Smith’s Transfer U model Macks

Hello all.

My name is Wayne Clagg and I’m looking for some info on the fleet of U model Mack’s that Smith’s Transfer bought back in the 70’s. My late father drove for Smith’s for 23 years before they folded up in 1988. Recently my family and I were talking and we realized that we didn’t really have much to memorialize his life, he went to work and did his job then come home, there are no pictures, only a few pieces of memorabilia, a jacket and that’s about it. I decided I would like to build a 1/25 scale model of the tractor that was assigned to him, 4292, but I have no pictures or info to go by. There were many many combinations of exhaust pipes, air cleaners, bumpers wheels and so forth and need to know what combination Smiths purchased. I want the model to as representative of the real deal as possible. I’ve sent Mack Museum emails, posted questions on other forums, looked online extensively, bought the only book about Smith’s I could find and have not found one picture or detail on the single axle city tractors they purchased so many of. 

Is there anyone on here that knows anything about this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne Clagg

• Like 1

Welcome to BMT!  l can not help you with info on Snuffy Smith U models. But l'm sure there will be someone who can. The '70 MB l have now is the second one l've owned. The first one was a '74 Smith Transfer tractor back around '89-'90 with the same specs as this OVNT tractor. Good luck with your search.   .....Hippy    

• Like 1

My father was a friend of Jake Smith's, and after Dad closed up his truck company in 1977, he leased the terminal to Smiths Transfer and Roadway Express. I remember those U models very well, as Dad had quite a few of them, and I drove them when I could.  I probably have some pictures of them, or at least the U model tractors they had at the Fredericksburg, Va.  yard.  If I can find them, I will post them.  I made a model of a twin screw U685 with a Fruehauf van like my Dad used and gave it to him around 1973 for a Birthday present.I have it now (he passed away 7 years ago at age 93).  I used a model kit of a DM model and modified it, painting it the same forest green Dad and Smith's used.  Carey Leitch

• Like 1

I can't help you with your search; I hope you find some info. I have an H model that was purchased new by Smith's (I doubt it's the one in this photo, but you never know!). I know exactly what you mean about photos, I wish I had photos of some of the things that my dad was involved in with his trucks. I do have a few but I have memories of lots of stuff that would be nice to see again.

Smith H model.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Welcome to bmt........I’m retired from Overnite transportation and I remember those u models well....Overnite bought a lot of Smith and American stock after they went out......the smith jifflox r models were rebranded for road use and the smith u models were rebranded for city use......made dang good city tractors.....if you look up Dennis mccurry on Facebook he was vp of maintenance when these were purchased and he found one in nc that he is restoring......also there is a Facebook page Overnite transportation memories that he is the administrator of maybe he can help you with pictures and specs........good luck....Bobby j.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, j hancock said:

Interesting tank and step configuration on the tandem units.

Looks like #3720 is an air tank over the spare and #3322 is a fuel tank. Both must have been a bitch to get in and out of.   .....Hippy                                                 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

A lot of their unit had a dolly insert to make it a tamden  tractor with two 5th wheels on the back look funny .

Hey you know not everyone carried a spare 5th wheel other than RDWY, Smith and OVNT and who else?!   ..... Hippy

Edited by 70mackMB
Misspelled word

Unit #3322 left fender has a large red sticker on it. Is that a liquor permit from Penn's PLCB? l had 4" high letters on my R model  PLCB xxxxx just don't remember the sticker. We loaded out of Schmidt's in downtown Philly, l don't remember the house carrier but they sure bailed my ass out one Friday afternoon when l broke down near the Federal bank.  .....Hippy

The 5th wheel on the tractor was moved forward to almost the cab. The dolly was slide into the frame to the pintle hook. Then the dolly's 5th wheel was slid forward and centered over the joint of the two sliders. It looks like the 5th wheel in the picture is not the correct one.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWevOT6XSc   .....Hippy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Holy cow guys! Yes! This is great. Exactly what I was looking for, especially the single axle tractors. I have been waiting for a notification that someone had answered my question here, wasn’t aware I needed to log in to see if someone had answered. I think with what I have here I can make a decent representation of Dad’s tractor. 

I had forgotten about the “jiflock” tractors, I remember him “talking” about breaking the tractor apart and putting it back together. For years he was a city driver running the east end of Huntington Wv then he bid on running the East side of Kentucky, better described as a regional route, and did that for several years. I’m thinking he was assigned a jiflock when he took that route as he would pull doubles down into the Paintsville, Prestonsburg area, break them apart and peddle off those trailers or drop them off at a destination. He would then run around all over the east end of Kentucky making pickups, hook it all back up and drive back to the Huntington Wv terminal and go home. He really enjoyed this route as he had road driver rights, was on his own all day not outside the city driving around in some of the most beautiful country in the states. 

This project is bringing back a LOT of memories! 

Many many thanks to everyone. If anymore photos or info turn up I would be so grateful for them.

On 11/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, steelman said:

My father was a friend of Jake Smith's, and after Dad closed up his truck company in 1977, he leased the terminal to Smiths Transfer and Roadway Express. I remember those U models very well, as Dad had quite a few of them, and I drove them when I could.  I probably have some pictures of them, or at least the U model tractors they had at the Fredericksburg, Va.  yard.  If I can find them, I will post them.  I made a model of a twin screw U685 with a Fruehauf van like my Dad used and gave it to him around 1973 for a Birthday present.I have it now (he passed away 7 years ago at age 93).  I used a model kit of a DM model and modified it, painting it the same forest green Dad and Smith's used.  Carey Leitch

Interesting story! I did some hard digging and was able to find a book titled “50 years down the road” The History fo Smith’s Transfer. Excellent reading. Inside the book was a business card with a personal note from the President of Smith’s (Jake had moved on to the Board of directors) to an employee name Mae which I felt was neat. In the book they talked quite a bit about the take over of Bell Lines, where dad worked, and that’s how he wound up at Smith’s. Unfortunately the only picture of a U model in the book is one of the early road tractors as the book was published in 1980, just before deregulation. 

I’m doing the same thing you did, using a DM model kit to try and recreate the U model he drove.

many many thanks to everyone.

Wayne

On 11/16/2018 at 12:00 AM, 41chevy said:

file0053.jpg.1a93720f89cd4984ef56ed5d1cc9b792.jpg

Please take note of this U-model's unusual options. They weren't in the order book.

The battery box mounting and related steps, spare tire carrier, air reservoir mounting, fuel tank mounting and bumper mounting were all purpose-designed for and at the request of Smiths. This era was the peak of the former Mack Trucks. Optimized for efficiency, maximum performance at the least possible operating costs....for Smiths. This truck was a "money-maker".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rclaggf4u said:

I’m doing the same thing you did, using a DM model kit to try and recreate the U model he drove.

Wayne

Also most were "weed burner" under chassis exhaust. To quote a line about their Macks was    "A big window no stack  Mack"     Paul

• Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

12 hours ago, rclaggf4u said:

Wayne

The AMT R685 will give you the weed burner exhaust, the air start tank, the lighter suspension, the R style front bumper, later dash and a roof air  deflector for the U model. 

These are the decals you need. from Jerry at  the link below. Be sure to tell him Paul (41chevy) from Gold Coast Hobby and the CTEMC sent you.

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_142&products_id=474  

You can PM me and I'll give you my Phone number if you need more info.

947923608_SmithsTransfer.JPG.6e8e03b0bba578f2a2f742b9304c4321.JPG

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 11/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, 41chevy said:

The AMT R685 will give you the weed burner exhaust, the air start tank, the lighter suspension, the R style front bumper, later dash and a roof air  deflector for the U model. 

These are the decals you need. from Jerry at  the link below. Be sure to tell him Paul (41chevy) from Gold Coast Hobby and the CTEMC sent you.

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_142&products_id=474  

You can PM me and I'll give you my Phone number if you need more info.

947923608_SmithsTransfer.JPG.6e8e03b0bba578f2a2f742b9304c4321.JPG

Thanks for the link, I stumbled onto it sometime ago and have the decals. The AMT kit came in the mail today so I’ve started taking the two to make one. I finished the trailer last weekend. So many thanks to everyone!!! If anymore pictures turn up I’d really appreciate seeing them. 

• Like 1