CB Disgust

1958 F.W.D.

So I found an old CB I ran years ago in my pickup truck with it's magnetic aerial. Way back when I rigged it with a cigarette lighter plug. So I figured "What the heck? lemme see if it still works?" I put it in and put the aerial on the roof, and gave a yell on Channel 19 for a radio check and immediately got a "My radio works fine." 

Last night I had to run to Lowes to get a doorknob and got on I-78. A driver merged into the left lane as I was coming up the onramp. I merged into the slow lane as he passed me in the left lane. I got on the radio and said "Hey thank you driver and you missed me." He came back and said "Yeah I see you I'm not blind, dummy." 

Got home and ripped it out and tossed it into the trash can. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

All I can think of is this little clip from Blazing Saddles.  Pretty much sums up CB's today.    No matter how nice you think you are,........

I still run CB's in my pickup and Mack.  Granted, usually a waste of time, but when traveling they come in handy for information and highway problems.  Well, usually.  then again.............."UP YOURS!!!"

In the late 70's, hanging with my buddy in the neighborhood we'd spend all night yak'n on his big base station, 850 watt linear and Moonraker 4 beams.  We talked all across the world.  Fun times.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Only reason I still have a cb in my dump truck is because all the asphalt plants around here use them to load you other wise it would be a waste,99 percent nobody will even answer me when asking about DOT or traffic conditions and almost every truck has an antenna on it..lol

I'll have to see if any I have still work. Haven't been turned on since 2005 when exiting the hauling market.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, MACKS said:

Only reason I still have a cb in my dump truck is because all the asphalt plants around here use them to load you other wise it would be a waste,99 percent nobody will even answer me when asking about DOT or traffic conditions and almost every truck has an antenna on it..lol

The two main pits here you need a CB to let the operator and scale house know what you need.

Most just have the antennae for the "cool" factor

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Yep, sad but true Randy. Nowadays the joke is "backup radio", because the only time they turn them on is when there's a backup- "hey, what's going on?..why are we stopping?". Mine is on from the time I start the truck, but I can understand "backup" radios because of all the B.S. and nonsense going on in the mean time, mostly from local base station a-holes that seem to just want to aggravate truck drivers.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

7 minutes ago, other dog said:

Yep, sad but true Randy. Nowadays the joke is "backup radio", because the only time they turn them on is when there's a backup- "hey, what's going on?..why are we stopping?". Mine is on from the time I start the truck, but I can understand "backup" radios because of all the B.S. and nonsense going on in the mean time, mostly from local base station a-holes that seem to just want to aggravate truck drivers.

Don't even use it near the Va coast or in N.Y. but in Maine it's a god send to have a CB

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here in Illinois 75 percent of the drivers don't speak or understand English and either the hearts don't work or they don't know how to turn them on thete bundled up like it's 20 below in the cab.was on 80 eastbound and could  smell rubber  and thought it was me.it was the container in front om me left front outside chassis  was smoking started to catch fire tried on the radio no luck got along side him and pointed back at the tire and just ed shrugged his shoulders .

I’m lucky to run a lane where most of us run radios and all know each other....but yes they are outdated by cellphones and XM for the most part

and definitely big ten four on the backup checks......bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk