Value of a 1952 Mack A30H

I can't put a value on it either but judging from the pics and if you say it is in really good shape unless the person knows nothing about it (doubtful), it will cost you a good penny. Add to the fact that you wont get an engine or trans plus other associated missing items it will end up being a project for sure. You just have to decide how much you want it to hurt the pocket book. Let us know what you end up buying it for. Not that we will sell our trucks but gives us a good idea of what the market is doing. Good luck!!

It may not be a A30 but something else like an A40 or A50.  It has the hood emblems so you are off to a good start I would be $1200 to $1500 tops that is way more than scrap and it will give you some meat on the bone to get you a 5.9 cummins.  That thing won't take a very big motor and I ended up with a DD453.  A DD6-71 wont fit, a 673 or 2 Mack, a 250 cummins wont fit.  

Ask me how I know.:lol:

20160514_113018.jpeg

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Can you find the corresponding  serial/model number by right rear spring mount?  Does it have just the in-cab fuel tank?  Shouldn't the wheels be the old bud wobblers?  Head lights are aftermarket.   Might be a different frame and running gear?   Thanks,  Keith

Edited by Keith Pommerening
More Questions

My bet is the ID plate is not original since the chassis number is missing and it is fastened on with screws, not rivets. My first impression is it is actually an "E" model, but that could just be the grill modification since both the "E" and the "A" share the same sheet metal.

The chassis number may also be on the right front frame horn.

It would be a perfect candidate for a Cummins 5.9 transplant. There are several out there and if it is properly done it makes a very clean installation.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

it's an A model,it has vent windows,rubber mounted windshield,and A type hood&grille shell. All old Macks from the E's to the early R's had the serial# plate put on with screws. I don't think chasis # is missing from plate,he just didn't get it in the pic. That's apretty cool,straight old truck,that vintage sleeper really sets it off. Everybody likes a bargain,but I see $3500 there at least.

Your right Mike, I missed the vent windows, etc., but the screws look like cone head, not flat head. The plate just doesn't look right to be perfectly un-scientific.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

My guess is this is an A50 chassis. You will note that there is a cord for operating the air horns, and a small round air pressure gauge between the speedometer and the gauge panel indicating air breaks which were not available on the A30.. A 40's and a50's came with progressively longer hoods than the A30 to accommodate larger engines including a diesel in the A50 and both were available with 3 axils. The hood and wider fenders appear to me to bee from the larger trucksThe Guide Headlights will not be cheap as they are sought after by hot rods. RT

• 4 years later...
On 9/10/2016 at 10:53 PM, russell t said:

My guess is this is an A50 chassis. You will note that there is a cord for operating the air horns, and a small round air pressure gauge between the speedometer and the gauge panel indicating air breaks which were not available on the A30.. A 40's and a50's came with progressively longer hoods than the A30 to accommodate larger engines including a diesel in the A50 and both were available with 3 axils. The hood and wider fenders appear to me to bee from the larger trucksThe Guide Headlights will not be cheap as they are sought after by hot rods. RT

Well here I am 5 years later and the only thing I noticed to add to the quessing is that there are removable pannels below both doors, and they are still here which is rare. the right panel is for battery access and the left one is for access to the hydro vac and master cyl. access A30's only came with hydraulic brakes. Finding a shutter assembly may be difficult but would look great. A low budget option would to use a B42-EN402 engine and transmission which would bolt right in. As to value you have already established that but I would add that the absents of cultivator style wheels should add at least 4K, good luck and enjoy.

Thanks Russell. I started the project about a year ago. I like the tuff old Macks and even run a couple of 2008 end dumps at work. But this one I did the dreaded cab change. Moved it to a 93 d350 with the 12 valve and 5 speed getrag. Lots of thinking and lots of challenges. Dodge frame was extended cab but still had to stretch 13 inches to still run the sleeper and get a 9’ hauler style bed on it. Moved engine and tranny back 4 inches in order to move radiator back to make room for inter cooler and a/c condenser coil. When done it will have the great Mack look but a much better ride. Will lose the tandem but it was just added by previous owner. Couldn’t stay original on the dash due to damage but it turned out okay. Here’s a few pictures. Thanks 

61A15AA4-200B-4740-AB79-CE6796D89D22.jpeg

F2C1E747-ACCA-44F2-9EEF-0598988856B8.jpeg

FBC78E82-AAB0-4C27-9AF2-038D8660B04B.jpeg

55846ECF-A59E-4794-B889-D9DB2564457C.jpeg