bull dog bit back.

Ezrider

42 minutes ago, Ezrider said:

anyone that could hit that hard i wouldn't be screwing with.....lol it would take a mountain of a man to throw a punch like that. i think its probably going to look worse before it starts looking better. 

Eh my wife's done worse to me... Lucky you missed the eyes!  Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, Ezrider said:

the wedge bolts? yes well aware of them, and yes they were removed. the kingpins are out now they were just very tightly seized in the axle eye. 

I brought that up because I tackled one once that had both ends broken off . thought it was just missing but there was about 11/4 in.of a pin  still in the hole almost got to the same point you did

Edited by carlotpilot

2 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

I brought that up because I tackled one once that had both ends broken off . thought it was just missing but there was about 11/4 in.of a pin  still in the hole almost got to the same point you did

iv had wedge bolts get stuck pretty bad before too. but these ones came right out. really everything came apart nicely other than the splines on the s cam were stuck on the slack adjuster and after getting that apart the splines were pretty much gone, but wedge pin knocked right out no bolts were unusually stuck/stubborn. i really thought half way into it that it was going to be a easy kingpin job. 

worst i had before this one was a izuzu npr where the king pins were so froze up it was hard to turn the wheel with power steering. and i think even those kingpins came out easier than these ones did. 

I watched my mate do some stubborn king pins once. 

He ended up using a hollow ram with a nut welded on the pin and threaded rod inside the ram. 

I don’t have that sorta equipment so I leave well enough alone!

I think you deserve to put your feet up after that effort. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything other than the way my truck's kingpins seem to work (appear to be of the tapered variety).  I remove the lock pin, unscrew and remove the bottom plate, pop the top cap off, and then position a roller thingamabobber from a previous brake change into the hole and give it a good thump and the pin usually drops right out.  Of course in order to get the clearance to do that, I have to remove the brakes and hub assembly...tried it the first time without removing everything and wasted more time beating on the stupid thing than it would've taken to remove and reinstall the parts I was working around...and STILL had to pull them before I could finally get that stupid pin to drop.  Now, I don't even attempt to knock the pin out until I've made room to work.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

yeah mine has straight pins rather than taper, but in theory removal is exactly as you described. i think the taper pins are a much better way to do it than straight pins kinda like a tie rod end. as once you get the slightest movement they will fall out. problem comes in when they have been installed on the truck for god only knows how long and road grim water salt ect. the pin seizes solid into the axle eye. 

You know, though, if it didn't happen on video it may as well have not happened at all.  You've got a good cover story, but without video I'm thinking the Mrs found a greasy truck part in one of her clean kitchen appliances and introduced another kitchen utensil (rolling pin perhaps) to your noggin...

...just sayin'...

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

9 hours ago, HarryS said:

Great video. I admire your dedication, getting right back at it after taking such a blow.  Also good idea on how to make Harbor Freight tools more useful.

not as dedicated as it may seem....lol when i got smacked it was 4-5pm i pretty much picked up for the day and went home didn't get back after it till the next morning. had it been earlier in the day i might have just kept going. but i certainly didn't feel like doing any more work for that day.....lol 

enough years ago that i don't remember how many years ago it was. i pulled in from the road and picked up a slow leak in a steer tire on my way home. i decided to fix it before i went to the house rather than potentially have a flat steer tire when i came back out the next morning. so being in a hurry and wanting to go home. i just nosed the truck in the shop busted the steer tire apart. patched it then before i put it back on i decided i better pressure wash the mud and grime off the rim before i put the tire back on. wheeled the pressure washer over grabbed the pull cord and gave it a sturdy pull. when i did that i racked my elbow into a bracket on the roll up door. and laid my elbow open pretty bad. then im standing there and as im realizing its going to take  a trip for some stitches i look around and realize i cant leave. because i cant close up the shop due to the truck being half way in the door. and i cant move the truck because it doesn't have a steer tire on it. so i remounted the tire backed the truck out of the door and then went to the hospital for stitches. when i came back the next day it took a bit of pressure washing before it no longer looked like a crime scene...lol but that was more a choice of do i want to suffer threw mounting this tire or possibly come back to a shop with no tools in it. 

after i was done pressing the kingpins out i welded some legs on that press and made it a bench top press. i have another stand up but i didn't want to cut it up for this project but it always ends up burred in the corner. i recorded turning it into a bench top press and had planned on including that in this video but this one got kinda long just in what i covered on it so it got left out. maybe it will get included somewhere else or become its own video or maybe end up in the scrapped footage folder i dunno yet....lol 

9 hours ago, j hancock said:

Good video.

PLEASE put some safety glasses on!

yes sometimes i get a little lax on the safety gear. im not sure exactly where i cut the footage but when i first started pressing the kingpin out and there was some tension on the press i put a full face shield i was also standing back and off to the side pretty much completely out of frame. then as soon as it started moving and there wasn't as much force on the press i took it off. i think i was also wearing it when flap disking the axle and spindle. i generally will not do any thing with a grinder or a welder without eye protection (metal in the eye or flash burn is not fun ask me how i know....lol) when i was trying to remove the first one i did have a pair of normal safety glasses on when i got smacked in my face. and i have not found them sense....lol 

safety gear is certainly somewhere i could/should pay more attention to. 

10 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Nice video  hope ya dont get hurt anymore gonna  check out ur YouTube 

thank you. i hope to avoid future injury's as well.