B61 Steering Play

58GreenMackB

I've been slowly working through getting all my gauges to work on my truck since purchasing it last month.  Luckily Watts is down the road from me so I can get what I need to fix the parts that are missing or broken.  Next spring I plan on going through all the front suspension components.  Replacing kingpins and tie rod ends etc.  For now, I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what I can do to alleviate some of the loose  steering at higher speeds.  When I drove the truck home on the PA turnpike, there were times when the steering required constant adjustment to keep it straight.  I've checked all the components underneath and everything seems tight and as it should be.  Could it be that the sector shaft in the box needs some adjustment or something else?  Any input would be appreciated!

• Like 1

First of all is no one with out looking and driving it can tell you whats wrong ,but if you want to set the steering box there was two different boxes.One has a nut on the back side that covers a adjusting screw and the other has shims on the adjusting screw.When you adjust it the box has to be in its center of travel.Also there is brgs in the shaft coming up to the steering wheel.Also there is things other than that that needs checked.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I know no one can tell me whats wrong, but they can give me some general direction on where to begin looking.  From experience with our 61 Corvette that looks to have similar setup, the ball stud and the drag links would get worn and cause play in the steering.  If it is this, does anyone know where replacement parts would be available?  

On 9/26/2016 at 7:16 AM, 58GreenMackB said:

Thanks guys.  I know the front end is out of alignment.  When I got it home, I noticed that the one tire is wearing more on the inside.  Think this is something I will fix next spring when I rebuild the front end.

Kingpin on the side with tire worn more on the inside?

3 hours ago, terry said:

Kingpin on the side with tire worn more on the inside?

Could, it will cause a camber problem if it is excessively worn.    Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 9/26/2016 at 0:48 PM, Vladislav said:

All as said above but I would add a bit.

When you have your rig roaming over the road or other steering issues it also could be caused by loosy rear axle(s). You have your truck steered by the front wheels for sure. But in theory the rear ones could do it either.

Vlad

Would not want Lucy near my rear axle. They must spell the names different over there. 

Jack the front end up, grab a tire and see how loose the pins are.   Could be just spindle bearings too.  Then work your way back to the steering box.

I recommend a block of wood and long bar to pry up/test the tie rod ends.  Don't try it with just your hands like a car,  you won't move it enough.  Ask me how I found that one out?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Would not want Lucy near my rear axle. They must spell the names different over there. 

As for me I would make the final choice on it depending of how Luciya is nice and pretty

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Everyone's advice was valid on your steering issues. Also after you replace all the appropriate bushings and such,it is good to measure the rear axle position from some part of the frame that doesn't wear like a bolt hole that exists on both sides of the frame to the same place on the axle. Do the same on the front axle. You don't have a truck frame rack so this will be approximate. If  the truck doesn't wander after you've replaced all the inexpensive wear items,and the kingpins are within tolerance you're probably good! Like 41 Chevy. Says a worn kingpin will wear the tire on the inside, Incorrect tire pressure will wear the tire unevenly just like a car,but it is simpler to diagnose on a straight beam axle. One of the members surely has a manual on B model alignment specs.Don't adjust the steering box too tight or it will bind,also cause extra wear.Do they still have a Mack dealer on Beaver Ave in Pgh? I'm sure Watts is a fine dealership,but I'm surprised you have to go all the way to W.Alex. To get parts! Have fun on you're winter project, I like the way you're B looks already!

• Like 1