Strange electrical glitch in RD tractor

I was put in a RD tractor at work this week its a computer controlled engine and a strange thing happens to it at 4:30 every day it starts to lope like its shutting down then catches itself it will do that rythemically every couple seconds. The truck starts and runs like a champ everyday until 4:30 PM doesn't matter what time you start it or how long you run it the lope starts everyday at the same time. The truck was driven by a driver who was a slob and spilled a 32 ounce drink on the dash drowning the computer and shorting it out so they bought a new computer and installed it and from day one this issue has started this truck sat in the yard for ten years with dead batteries and when starting it up after all that time it still had this problem mack couldn't tell the mechanic at the shop why it does this. Anyone ever hear of something like this the head mechanic is going to disconnect the computer and unhook the batteries for a couple hours hoping to set the time back a couple hours so it has a longer run time anyone ever hear of something like this?

What are you near at 4:30 when it does that? Power Towers, Radio dish or Cel tower?  Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Not sure I understand...  Did it have the problem before the computer was replaced?  From above, " so they bought a new computer and installed it and from day one this issue has started"

Do you have another computer you could try, switch them out and see what happens.  New doesn't necessarily mean "good."  Would be nice to eliminate the computer as the source of the problem.  Failing that, does it have any aftermarket add-on electronic items?

Edited by grayhair

1 hour ago, grayhair said:

Not sure I understand...  Did it have the problem before the computer was replaced?  From above, " so they bought a new computer and installed it and from day one this issue has started"

Do you have another computer you could try, switch them out and see what happens.  New doesn't necessarily mean "good."  Would be nice to eliminate the computer as the source of the problem.  Failing that, does it have any aftermarket add-on electronic items?

Its not an aftermarket computer or anything else it started when they replaced it with a OE computer.

OK, understood.  What I am suggesting is that the new OE computer may be defective.  I don't know how difficult and expensive to change out the computer but just because it is a new one doesn't necessarily mean it is a good one.  Maybe it is defective.  Wouldn't be the first time a new part from the dealer was no good. 

One other question...  If you start the truck an hour earlier, do the problems show up an hour earlier, at 3:30 rather than 4:30?

Edited by grayhair

11 hours ago, grayhair said:

OK, understood.  What I am suggesting is that the new OE computer may be defective.  I don't know how difficult and expensive to change out the computer but just because it is a new one doesn't necessarily mean it is a good one.  Maybe it is defective.  Wouldn't be the first time a new part from the dealer was no good. 

One other question...  If you start the truck an hour earlier, do the problems show up an hour earlier, at 3:30 rather than 4:30?

Doesn't matter when it is started 5 AM or 4 PM still happens at the same time.

Sounds like Underdog may have it right.  The only thing I can imagine is that your tractor is pulsed by a satellite signal every day at the same time.  Say a fleet operator has software that is programmed to query their fleet once a day, every day, at the same time, to create a management report:  Unit location, status, days operating data, etc.  Your truck goes into limp mode while the data is being sent.  

Just guessing of course but seems possible.  If your tractor was purchased used, maybe a tracking system was installed by a previous owner and they didn't remove it when they sold?  Hope you get it figured out.   

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the new OE computer may be defective.  I don't know how difficult and expensive to change out the computer but just because it is a new one doesn't necessarily mean it is a good one.  Maybe it is defective.  Wouldn't be the first time a new part from the dealer was no good. 

pcb assembly company

Edited by VallyOrent

• 1 year later...