Beautiful Catastrophe

Anything salvageable?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Complete loss, no salvage except accessories.   

They put too small a turbo on this dual turbo Inter 4 engine. The seal blows and dumps a mass flow of oil into the engine intake. Hydro fracture separates the sleeve crown and now you have a "jake brake". Funny thing is there was no run-away on oil feed, engine wasn't over revved.

Two years ago I did an in chassis two cylinder rebuild on the inter 3 version of this motor for hydro-fracture. A hydraulic pump seal failed and filled the engine till oil came out the crank recirculation and right into the engine intake. Sheared the piston rings off the piston on #1, damaged #2, but sleeve remained. Guess it is a matter of how much oil hits the engine cylinder and how fast the event occurs? This cylinder was opposite the inlet side of the intake manifold.   

We all agreed buying extended warranty on a new production engine was a good idea. It paid off, 3 years/ 10,000 hours coverage(so we are seeing the lighter side:thumb:). This is the fourth machine to do this out of our dealership's loop.

Pic of the intake grid.

P8140001.thumb.JPG.d36f4c2e30d33e8957ac23a92869b0d1.JPG

• Like 1

Great photos! The worst one I had was in a steel nose R model (RD?) with a Cat 3406. One of the rods broke and flailed around the crank journal, busting out both sides of the block. I don't think anything was salvageable.

I would have to dig up my motor pics from 2000 when I broke the crank in 5 pieces!  Ugly.  Took back of block off.

This is my transmission from a few weeks ago.  Bye into the final and this happened....

IMG_20170730_103114_075.jpg

IMG_20170730_211129_344.jpg

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That is actually a G force GF5R.   Pretty much top of the line stuff...........but they all still break (sooner or later).  That transmission was basically a sponsorship kinda deal.  I called my guy in PA and he is getting me parts to rebuild it.  So, currently I put my old Doug Nash box back in that I've run since 1996.  I've broken a gear or two, maybe a shaft, but I've NEVER had one come apart this bad.  It broke when I hit 3rd gear, the parts then went to the rear of the case and got tangled up in 1-2 gear and that forced the cluster shaft down and out!  The aluminum handcuff that is suppose to keep the shafts together got blown apart!

I've checked runout on the shafts and they are still good.  Just need a case, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears.  Simple huh?   If I had to pay it would be north of $2500, easy.     Glad I have someone that likes me and wants to give me stuff!  I have dealt with him since I bought my Nash for any parts I've needed.  My car typically doesn't spit stuff out, but every year or two it will break a gear.  Pretty lucky overall.

Larry

Safe guess you are torqueing past spec a bit?

Not really.  It is all clutch related for the most part.   Hit anything too hard and it will break.  The track was hooking, hard that day.  I don't usually have to loosen the clutch up as  I have it set at a pretty safe spot.   We just put it up to it was an old box, LOTS of passes.  Just put its time in and decided it was done.

Larry

Heyyy, I found the pictures.  It was the top of 2nd gear, 6000 rpm and..............Bang.  It shook really hard, but with that big hunk of counterweight on the back of the crank spinning with the flywheel it took a few seconds to settle down.  Didn't really make any mess on the track, the pan kept most all of it inside.  Only fell apart when I took it out of the car.  The crank is broken in 5 pcs.  From the center main forward it is perfect shape.  No 3/6 rods are holding onto a chunk, 4/8 are on another chunk(see it laying in the pan in lower picture)

I have a picture of me standing next to the car/motor after I got it........I know I looked A LOT younger back then LOL!

block.jpg

mainrods.jpg

motorpan.jpg

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Larry

All a good argument for a scatter blanket.

Engine blankets are becoming more mandated then ever before.  Mostly to help with clean up and the other is to keep cars from getting in their own oil and having bad things happen down track.

They were talking about a year ago that even a 12 second street car would need a blanket.  That was quickly squashed because so many factory cars will run 12's easily and most people are not going to spend that kind of money and headache on a daily driver.

• Like 1

Larry

Freightrain, you're a drag racer,speaking of destruction have you seen the photo of the Willys gasser from the 60s with the crank,pistons, and nearly every reciprocating part visable in the smoke under the engine?😁  By the way my friend from Ohio says he has been watching you race your Ford wagon for years!