Mack twisted sister air suspension

The Hendrickson-sourced Mack MaxAir 40 four bag suspension was introduced a month before the U.S. Department of Justice agreed to hand over America's iconic Mack Trucks to Sweden's Volvo. As far as I'm concerned, the identifying name is MaxAir 40.

Related reading - http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/18742-maxlite-40-air-ride/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk Transporter / November 1, 2000

The new MaxAir Series of suspensions from Mack Trucks, Inc is now available on Vision by Mack and CH model tractors. Engineers from Mack and Hendrickson Suspension jointly developed the MaxAir suspension to improve comfort, durability and serviceability, while also reducing weight, life-cycle costs, and maintenance.

The first of the series is the 40,000-lb MaxAir 40, with a lighter aluminum version, the MaxAir 40A, scheduled for release by the end of 2000. MaxAir saves 72 pounds in the standard steel configuration, with another 40 pounds saved in the optional aluminum version.

Modern design techniques allowed engineers at Mack and Hendrickson to optimize size and location of key components, such as the use of large-volume air springs and inboard shocks.

Mack and Hendrickson torture-tested the MaxAir over thousands of miles, resulting in superior smoothness and handling for a Class 8 vehicle. The design team eliminated the need for retorquing clamp U-bolts by replacing the conventional clamped brackets with integrated axle brackets.

For full details, contact Mack, PO Box M, 2100 Mack Blvd, Allentown PA 18105-5000. (Don't bother.......Volvo shut its doors)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts List - http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=8ec0f3c4-b021-4226-95f1-1cfdca66ba70

Service Bulletin (adjustment) - http://hr.mckenzietank.com/maint/bulletins/16-sb136012.pdf

• Like 1

Looks close to Hendrikson of early 90's.

Different wendor?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Kscarbel, great info!

Just typed my previous post a couple of seconds before your documented answer.

Would also like the difference about ride feeling of that air suspension in relation to earlier Neway.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Kscarbel, great info!

Just typed my previous post a couple of seconds before your documented answer.

Would also like the difference about ride feeling of that air suspension in relation to earlier Neway.

The MaxAir 40 and 40A were only optional with ArvinMeritor and Eaton axles, something cheap the fleets wanted.

• Like 1

1280x720.jpg

Read my mind. :)

How many of the Maxi made it to MACKS? Never saw one of them, mostly all bagged were Neway around here.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

By the looks of it, I think the neway has a wider axle spread. Does that make it ride better? Possibly.

I have neway on a cabover Kenworth and considering how short it is it rides beautiful. I think the neway is better, my 0.02c.

• Like 2

By the looks of it, I think the neway has a wider axle spread. Does that make it ride better? Possibly.

I have neway on a cabover Kenworth and considering how short it is it rides beautiful. I think the neway is better, my 0.02c.

All my years around trucks, Neway seems to have the best ride quality. More maintenance with bushings, and some with 2 leveling valves.

My newest MH is Neway, can't wait to drive it. Never had a cabover with air ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All my years around trucks, Neway seems to have the best ride quality. More maintenance with bushings, and some with 2 leveling valves.

My newest MH is Neway, can't wait to drive it. Never had a cabover with air ride.

Does the MH have cab suspension?

Mine has the 2 levelling valves. I also have suspension pressure gauges in the cab, one for left and one for right. My left side pressure was a lot lower than the right, so I fixed that so its a tiny bit higher than the right (low side of the road - down under).

Also have to keep on shock absorbers on rear diff.

Does the MH have cab suspension?

Mine has the 2 levelling valves. I also have suspension pressure gauges in the cab, one for left and one for right. My left side pressure was a lot lower than the right, so I fixed that so its a tiny bit higher than the right (low side of the road - down under).

Also have to keep on shock absorbers on rear diff.

The MH has an air cab, also. But only one leveling valve on the axles. I recall the dual valves were tough to calibrate, for changing road conditions. Set it up for crown on a 2 lane, then the truck leans on a flat interstate. And no fun when a valve malfunctions, could topple the rig [emoji44]