Like watching an execution

dogg rescue

I hauled a load of scrap into West Fargo yesterday and while they were unloading me I spotted some UPS vehicles in the yard. There was two cube vans they were destroying with a giant claw, while this was amusing, I wanted to cry when they moved the last one and I saw a decent looking Mack ch. It had a flawless hood, nice cab, grille, clear headlights, bumper, and fuel tanks. With one guy taking a video on his phone the other guy ripped into the truck mercilessly. I went to weigh out, there was a UPS rep in the scale room watching all of this. I told the guy "I could have used a lot of parts off that truck" but he gave me the standard b.s. answer of how they never sell trucks because of liabilities or people impersonating them. What a waste of good stuff, I'm sure that truck got everything it needed right up to the day it was pulled out of service.

Its sad that companies go on and on about environmental awareness and being green, even buy CNG and electric vehicles, then waste resources like this.  It's a much bigger "carbon footprint" to not recycle truck parts and pieces than all those alternative fuel vans can overcome.  

I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap  now for saying carbon footprint. :)

• Like 2

I suspect a lot of the usable parts there was any demand for were recycled internally by UPS. And yes, I was tempted by a UPS MH that appears to have escaped whole and reappeared at a skid steer dealer in Dassel, MN. Last time I was by there I didn't see it. The Postal Service was also witnessing the scrapping of some of the old Jeeps, but that was because the frames were so badly rusted.

2 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

some of that to be split among the states and tribal nations. Wouldn't it make more sense to donate the bought back cars to low income folks in those tribal nations who desperately need transportation?

Nothing against your idea of donating these cars, I'm all for it,  but I know more than a few non tribal families that would be forever grateful for a reliable, modern car to drive.  

It is real scary how the feds are handling this VW emissions issue. If they are able to bully around a massive automaker like VW, imagine what BS they will pull the next time the mood hits them to squash a corporation they "feel" is in the wrong. I used the term "feds"  because I don't really believe it makes any difference at all which political party is in elected office, the people involved in this type of thing are unelected and untouchable. 

I would do the buyback in a heartbeat if the only other option is a franken-car with a patchwork emissions fix on it.  My concerns would be reliabilty/driveability, and also the fact you wouldn't be able to give it away when it comes time to sell or trade.  Fuel economy and overall engine life would be questioned too. 

It isn't like it was unintended. They tried to scam the system, got caught and have to pay the price. As was said before on another subject. "the law is the law and all are treated equaly"

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

This has been standard operating procedure for UPS for years. There are only two ex-UPS rigs that exist that I know of- both owned by the Mack Museum- a CNG CH in the museum itself and an F-Model daycab which is on loan to the America on Wheels Museum in Allentown, Pa. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

5 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

It isn't like it was unintended. They tried to scam the system, got caught and have to pay the price. As was said before on another subject. "the law is the law and all are treated equaly"

Very true. I forget that sometimes.  There was intent to be deceptive by VW.

I guess anytime big brother (especially EPA) gets involved in something, my initial response is to support whatever they're against.  I'm funny that way, I guess. :)   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

I guess anytime big brother (especially EPA) gets involved in something, my initial response is to support whatever they're against.  I'm funny that way, I guess. :)   

Would it be worth asking the scrap company to let you know when the next me come through and see if you could buy some parts from them? 

I don't think they would be opposed to the extra few dollars. 

11 hours ago, Timmyb said:

Would it be worth asking the scrap company to let you know when the next me come through and see if you could buy some parts from them? 

They have a strict policy that once it comes in it doesn't leave, but I did notice one day a pile of aluminum intakes and carburetors, I asked one of the guys about it and he said,"it looks like someone is waiting for the boss to be gone."

11 hours ago, Timmyb said:

No, it is not possible. As stated, there is always a witness from UPS on hand to witness the destruction, plus the scrap companies have to sign extremely air-tight contracts forbidding them from even the mere thought of parting out......**OR ELSE**

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

16 hours ago, RedBullDog said:

As much as I distrust (for want of a better word) god like appointed agencies and most all other Government entities, this is a rare exception for me ,only because V.W. knew exactly what they were doing fro the start, un like Navistar who used EPA developed technology and got their ass handed to them for "breaking the rules".   Paul 

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

When ups bought out overnite they brought the practice of truck disposal with them........I seen MANY trucks with major repairs on them be put on the scrap line days and weeks after these repairs......the only way we got any parts off of them was if we had an immediate need for them like a truck down in the shop..,yes a supervisor from ups had to be at salvage yard and witness the crushing......waste in my opinion.......I also seen loads of jacks,jack stands,engine hoist,ladders,and various other shop tools cut up with the torch and thrown in the metal bin if the data plate on the particular tool was damaged....they also took out all bench grinders and we had to use hand grinders or ziz wheels....I could write a book........Bobby j.

ya would be tough to watch,,,,i got my doors for my DM off a UPS F model   he had 3 of them close to here got real lucky...small wrecking yard   he just cut the frames in half,,,so they couldnt be sold,,,but was parting them out...bob

UPS is like this. Our local scrap yard gets some of the UPS contracts. I've seen them drive the trucks to the yard to be scrapped, good decent trucks with new tires.

UPS's agreement states that not so much as a tail light lense can be salvaged. Many times they will have a UPS representative on site to witness the destruction. They take a hole saw and saw through the sidewall of the tires, some of them look brand new.

I don't know for sure why they do this but a guy told me that it's a agreement UPS has with the manufacturers. They sell them the trucks at such a great deal and UPS agrees to destroy them when they are finished as to not flood the market with trucks. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as it's got to cost UPS millions.

My wife's uncle drove for UPS. He said they had a roll of duct tape and some black plastic in all the trucks. The directive was that if they were ever in a accident and not injured, they were to cover up all the UPS decals. Like anybody would be fooled by a big brown truck with the name covered up. They do have some strange ways.

Well I did a little bit of investigating and UPS claims liability, image, and secret tech in the trucks as to why they destroy them. I call a BS on all accounts. 

Anybody knows you aren't legally liable for a used truck you sell. I don't buy the image deal either because all you'd have to do is paint it or have that as a stipulation of purchase. And does anybody actually believe their trucks have secret technology?

I also find it odd that they go to great lengths to remove any reference to the brand of the truck, although I've been seeing them slipping on this a little lately.

26 minutes ago, m16ty said:

Well I did a little bit of investigating and UPS claims liability, image, and secret tech in the trucks as to why they destroy them. I call a as on all accounts. 

Anybody knows you aren't legally liable for a used truck you sell. I don't buy the image deal either because all you'd have to do is paint it or have that as a stipulation of purchase. And does anybody actually believe their trucks have secret technology?

I also find it odd that they go to great lengths to remove any reference to the brand of the truck, although I've been seeing them slipping on this a little lately.

Don't know what they got in those trucks but they will roll on; we pulled lot of extra freight during peak season for them last year; and those trucks will roll on pulling the 53's or doubles; past me bunch of times & my cruise set at 65; have seen them out pull me on hills too

Use to unload "package cars" for UPS.  Was in the back of a Ford 150 van.  Lifted a bundle of cultivator shanks and my feet went through the floor of the rusty van and I was standing on the concrete floor with bloody shins.  Next day they put tread plate in that van and then it was back on the route.  Use to watch the mechanic change a tire.   He would put the impact wrench down when done and spray paint the lug nuts.  Use to spot dollies and hook the doubles and triples together, that got me in trouble with the union.  Don't work there any more.

• Like 1