

15 minutes ago, terry said:

I think the bullnose Kenworth look like the W71's.    terry:MackLogo:

Yet somehow the Mack looks so much better...

F1907F09-8C03-4DFD-AF23-B4E9B79451C6.jpeg

3DB889CC-B573-4A13-8D47-B37DB393A26D.jpeg
Peterbuilt also had a similar model but once again Mack seems better all around...

70270625-D015-4D2A-9956-4CEF0C01CEB5.jpeg

To be fair though... the first of these trucks was the Kenworth...

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

And they made a ton more of them than the w-71

Unfortunately... I didn’t think the W-71 was exactly unpopular, does anyone know why they stopped making it so soon? I have a hunch it’s because it was just a cabover version of the LT so they wanted to retire the two together despite such the limited run of the Ws...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

12 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Unfortunately... I didn’t think the W-71 was exactly unpopular, does anyone know why they stopped making it so soon? I have a hunch it’s because it was just a cabover version of the LT so they wanted to retire the two together despite such the limited run of the Ws...

The G model was much more advanced for the times and was the Western Mack replacement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Think this is an older photo. Keystone has Dr. Bill's W-71 now.

3DB889CC-B573-4A13-8D47-B37DB393A26D.jpeg

Dan, would that happen to be your W-71 on Dr. Bill's trailer before you got it and did the Outstanding restoration back around 1998?

On 2/15/2020 at 10:35 AM, CaptainCrutch said:

Actually the H was the cabover version of the LT.

9 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

According to Mack: “215 Mack W71 cabover models were built from 1953-58 as a lighter companion to the conventional LT model.”

If you look at the cabs, the W71 has a very different cab than the LT. The H is basically the same cab but with a taller windshield.

10 minutes ago, h67st said:

If you look at the cabs, the W71 has a very different cab than the LT. The H is basically the same cab but with a taller windshield.

The W actually used the same frame rails as the LT, with a dip at the front so the engines would sit lower... other than that I’m just repeating what Mack themselves have said...

The H is the cabover L but the W is specifically the cabover LT...