Original 77 RS700L from 'Convoy'

Just curious to know what happened to this truck. It's the one that was returned to Mack and sold on, becoming a dump truck . The last I heard of it was a few years ago when Dan Bruno had it. I think this is one of his pictures I found on ATHS.

65b4869b-205b-4dc9-b90b-959d.jpg

This is it after Dan Bruno did the restoration.  Dan may be on Facebook but he doesn't seem to be on any of the computer truck forums anymore.

Edit: See correction and clarification in next post down.

ba97f4e7f28c5f8098a405b4fc9da1f1.jpg

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

That truck and the one Dan restored are 2 different trucksThe one Dan restored was actually a mix of parts from one or 2 of the movie trucks that were wrecked,and a completely different RS700. I don't know if his website is still up,but it went into great detail on the build and all the trucks used to film the movie.He later acquired the one pictured above that had been turned into a dumptruck,but sold it and it now belongs to an active member of this forum (not me). 

Dan recently sold the restored truck and it now resides in GA,I believe.

• Like 2

Mike

I believe you are right.. Our Chapter president talked with him somewhere early in the spring about bringing it to our Dacusville SC show then to Brad Wike's Lincolnton NC show the next weekend.

• Like 1

Brocky

17 hours ago, Superdog said:

That truck and the one Dan restored are 2 different trucksThe one Dan restored was actually a mix of parts from one or 2 of the movie trucks that were wrecked,and a completely different RS700. I don't know if his website is still up,but it went into great detail on the build and all the trucks used to film the movie.He later acquired the one pictured above that had been turned into a dumptruck,but sold it and it now belongs to an active member of this forum (not me). 

Once again we must be a proud crowd having the member who cares about that legendary truck!

Mike, thank you for sharing the facts. Life looks going its own way and does it fast.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 3:27 AM, Superdog said:

That's pretty much the way I understood it. I think the restored truck started out as a replica and when Dan found the 2nd wrecked second unit truck he incorporated parts from it. The yellow one is the original First unit supplied by Mack. Apparently, it was largely original including engine ,frame cab etc. although someone had swapped the camelback for a Pete air leaf set up. It's a great piece of trucking history and a lucky guy who has it now!

I didn't know Dan had sold the restored truck as well. I used to follow his site and his posts but he seems to have gone very quiet over the last few years. It's a pity as he has to be the absolute authority on 'Convoy' and its trucks .

Hi gents,

So the cream coloured truck in the first post is the primary truck from the film, the 1977 RS712LST Vin number 35492. 

Presides this primary truck 3 other RS700L's where used. I believe the restored truck was the second highway double vin 6646. It wound up being converted to a cement mixer and wracked in 1986 and bought and rebuilt in 2007.  I also believe when they found the surviving trailer they also found another wrecked truck along with many of the wrecked cars from the film. 

Cheers 

59 minutes ago, fullfuel01 said:

'crazyness  comes in defferent form' 

this is one part of our craziness. We bought the truck from Dan few years back. We are now collecting parts to restore it to it's original new condition. that include many many NOS parts.

iphoneJeffaout2015 652.JPG

F-80 / T-33 in back ground?

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, fullfuel01 said:

'crazyness  comes in defferent form' 

this is one part of our craziness. We bought the truck from Dan few years back. We are now collecting parts to restore it to it's original new condition. that include many many NOS parts.

Hat's off !!

The most of steam locomotives were black though:)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Without a doubt, hands down, absolutely, etc, etc... Dan is the information authority on the movie "Convoy".  For many years he lived, slept & breathed that movie. Traveling to the filming destinations, meeting with people involved & even becoming good friends with Erine Borgnine. Often priorities have to change (I know all too well) and that is what happened with Dan, I do believe, as he sold his trucks and eventually took down his website. I'm sure he still has all of his collected information stashed away someplace. 

Glad to see that the Rubber Duck's mount is in good hands. Is the plan to restore it as it was in the film?

I was amazed at how much Dan knew about that movie and he was also very generous in sharing that information. I emailed him on several occasions with obscure questions about the trucks  and he always came back with a reply. Perhaps he can write a book someday!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read, the whole filming of the movie was a disaster but it was somehow edited into a good movie.

They wrecked a lot of trucks, some of them on loan. I read they they returned the destroyed trucks to the owners with nothing more than "sorry".

^^^I read a story about Bob Chandler and Bigfoot.  Anyone remember the movie "Take this job and shove it"?  They used Bigfoot in many scenes.   The director had them basically destroying the truck.  That is until Bob basically told them "NO" and demanded he wanted control over who drove it and what they did with it.  The ending scene where it goes through the guard shack?  Yup, that was Bob driving it(with beard shaved off because actor Robert Hays didn't have beard).

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"