My oldest tool that gets used every day...

RowdyRebel

amazing that the spare jaws are still around !  looks to be as handy as fencing pliers !

I USED to carry a pair of fencing pliers...'til I found these.  Actually these are my second pair.  I'd been carrying the first pair (a little newer...1948) for probably 6-8 months and bought these for my dad (I usually try to find a new tool he doesn't have every year), but the screwdriver side of the handle on the 1922 pair doesn't stick out as far and more closely matches the length of the other handle, so it isn't quite as likely to poke holes in chair backs and such.  Anyway, these are without a doubt more useful than fencing pliers.  Jaws open wider, grip is stronger, and the "hammer" on fencing pliers is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.  About the only thing I've ever found fencing pliers particularly useful for was as a seal puller, as the seal pullers you find at the parts store are rather flimsy.  I suppose the pointy end is also useful to grab that piece of dunnage that is JUUUUUUUST out of your reach.  Other than that, there are tools that perform better and are less hassle to have with you all of the time.

Personally, I don't see why they would've quit making these.  Most useful tool in my arsenal.  Not sure which one I'll give my dad...or maybe I'll get the plates done (matching set of 1926 Illinois license plates) and I can give him those to run on the 1926 Model T that he inherited from his dad.  Illinois lets you run "period" plates on an antique as long as you've got the "official" registration and plate in the car with you.  Kind of leaning towards the 1948 pair right now, but I really bought the 1922 pair for him since I was already carrying the 1948 pair.  The finish on the 1922 pair also looks a little nicer, but the 1948 pair has engravings detailing the features of the tool (as well as the original price the tool sold for at the time) which is kind of cool, too.  I guess I've got a few months to figure all of that out.

IMG_20170910_1837553.jpg

IMG_20170910_1838062.jpg

IMG_20170910_1839029.jpg

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

So let's see some of all y'alls old tools you can't imagine life without...stuff they just don't make anymore that make your life easier because you happen to have one.

My wife and I enjoy browsing antique shops.  She looks at furniture and stuff for the house, and I can spend hours looking through piles of old tools.  I need to know what sort of things I ought to be looking for beyond "that's pretty darned cool" or "I might be able to come up with a use for that"...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I had a lot of old tools, some belonged to my grandfather, but I lost a lot of tools in a shed fire last year. Some are still riding around in a plastic storage bin on the back of the pickup, I'm waiting on a new shed and tool box before I go through them . I saved everything that might be salvageable.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Amazing how thin they used to be able to make quality wrenches.  I've got a few in my tool box from my grandpa as well, and they'll likely outlast most of the thicker wrenches I've bought more recently.  Then again, I'm not as likely to abuse grandpa's old tools the way I'd torture a tool I bought...

• Like 1