B-73 Restoration

1 hour ago, MackLTH said:

Matt,

Could you tell me what kind of paint you used?

From the looks of the paint on the ground it must have got pretty misty in there!

Cheers,Pat

Yes,

PPG Concept DCC "Mack Fleet Red" Paint code # 75674

It's the first big job I've used it on. Previous projects I used Dupont Centari, which is no longer available. This was very easy to apply, with very good coverage. As for the overspray, I thought it was typical for the volume of paint I sprayed. It'll sweep up. I try to let everything lay, other than tape and paper, for 24 hours to cure. I leave my fans on for a few hours after I've finished painting. Probably had a little more on the floor as the cab sits pretty low to it. I just checked it now and it looks great after curing.

IMG_1671.jpg

Edited by mattb73lt
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

You should be very proud of your self and your achievements

Top job and I would be smiling like a Cheshire cat about now if I was you 

Paul 

I am. Hard to knock the smile off my face when I'm in the shop. It looks even better in person, the pictures only give it a little justice.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

Yes,

PPG Concept DCC "Mack Fleet Red" Paint code # 75674

It's the first big job I've used it on. Previous projects I used Dupont Centari, which is no longer available. This was very easy to apply, with very good coverage. As for the overspray, I thought it was typical for the volume of paint I sprayed. It'll sweep up. I try to let everything lay, other than tape and paper, for 24 hours to cure. I leave my fans on for a few hours after I've finished painting. Probably had a little more on the floor as the cab sits pretty low to it. I just checked it now and it looks great after curing.

IMG_1671.jpg

Matt,

Curious- education please...What does "American Lafrance" refer to???

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MackLTH said:

Perhaps American Lafrance used this red on their fire engines.

Thanks for the answer regarding the paint Matt.

Cheers,Pat

It's possible. I got that code from Matt Pfahl and the interior green code. It is a nice deep red, though.

Compliments for your passion, you are deservedly excited with the red paint after all your quality preparation, then fitting parts etc, when you fit your cab onto the chassis and bolt on the polished cast alloy radiator, that will pump the heart up.

Thank you for sharing your skills and progressive pictures 👏👏👏 

• Like 1

Drool to see :thumb:

My only worry isn't the paint still soft to put attachments on?

I prefere to wait at least a couple of weeks and better a couple of month (and a damn couple of years in many cases) besore to start bolting on. Difficult to resist playing the game and I try to find alternative tasks along the project.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 1 month later...

Keeping it organized is tough at times. Lots of pictures, notes, tagging and bagging the hardware helps. The down side is the length of time this truck has been apart and the fact that some of it had been removed or scrounged by the previous owner. At least it wasn’t vandalized.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Frames look new Matt-what did you do???

I used a propeller file to work the dings out, kind of like dressing a propeller on the back side. Then used a buffing wheel to smooth everything out and finally a bunch of elbow grease with aluminum polish to finish them up. They were pretty rough to start due to all the miles and sitting outside. They did clean up nice, though.

• Like 2