I looked at an RW2 the other day with an E6-350 engine and a Maxitorque 9 speed.  This was a supposedly-unmolested, original 300k mile truck.  On the drivers side of the hood it had a Maxidyne emblem.  The passenger side was not drilled for an additional emblem.  I didn't think Mack put 9 speeds behind Maxidyne engines.  True?  See engine tag photo.  Something didn't seem quite right to me.  Perhaps the hood has been changed?

By the way, did they put the Maxidyne and Econodyne emblems on both sides of the RW2 hood.... or only the drivers side?  Thanks!

IMG_6935.thumb.JPG.48e8c157d9c037e59d29f8fda037234c.JPG

I've never seen emblems on the side of an RW hood originally except "Mack", V8, and the emblems calling out the E9-500. Never have seen "Econodyne", nor "Maxidyne" on the hoods of the RW series. I'm only speaking for myself. The E6-350 is not a "Maxidyne" series engine however.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

7 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

my 89 RW has the econodine badge on the drivers side as well but not on the passenger side, its a factory v8.....for what ever that is worth 

Would you mind verifying the Econodyne badge on your hood is "stud mounted" rather than adhesive mounted? Easy to do by flipping the hood open and seeing if there are speed nuts gripping the mounting studs through the hood. If there are no studs protruding through the hood, it is adhesive mount and those emblems are known to fall over through heat/age/exposure. Of course stud mount emblems fall off also but they leave holes in the hood.....

I/we have repaired, rebuilt, replaced many "RW" series hoods through the years and I've never seen emblems applied to only one side of the hood and again speaking for myself only.

Appreciate your help.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Guess it depended upon union relations, whom was at work, whom was home sick, available stock on any day the truck was built then. Seems like a strange way to do it but Chrysler only placed their Pentastar emblems on the lower right front fender of their vehicles for many years too.

34 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

E6-350 gathered with 9 speed Maxitorque T2090 is a quite common combo.

It worked very well together too. Didn't matter on, or off road, the gearing in the rears put that engine/trans combo right where everything needed to be. Good low, and good high ranges for most any task.

Mack however, charged entirely too much for parts to keep them operational and there were many updates to that transmission with each improving on the base unit. I don't think it should have been done that way but there were many out there so whom am I to complain.....

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, sodly said:

I looked at an RW2 the other day with an E6-350 engine and a Maxitorque 9 speed.  This was a supposedly-unmolested, original 300k mile truck.  On the drivers side of the hood it had a Maxidyne emblem.  The passenger side was not drilled for an additional emblem.  I didn't think Mack put 9 speeds behind Maxidyne engines.  True?  See engine tag photo.  Something didn't seem quite right to me.  Perhaps the hood has been changed?

By the way, did they put the Maxidyne and Econodyne emblems on both sides of the RW2 hood.... or only the drivers side?  Thanks!

IMG_6935.thumb.JPG.48e8c157d9c037e59d29f8fda037234c.JPG

That engine is an Econodyne E6350 if it's a 4valve head. For it to be a Maxidyne it would read EM6.... I believe the 4 valve 350 was not available in Maxidyne config. Lower the 350hp ratings such as 300 were available as Maxidyne in E64V ratings.

My 1988 has a factory installed Econodyne label with studs under the Mack script on the driver side only which was common for RWs.  Same for Maxidyne if your truck was powered as such. 

Edited by bbigrig

Interesting.  I was thinking the E6-350 didn't come in Maxidyne flavor but wasn't sure.  Yes, this emblem had studs through the hood.  Wonder if someone just changed out the Econodyne emblem for a Maxidyne one.  The whole thing just didn't seem right to me for some reason.  

So can anyone tell if this engine is an Econodyne version or not?  Refresh my memory.... Econodyne had a lower RPM range than the standard engines?  

2 hours ago, sodly said:

Interesting.  I was thinking the E6-350 didn't come in Maxidyne flavor but wasn't sure.  Yes, this emblem had studs through the hood.  Wonder if someone just changed out the Econodyne emblem for a Maxidyne one.  The whole thing just didn't seem right to me for some reason.  

So can anyone tell if this engine is an Econodyne version or not?  Refresh my memory.... Econodyne had a lower RPM range than the standard engines?  

The engine in the picture is an Econodyne not a Maxidyne. You could order an RW with a Maxidyne engine which I have seen before. It could go either way, engine hood name swapped or powertrain in truck. Best to get the VIN number and look up the spec at the dealer.  The Econodyne had a lower torque rise percentage for on highway useage. The Maxidyne had a high torque rise percentage and was more suited for vocational off road use.  Maxidyne were usually speced with 5, 6 or 7vspeed transmissions while Econodyne engines normally had multi speed transmissions of 9 gears and up. 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:10 PM, bbigrig said:

Lower the 350hp ratings such as 300 were available as Maxidyne in E64V ratings.

I do think there were no E6 4V Maxidines but EM6 2V

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

My '90 RD690S had an EM6-300L  in it and driver's  side only "Maxidyne" emblem  on it. My '88  RR690ST has  the same  powertrain in it, but has the "Econodyne" emblem  on it. I know of  one Super-Liner  built around  the time of  my '90,that had a "Maxidyne" emblem  also. Don't  ask me why,had dual stacks and  quite sure it didn't  he EM6-300L like my truck did.Was always  a mystery  to me too! Maybe kscarbel  can shed some light? 

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

On 5/4/2018 at 2:28 AM, Yoos Brothers Construction said:

Mack made a lot of E6 4 valve engines. They are quite common.

But they all were Econodines not Maxidynes. I'm not 100% sure though there were 4V EM9 Maxidynes for example.

4 hours ago, Vladislav said:

But they all were Econodines not Maxidynes. I'm not 100% sure though there were 4V EM9 Maxidynes for example.

E6 4V variations below. 

In 1988 they switched from offering 2V engines for Maxidyne engines to 4V engines. In Mack Sales literature it was rebadged as "Maxidyne Plus"

The only one that kept 2V Maxidynes were DMMs because until 1992 they were built without chassis mounted charge air coolers. In 1992 they switched to EM7 engines with the new DMM hood design.

20180505_175715.jpg

Edited by bbigrig

37 minutes ago, bbigrig said:

20180505_175715.jpg

Wow! Thank you for the lesson. The thing that messed me up was I thought 250, 275 and 300hp versions were only 2 valvers.

53 minutes ago, bbigrig said:

E6 4V variations below. 

In 1988 they switched from offering 2V engines for Maxidyne engines to 4V engines. In Mack Sales literature it was rebadged as "Super Maxidynes"

The only one that kept 2V Maxidynes were DMMs because until 1992 they were built without chassis mounted charge air coolers. In 1992 they switched to EM7 engines with the new DMM hood design.

Quite interesting.

Indeed there were EM7s so EM6-4V should be as the predecessors too.

On a side note were any DMM's assembled at Oakwille?

42 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Quite interesting.

Indeed there were EM7s so EM6-4V should be as the predecessors too.

On a side note were any DMM's assembled at Oakwille?

DMMEX was actually engineered by Mack Canada Oakville and i would guess over 90% DMMEX units were built in Oakville Assembly. I remember standing in between the steer tires as a kid at the plant in awe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:19 AM, Rob said:

Would you mind verifying the Econodyne badge on your hood is "stud mounted" rather than adhesive mounted? Easy to do by flipping the hood open and seeing if there are speed nuts gripping the mounting studs through the hood. If there are no studs protruding through the hood, it is adhesive mount and those emblems are known to fall over through heat/age/exposure. Of course stud mount emblems fall off also but they leave holes in the hood.....

I/we have repaired, rebuilt, replaced many "RW" series hoods through the years and I've never seen emblems applied to only one side of the hood and again speaking for myself only.

Appreciate your help.

yep stud mounted, I had to remove it when I repainted the o'le girl 

Yes the engine emblem is only on the drivers side on any RW that I have seen including mine. The Mack script and Superliner emblems are on both sides. The RW hood is drilled and counter bored through the secondary fiberglass support on the inside of the hood but only on the drivers side. I got 2 new Econodyne, as an E9-500 is an Econodyne engine, emblems to put one on each side when repainted but will only use one as I suppose Mack always intended. The hard to find NOS V8 emblem, in chrome, will however be on both sides but were not original to a 1988 RW.  Might have been a sin but I had 2 NOS Gold V8 emblems show chromed for the RW. If I remember right the Gold V8 and Dog emblems were for Maxidyne engines originally. Later for the Elite package. Also remember when those V8 emblems were $65 for chrome and $95 for Gold from Mack back around 1995 and I thought that was crazy.