Just got this Mack

Must be one nice looking F with a non-sleeper cab and that short wheelbase tandem. Wouldn't put supposes of the same attitude about its ride smoothness though. Congrats on the purchase!  Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

the mack is a non syncronized trans, so you have to match engine rpm's to gear rpm's. 

some people double clutch. that is where you step on the clutch,take it out of gear,  let the clutch out, step on it again, then put it in gear. 

to down shift, step on clutch, take out of gear, let off clutch and rev engine, step on clutch and put it in lower gear. 

most of us that have been driving forever do not use the clutch except for taking off. we just match rpm's by ear and slip it into gear. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Ya, you will really have a tough time slowing your shifting down to match that 5spd compared to any regular synchro'd transmission.   Remember you have to be going FAST enough to get it to drop into the next gear.  You can't just shift up through the gears idling along.  Run'r up to 2100,  let it drop down to 1200 or so and then just lightly pull/push it into the next gear.  It will fall in without a lick if you do it right.  You can't rush it.  Once you find the rhythm it will become second nature.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My dad said you could open a thermos and pour a cup of coffee during the first shift then drink it during the second shift.   He ran a U model and hauled bread for a couple month.  He started out in 3rd  so he only had to shift twice.  

2 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

My dad said you could open a thermos and pour a cup of coffee during the first shift then drink it during the second shift.   He ran a U model and hauled bread for a couple month.  He started out in 3rd  so he only had to shift twice.  

If you start out in 3rd. gear in a 5spd. clutches are going to be short lived!     terry:D

Don't know.  It was a single axle with a 40' van trl.  The run he had only went out with 1/4 of a load so a couple thousand pounds at the most.  I rember him saying it only ran 57mph wound out.   I was prob in 5th grade at the time.  The closest thing I ever drove to a 5spd is my B, and I know it's slow shifting compared to the 9 & 10 speeds at work. 

Edited by Hobert62

The Postal Service ran Mack tractors with the Maxidyne engines and 5 speed Maxitorques for years in urban applications, with an average load of around 20,000 pounds but sometimes loaded to the legal limit. Starting in 2nd gear was SOP for the drivers unless they were starting on a hill or with full loads, and after a decade's use many of these trucks still had their original clutches. The Maxidyne engine has so much torque that 2nd gear starting under moderate loads is no problem.

The reason for the slow shift is because of big rpm gap between gears, and of course the heavy flywheel effect with a Maxidyne.  I recall trying to teach guys who'd used a roadranger how to shift a Maxidyne--it was an entirely different animal.  Still is, for that matter.  As Freightrain said, run it to the full 2100 rpm before trying to catch the next gear, go to neutral, and then let it drop to 1100 rpm before upshifting.  Takes practice, but pretty soon it'll be second nature.  

3 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

The Postal Service ran Mack tractors with the Maxidyne engines and 5 speed Maxitorques for years in urban applications, with an average load of around 20,000 pounds but sometimes loaded to the legal limit. Starting in 2nd gear was SOP for the drivers unless they were starting on a hill or with full loads, and after a decade's use many of these trucks still had their original clutches. The Maxidyne engine has so much torque that 2nd gear starting under moderate loads is no problem.

Probably weren't geared very fast.