Tire Survey

Mike

Thought I would try and run this across you guy's, since many of you have bought many sets of tire's in your lifetime. I'm getting ready to make an enormous purchase and wondered what tires would be best on my new old Ford F-350 Dually. I need a highway tread mainly but also may need to use this truck this winter. Normally mild in this region but will occasionally catch us off guard and rain then freeze up and finally snow, sometimes deep but not like in the upper eastern region of the country. I have 235 / 85 R 16 on stock rims. So my question would be, what are some very good tires for the truck? Thanks in advance.   

I replaced the OE tires on my F 350 SRW with Michelin LTX M&S. The tread is really  highway with enough separation to be effective in snow.  It is amazing how much quieter and smoother these tires are than the original Continentals which only lasted a little over 35K.

• Like 1

I got 48,000 highway miles on a set of General Grabber HTS LT245-75R17 on a Ford F250 FWD.  Not real great in the snow but FWD takes care of that.  Put the same thing on for replacements and at 64,000 still look good.

With tires, Everyone will have an opinion!

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I will put either Michelin or BF Goodrich (made by Michelin) LT235-80R/17 on the steering of my Dodge 3500 in the spring before going to Des Moines. Will have to look at what my tire man has in the right weight range?

Brocky

I run BFG All-Terrain's on my F250...LT285/75R16. Never NOT been able to go anywhere I've ever needed to go. Used to have 33x12.5x16.5 tires and ran the BFG All-Terrains then, too...bought new rims (looked identical to the old ones) because I needed a more "available" tire size instead of "special order only, might be a while".

Wife's Suburban has the General Grabbers, and despite having a similar tread pattern, they don't have NEAR as much bite. Tried backing up to a shed where the hay wagons were stored to hook up & pull them out and couldn't back up the hill....ended up pushing the hay wagons down the hill to the Suburban. Sure, it was muddy...but the tires were brand new. Same hill backing up to the same shed, this time with MORE mud (it had just rained the night before) and pushing a hay dolly with a round bale on it behind me, my F250 didn't slip a tire even though the tires have a few years and several thousand miles on 'em. Both are 4x4 with open diffs.

I won't buy another set of the Generals...rather pay a little more and get the BFG's.

...was going to add that it's the same LT285/75R16 tire size on the wife's Suburban...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Yokahoma Geaolander AT's have been the best tire I've owned to date. 

This is the tire one of the tire shops is trying to get me to buy. I question the stability in the curves. Right now it has a wobble at about 40 mph and 75 mph, but probably because of mix match tires that are on it now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

This is the tire one of the tire shops is trying to get me to buy. I question the stability in the curves. Right now it has a wobble at about 40 mph and 75 mph, but probably because of mix match tires that are on it now.

my 06 f350 fwd dually had the ford death wobble would usually  start in a curve with a bump in it found the trac bar end bad, but after replacing that it would still do it but not as bad. replaced all 6 tires and it drives great again this round I bought firestone AT tires will be able to report on the snow thing in a few weeks.  

1 minute ago, gearhead204 said:

my 06 f350 fwd dually had the ford death wobble would usually  start in a curve with a bump in it found the trac bar end bad, but after replacing that it would still do it but not as bad. replaced all 6 tires and it drives great again this round I bought firestone AT tires will be able to report on the snow thing in a few weeks.  

I had several sway bar ends replaced and pumped up the air bags to 30 lbs.it now does very well. 

• Like 1

I have one Badyear on right front. Looks like someone needed a new tire for whatever reason. Being the newest tire i'll most likely use it for a spare since the truck has no spare and the hoist cable had broke sometime in it's travels. I'm looking online for a Dorman Hoist. Don't particularly like carrying a spare tire in the bed of a truck. It too easy enough for some sticky fingers person to run off with it. I'm still concerned about the wobble or squirmy feel of the truck. Is this just normal for a truck this size or what?It do have airbags on the rear pumped up to 30 lbs.  

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

I am happy to see we are all in agreement that Goodyear tires suck. Nobody here has mentioned them. Overpriced, overrated, and too soft.

I am on my second set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on my 1500 Silverado. I do a LOT of highway miles plus the snows of the mid-atlantic region and a lot of construction sites. The last set I got around 45,000 and if history repeats this set should do about the same. I am happy with them. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I do like BFG's. Ran one set of M/T's for a couple of years for both summer and winter. Than had A/T's on another vehicle ans was happy with them for 3 years with no swap in the winter time. They weren't nice for real ice. But good enough when mostly in the city or nearby. Currently I wear out Yokohama's M/T for no less than 70000km to the moment. Their look tells 10-15K more would be Ok. But I like to get muddy ocassionnaly. And can do it any time I want. So for highway reason I'd go with something smoother along the thread. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

2 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I am on my second set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on my 1500 Silverado. I do a LOT of highway miles plus the snows of the mid-atlantic region and a lot of construction sites. The last set I got around 45,000 and if history repeats this set should do about the same. I am happy with them. 

Only had Goodyears on new cars not trucks. Those factory tires just never got enough miles from them. Can't relate to the truck tires. My trucks had B.F. Goodrich T/A Radials with white letters and they did alright, got good mileage even with custom wheels.

4 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

I do like BFG's. Ran one set of M/T's for a couple of years for both summer and winter. Than had A/T's on another vehicle ans was happy with them for 3 years with no swap in the winter time. They weren't nice for real ice. But good enough when mostly in the city or nearby. Currently I wear out Yokohama's M/T for no less than 70000km to the moment. Their look tells 10-15K more would be Ok. But I like to get muddy ocassionnaly. And can do it any time I want. So for highway reason I'd go with something smoother along the thread. 

Yes V, sounds like a really good tire and very decent mileage from them. I also like the old Cooper Tire name. Those and General were a fairly good tire in it's day, not sure about them today.  

A friend of mine (he works for me either) use Cooper Discoverer M/T's for a while. Probably two sets to the moment. He used to ride 35/12.5R15 on his 1983 Mercedes G. The rig is mostly made for hard off-road but used for everyday run in the city either. And when he goes to some off-road challenge there usually is a highway trip of 1000-1500 km to the area. Sure no really fast runs but 100 km/h (60mph) is an almost normal thing.

There are Russian-made tyres also. I don't know how they are of quality now. Heard some were not bad. But 15-20 years ago they were all crap. People had no alternative until used tyres came to the country together with used foreign vehicles. Personally I prefere to avoid using them until would hear good recomendations for no less than 5 or more years. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

4 hours ago, Vladislav said:

A friend of mine (he works for me either) use Cooper Discoverer M/T's for a while. Probably two sets to the moment. He used to ride 35/12.5R15 on his 1983 Mercedes G. The rig is mostly made for hard off-road but used for everyday run in the city either. And when he goes to some off-road challenge there usually is a highway trip of 1000-1500 km to the area. Sure no really fast runs but 100 km/h (60mph) is an almost normal thing.

There are Russian-made tyres also. I don't know how they are of quality now. Heard some were not bad. But 15-20 years ago they were all crap. People had no alternative until used tyres came to the country together with used foreign vehicles. Personally I prefere to avoid using them until would hear good recomendations for no less than 5 or more years. 

Vlad, if I were over there, I would be driving a MIG 29 for pleasure runs. LOL

• Like 2