Lost E9 Engines

DSCannon

Much thanks to your friend for sharing these photographs.

The black engine appears to be a "display" unit. Does it have unit pump injection? Mack Trucks had planned to re-launch the E9 V-8 in 2003 with Bosch electronic unit pump (EUP) injection. Revisions allowed it to meet the latest EPA standards

The military spec units were probably built in 2003.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fjh said:

K

Did they have a prototype built or was it all on paper? Since the Volvo trashers Didn't and haven't used Any of the good ideas they inherited Why would they run with a revised V8!  Turds!

Yes, a running prototype was built. The program was mature.

I believe the green one was built it the mid to late 80s. I have a Bulldog Magazine with a picture of it painted gray but the after cooler was a different color and I believe the turbos were red. I'll post a pic shortly. Also if you look in the pictures above it has a V pump not an inline. Very very cool!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Josh:MackLogo:  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 11:03 PM, ws721 said:

The dark green engine intercooled?  Imagine if those went up for sale?!  That would be intresting

All the new spare French Military E9's came back to the States a while ago. There were about 10-14 of them and Dale Francis has them now. I saw a few there at his place... way cool to see but sadly they are all getting parted out. There was some major issues getting them back in the USA and they can not be sold complete due to emissions. Not being US emission certified is what he said.  There are about 10-12 more take outs over there but... the hassle of getting to them. If you had a big wad of cash I bet one could go out the back door. ;);) 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2016 at 9:05 PM, staxx said:

Here's the big six and the cutaway 👍🏁

That big six would've completely changed the history of mack trucks. I love the e9 but that big block six could have been rated from 350 all the way to 550hp   if it was produced and lasted thru the 2000s . Would have been popular engine.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2016 at 11:04 AM, AZB755V8 said:

Taking a closer look at that engine, those are E9 heads. Same bore but bigger stroke. Still wonder why it got shelved??              

It's a shame , that big six would have made mack more competitive in the 90s . They could have marketed the CL 600 series to the big fleets that run full size 120 inch BBC trucks with the big bore six . When strict emission rules took effect that big six would have handled being choked better than the e7  did.