Looked at a Dodge Today...

other dog

You better put your socks on and head over there. The best time to really check it over is if the engine is cold and you can see it start cold and warm up. I hate when I call about something and the guy goes out and starts it up or drives it before I get there, it seems like they are hiding something.

I have a Dodge in the garage right next to a Ranger, and they don't tell each other dirty secrets :lol:

• Like 1

Here's what I learned today-

I stopped by there on the way to Cumberland today- we had a family get together/cookout, Ma turned 81 last week- and left a note with my number on the truck. He called about 20 minutes later, and i'm going to go look at it tomorrow.

He said it was a '91 model, V6, fuel injected, 4 speed. He said it ran and drove fine but it didn't idle exactly right, it was surging-speeding up and slowing down, and him and his dad hadn't been able to figure out the problem. He said there was an issue with the parking brake and the wipers, that's why it didn't have a current inspection sticker. He also said it had 189,000 miles on the odometer and the odometer didn't work so there's no telling how many miles are on it.

I asked him if he would take 3,000 cash for it without seeing the engine or hearing it run but he said no, he just wanted to get his money back that he'd put into it and get something more practical and something he could get cheaper insurance on. I think he said he gave 33 for it and he put a new fuel pump on it. I noticed a new electric fuel pump and a new starter yesterday.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

They are hard to find in good shape. Short bed 4x4 is a great look and pretty sought after. What he paid is probably not relevant, but money talks when the conversation gets serious. The "little" stuff gets costly unless you're a DIY 're. If you want 4x4 transportation find a late 90's blazer w/ 4.3 in good shape. They're out there and don't go for much, cheap and easy to fix (disclaimer, I'm a GM & Mack only guy). If you want a project I wouldn't give up but he is stuck. The misc. stuff is going to cost him a few hundred and the surging thing probably not expensive for a DIY but a time consuming PITA to figure out and perhaps fix. If you want it make a fair offer cash and leave your number. But the guys are right, if you don't want a project I'd go for newer and more mainstream.

They are hard to find in good shape. Short bed 4x4 is a great look and pretty sought after. What he paid is probably not relevant, but money talks when the conversation gets serious. The "little" stuff gets costly unless you're a DIY 're. If you want 4x4 transportation find a late 90's blazer w/ 4.3 in good shape. They're out there and don't go for much, cheap and easy to fix (disclaimer, I'm a GM & Mack only guy). If you want a project I wouldn't give up but he is stuck. The misc. stuff is going to cost him a few hundred and the surging thing probably not expensive for a DIY but a time consuming PITA to figure out and perhaps fix. If you want it make a fair offer cash and leave your number. But the guys are right, if you don't want a project I'd go for newer and more mainstream.

He sounded like a young guy and he told me he was not mechanically inclined at all. All the things he mentioned didn't sound like a major problem to me, but i'll take a close look tomorrow. I did look at the front end, ball joints, u-joints, etc. yesterday and everything looked good- nothing loose or slack, and all 4 tires looked like they were wearing even.

I'd say it's worth a thousand with no motor- but he said it ran fine except for the rough idle. He even sounded honest- he told me about the rust spots that i'd already seen, and I didn't even ask him about rust. I'm supposed to meet him there after 12 tomorrow- he gets out of church at 12!

FYI Summit Racing catalog has a 408 stroker crate engine (375 hp/460 ft lbs) for $4300 ready to bolt in & play....intake, carb, and distributor included. That would take care of that little hesitation/stumbling problem, and you wouldn't have to worry about how many miles were on that V6 anymore.... :ninja:

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The "rough idle" could be a money pit. Could be something simple or complex especially with electronic and emissions controls. I am in agreement with Dirtymilkman....$1000, $1500 tops especially with 190K miles.

Hmmm...I wonder what my late dad's 1990 D150 2WD Club Cab with 360V8 and 35K original miles is worth???

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

That grill was from 91-93, Fuel injection started in 88 or 89 if I remember correctly. I've had three Ramchargers (1983, 1990, 1991) as well as an 86 Shortbed 4x4. The shortbed 4x4 is by far the hardest to find, especially without rust. Great motors, great trans, these things run forever. buy it and don't look back. You will be happy in the long run.

I suspect the step sides are the most difficult to find, the long bed step side being the rarest, and the 4x4 short bed stepside being the looker.

I'm partial to the 77 vintage grille (http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201208/dodge-ram-d-series-8_800x0w.jpg).

Of course a good condition WM300 is the real treasure (http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/28369218+w600+cr1/129_0207_18_z%2Btop_10_classic_4x4%2Bbig_classic_truck.jpg).

If the tans is a np435 it pretty much bullet proof same as the transfercase. Other then the clutch and the hydraulic clutch linkage that should all be fine. And like you see if the body is solid you can all way fix the mechanical things as you go along.

And I agree if you get to far in to the eng just swap a v8 the drive line can take it.

I spent $3500 on a 1990 GMC Suburban 2500 a year ago. It had sat for 9 years, but the body was immaculate and it ran great.

First thing I had to do was put an exhaust on the truck...previous owner had tried making a mud truck out of it....pulled the exhaust, put long tube headers on and quit. Needless to say, it was a LOUD drive home. Exhaust run me about $800 for all of the parts & pieces and I did it myself. It also got new tires right away...another $900. Front brakes were dragging....so it got new calipers and pads. Windshield wipers had a mind of their own, so a new switch was installed. Power steering leaked, so it got a new pump. Adjusted the drag link, since knucklehead didn't do that when he lifted it 4". 3 months later, the TH400 started spitting fluid up through the vent, and 3 days later it was toast....and so she sits.

I've got new springs to install....only +2" over stock height and springs all of the way around (instead of those silly blocks in the rear). The rear is also 1-ton springs instead of the stock 3/4 ton. In the next week or so, I'll be placing an order with LMC....u-bolts, shift indicator, park brake cables, and a few other odds and ends. Jegs and Summit will probably receive checks from me as well as the TH400 is coming out and a GM Performance Supermatic 4L85E is going in...which requires an electronic TCU to be spliced in, transmission mount cross member relocated, drive shaft lengths adjusted, new flexplate, torque converter, etc., etc., etc. Putting a high-capacity (+4 quart) pan on the new trans, as well as adding a temp gauge and new cooler and lines. I'm HOPING these changes will get it from the 9.25 mpg we saw on our trip last Christmas on the highway up to the neighborhood of 13 mpg. Eventually, I'll probably swap the 4.10 gears out for 3.73's and install some lockers or limited slip diffs to squeeze out a few more mpg's and make it a TRUE 4x4. Then there's the issue of the speedometer....everything else works, but the needle has a mind of its own. Right now, we just use a speedometer app on our phones...but I need to either find somewhere to repair the factory gauge cluster or replace it with a functioning one. then I can turn my attention to the power door locks and power windows, which don't really work all that well....new switches, regulators, motors, and actuators...and when everything else is done, I'll be swapping the rear side glass out for some sliding windows so that all 3 roas of seating will have windows that open. Once the new glass is in, a trip to the tint shop to get it all looking good and it SHOULD be done for a little while.....until I find something else to tweak.

Funny how quickly a $3,000 truck turns into a $15,000 truck. Sure, I COULD have bought a MUCH newer truck that already had the overdrive transmission and wouldn't have required as much work for that same $15,000.....but it wouldn't be NEARLY as cool to be seen in rolling through town. I like to stand out from the crowd....don't want to drive the same thing everybody else has or can get. I'd rather have the 1-of-a-kind truck that I couldn't sell for 1/4 of what I've got in it. I'm also glad the title is in my name only to be sure it doesn't go anywhere. Wife sold her dodge to her sister for less than it cost us to rebuild the transmission a year prior. Sure don't need to sink this kind of money into a vehicle only to have her trade it in for pennies on the dollar for some POS that looks just like every other POS on the road.

Project trucks are fun....as long as you've got the time & money to work on them.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I wouldn't pay more than $1500. V6 is a slug and it has issues. Just because he overpaid doesn't mean you have to.

I was just looking at a website that had the specs- I wasn't expecting a hotrod, but the 91 model V6 was rated at 125hp. It's only a 239 c.i. engine. They upped the hp to 180 for the '92 and '93 model.

Dodge V6 (3.9L) is the same basic engine as the V8 318 (5.2L). Same idea as the GM 4.3L V6 (same basic engine as 5.7L 350 V8). The first 3.9L engines were not a powerhouse (I don't think any were) and being a 4WD probably not too fuel efficient.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Dodge V6 (3.9L) is the same basic engine as the V8 318 (5.2L). Same idea as the GM 4.3L V6 (same basic engine as 5.7L 350 V8). The first 3.9L engines were not a powerhouse (I don't think any were) and being a 4WD probably not too fuel efficient.

He said it got a little under 20mpg, and it's got 33's on it too. They probably improve the mileage some, but kill the power even more.