Garage sale score

Underdog

Nice find! I'd have bought that radio too. First CB I had was a Sharp, bought it in 1976 I believe. I think a Royce was pretty much top of the line then! Royce, Sharp, Johnson, Midland,Teaberry, Pace...what was that other one?..can't remember, but these were all popular radios then, don't know if they still make any of them.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Think my first was a Tandy from Radio Shack and replaced it with an Audiovox, remember it was a big deal because you needed to fill out an FCC form for a call sign.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, other dog said:

Nice find! I'd have bought that radio too. First CB I had was a Sharp, bought it in 1976 I believe. I think a Royce was pretty much top of the line then! Royce, Sharp, Johnson, Midland,Teaberry, Pace...what was that other one?..can't remember, but these were all popular radios then, don't know if they still make any of them.

There was also Pearce-Simpson CB radios and marine radios.  I was an inside salesman at Pearce-Simpson in the early '70's and sold at least 25,000 of those CB radio to dealers around the U.S.  I imagine by now they've all been crushed when the vehicles they were in went to the big junkyard in the sky...

Edited by grayhair
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Think my first was a Tandy from Radio Shack and replaced it with an Audiovox, remember it was a big deal because you needed to fill out an FCC form for a call sign.

I remember that- still remember my call sign, KAAT-3608.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I may put it in my F-MODEL , but I would have to build an enclosure. I don't want to cut the dashboard. I already have a CB, but no AM/FM. Doubt I would be able to hear it anyway.

Be sure to check the ground, some of the old macks are positive ground.  terry

I still have the first CB I bought, a Realistic(radio shack) almost 30 years old. Still use it in my Jeep.

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

I still have the first CB I bought, a Realistic(radio shack) almost 30 years old. Still use it in my Jeep.

That's the one I was trying to think of, lots of people had them in the 70's and 80's.

Palomar! Another name i'd almost forgotten- I stopped coming down rt. 15 one night, somewhere between Frederick and rt. 29 in Va. and bought an almost new 100 watt Palomar from another driver for $100. I already had a 150 watt Texas Star.

3 hours ago, other dog said:

(courier) was a great cb also .  i still have a courier traveler 23  and a c-royale base set somewhere around here

1 hour ago, other dog said:

Palomar! Another name i'd almost forgotten- I stopped coming down rt. 15 one night, somewhere between Frederick and rt. 29 in Va. and bought an almost new 100 watt Palomar from another driver for $100. I already had a 150 watt Texas Star.

hadda 250 palomar kicker,,,,years ago,,,,could get out around 50 miles.lol.excellent...bob

I was given a NIB Midland 23 channel  "Convoy Buddy" (complete  with C.W McCall's likeness on the box)radio by a good friend  of mine,a couple  of  months  ago . It was gently used but still  has all the paperwork  with it. I think it is going in the  BCR. My first radio was a Midland  23 channel I bought  new   in '75  for  like  $  125.00. KQE  -2406  was my call letters. Talked out of the house with it in high school.Had a Shakespeare  whip fastened to  a power pole right  outside  by bedroom  window. Used to talk to  a bunch  folks up to 10 miles away  with that set up for a few years. Al 

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Back in the mid 70s I had a moonraker six beam and I was running the white face Johnson pushing the XL1000 varmint.On fri and sat nights us that belong to a radio club here would stay up all night or after midnight I should say because you would put new programs on them.One night a friend of mine talked to some one who wanted to come vist him next day and next day was sat when a FFC inspector came in.He had to go to court to keep out of jail.

glenn akers

14 hours ago, 57 bcr said:

I was given a NIB Midland 23 channel  "Convoy Buddy" (complete  with C.W McCall's likeness on the box)radio by a good friend  of mine,a couple  of  months  ago . It was gently used but still  has all the paperwork  with it. I think it is going in the  BCR. My first radio was a Midland  23 channel I bought  new   in '75  for  like  $  125.00. KQE  -2406  was my call letters. Talked out of the house with it in high school.Had a Shakespeare  whip fastened to  a power pole right  outside  by bedroom  window. Used to talk to  a bunch  folks up to 10 miles away  with that set up for a few years. Al 

aaaaaah the good old days,,,hadda midland myself first radio,,,started road work in 76... i was only 20...bob

Ah, ya.  I grew up withrealistic Navaho 23 channel radio.  It was "turned up a bit" and worked well.  It finally died and I found a President Madison base to play with about 8 yrs ago.  I do have a Radio Shack Telephone style radio.  Bought it on Ebay for about $20 just because I always wanted one growing up. It works, all 23 channels LOL!!  I tried using it in the Mack but the static is too bad from the alternator so I took it out.  Just needs a filter, but I returned it to the attic for safe keeping.

My buddy growing up had a big base station, a set of Moonraker 4 beams and a Varmint 850 watt linear.  We talked all over the world(literally).  Good times back then.

Glenn, sounds like the days we had.  Big linears, talking all night.  CB radio fist fights.  The whole gammit.  We did have fun.  Always worried about the "man" showing up with his "sniffer" looking for linears.

Oh, the license sheet.  Yup, I was KBTM 4173.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My grandpa was a side-band guy. Big base unit & a big radio in his car. Would call home when he got off work at International Harvester to let grandma know to start dinner. KPK-1923.  I was in my teens and don't remember the whole story but the feds showed up at my grandparents one day with a warrant and confiscated all of his radios. He had retired many years before as the chief of the township volunteer fire dept but had always kept a couple scanners in the house & 1 in his car. They said the reason for the warrant was because of the scanner in his car but all of his radios were jacked up. He use to talk to guys all over the US.

My dad was KAVI-2955.

I had a lot of CB's through the years & still have many up in the attic and one in my truck & another in my motorhome.  The Sears Roadtalker's were popular for a while especially with side band guys who jacked them up a lot. I traded one of mine for a different model Roadtalker to one of my drivers who sent it to a buddy that wired up two rotating switches that allowed him to have channels in between each side band channel.