ROAD CHOICE!

fjh

I'm not sure how many of you here  are still with a dealer how ever ! I have a question for those who are!

Are you guys having this road choice line of parts jammed down your throats ? And are you having any luck with it?

So far we have been selling these  starters and have a fairly high failure rate 50/50.  Brake chambers have been good How ever the electrical stuff  I'm just  Not sold on it!

We have starters piling up by the scrap bin No core on these ( VERY  WASTEFULL) Definatley creating work  for our selves selling this stuff ! Not so much for happy customers thou! 😡

Edited by fjh

yep we were talked into a road turd clutch, it failed, still had to prove it was clutch, not truck, it was and put a real one in, don't know why these dealers insist on shoving crap out the door, but when you have drivers more interested in chrome shit on there truck and not good parts I guess it will continue.  

30 minutes ago, david wild said:

yep we were talked into a road turd clutch, it failed, still had to prove it was clutch, not truck, it was and put a real one in, don't know why these dealers insist on shoving crap out the door, but when you have drivers more interested in chrome shit on there truck and not good parts I guess it will continue.  

Yup more Dollerstore issue parts by the Volvo corp! Good to know!  Thanks!  I was looking At the their offerings for clutches and wondered!  you answered  little My inner voice question ! We  hopefully will stick with the tried and true Eaton stuff In that regard ! I have no control as to what I am handed to install unfortunately! We have asked several times to go back to the delco  reman stuff At least you only do them once! Falls on Def ears!

• Like 1

I’m finding not just Volvo doing it, we’re having the same junk pushed by our other vendors too. The good alternators have gold brass commutators and Bosch brush sets......the El’Cheapo’s have a weird red-ish bronze commentator with Chinese Transpo brand brushes that dissolve on contact. One alternator lasted 9 months. 

Best bet for us has been finding a rebuilder in Wausau and having a long conversation about what we expect. Now you have a face and business to attach the rebuild to. Liability is everything. I sucked up one core loss of an OEM (OEM only!) casing and have his rebuilt product on my shelf. Even the cases are junk on the cheapos, hence no cores because they are a “one and done” throw away.   

Had one cheapo brand starter go nuclear and lit our $740,000 Liehberr LH60 on fire. Starter self-engaged and exploded. Poured melted brass and solder into the compartment basement and ignited the oil soaked acoustic padding. 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I’m finding not just Volvo doing it, we’re having the same junk pushed by our other vendors too. The good alternators have gold brass commutators and Bosch brush sets......the El’Cheapo’s have a weird red-ish bronze commentator with Chinese Transpo brand brushes that dissolve on contact. One alternator lasted 9 months. 

Best bet for us has been finding a rebuilder in Wausau and having a long conversation about what we expect. Now you have a face and business to attach the rebuild to. Liability is everything. I sucked up one core loss of an OEM (OEM only!) casing and have his rebuilt product on my shelf. Even the cases are junk on the cheapos, hence no cores because they are a “one and done” throw away.   

Had one cheapo brand starter go nuclear and lit our $740,000 Liehberr LH60 on fire. Starter self-engaged and exploded. Poured melted brass and solder into the compartment basement and ignited the oil soaked acoustic padding. 

Wow. 

Liehberr LH60 on fire. Starter self-engaged and exploded. Poured melted brass and solder into the compartment basement and ignited the oil soaked acoustic padding. Well it sounds like you put the fire out ? To bad ! You had a perfect opportunity to switch machine brands! 😁 one step above or below  the Volvo brand junk which ever way you care to look at it! Either way this B/S is going on thru out the industry Quality is less and less rather than charging a bit  more for a unit they cheapen it with dollar store parts hydraulic Rams used to be chromed  now the rods come in just  black metal ! Our KW dealers here Are CASE equipment as well  and  Even the dealers have to put little bags on the rods  so they don't rust  to display them on the lots real sad! Cheap shit! Pay more for less!

I'm a retiree from the federal civil service.

I understand it very well, (unfortunately) and over the duration of my employment, garnered over $10K in cash awards for rooting it out.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:07 AM, fjh said:

Liehberr LH60 on fire. Starter self-engaged and exploded. Poured melted brass and solder into the compartment basement and ignited the oil soaked acoustic padding. Well it sounds like you put the fire out ? To bad ! You had a perfect opportunity to switch machine brands! 😁 one step above or below  the Volvo brand junk which ever way you care to look at it! Either way this B/S is going on thru out the industry Quality is less and less rather than charging a bit  more for a unit they cheapen it with dollar store parts hydraulic Rams used to be chromed  now the rods come in just  black metal ! Our KW dealers here Are CASE equipment as well  and  Even the dealers have to put little bags on the rods  so they don't rust  to display them on the lots real sad! Cheap shit! Pay more for less!

Actually, guy (smart operator) left the hood closed and cooling fan blew the fire vertical down out oil change chute. He sneaked in with a stinger and pulled the trigger. Then opened top and let’er have. Saved us the $2000 fire system recharge bill. 

This is all I stock and they have been good so far.....keep it simple, right? Can’t screw up a firestick antenna, hopefully.

Edited by Mack Technician

Sounds like the same problem NAPA had with their electrical parts about 8 years ago. I know more than business owner who quit buying from them because their electrical stuff was absolute junk. I quit buying from them for that reason as well. I put 6 Napa Gold lifetime warranty starters in one pickup in 7 months. One of them wouldn’t even work right out of the box when it was installed. Napa store told me they were not going to honor the lifetime warranty any longer. I made some calls and they changed their minds on not honoring the warranty. Did I mention during all of this they blamed the pickup? I took it to a mechanic and spent $200 for him tell me nothing is wrong with the pickup. Never been back to NAPA after that fiasco. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

In my mind if I was a dealer and wasn't dictated to by the Mother ship! I would stock both dollar store and OEM or real brand parts How ever when you have to watch your pennys you do what  you have to do! Let the customer choose give him the option!

BUT as expressed above some people can't look passed the chrome and glitter to see what is really earning there living for them!  

• Like 1

We have also had good luck with the accordion pipes that are installed after the defuser and turbo   these stand up OK,  so spring brakes and this pipe are two things so far that I have (Some) faith in! no worse and MAYBE better than OEM! 

Had our first return of an alternator yesterday Lasted A month ! Put it next to the big pile of starters in the warranty  Bin! Makes us look like fools in my mind,  for not offering branded stuff as well! I believe if offered the choice the customer would pick longevity over price! Dollarstore shit!

Edited by fjh

Had the same problem with Autozone electric components not lasting and the installer is the one whom bears the brunt of the customer's anger.

How is Road Choice when it comes to warranty labor replacement? Autozone wanted to pay less than 1/2 of retail so I mandated not to use them as a vendor. Went almost exclusively to Carquest at that time.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 12/22/2019 at 7:06 AM, Rob said:

Had the same problem with Autozone electric components not lasting and the installer is the one whom bears the brunt of the customer's anger.

How is Road Choice when it comes to warranty labor replacement? Autozone wanted to pay less than 1/2 of retail so I mandated not to use them as a vendor. Went almost exclusively to Carquest at that time.

They are glad to replace them How ever as per usual like any warranty,  that don't pay for the customers down time or inconvenience  Nor does it help as you stated!  It becomes a me problem as, I have to listen to the whining ! So Why Bother ? to answer Jims question in the case of starters and alternators ! Delco  reman or new! OR have your own parts redone at a reputable starter  / alt rebuilder !The hard parts so far with the exception of the clutches as was noted earlier . have been OK ! Electrical  stuff not so much!

Same as I do Fred. Anytime I have a good electrical core it goes over to a rebuilder whom's been in business for almost 100 years.