B-73 Restoration

2 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Well, it made it's first outing to the Western Mass ATCA show at Yankee Candle in Deerfield. It was a mostly dry ride up and I stayed until about 12:30 when it was a more steady rain. Ran into several people I know but haven't seen it a long time. Some others I only know from social media I met for the first time. That's always odd to me that some one who looks like a total stranger knows a lot about you and your truck. I guess that's how we'll meet some people in the current times. Anyway, a really good time talking about the truck and how I found it and what I did to it  to bring it back. It ran great, up and back. Found it's sweet spot on the highway is about 1700 and 70 MPH. I did run a little faster, here and there, to try it out and although it'll certainly go much faster, 1950 is as fast as turned  it and saw 78 as the fastest speed. Granted, I was empty and just wanted to test it out and get a better feel for it. I did run up a on a few trucks headed to the show that got on just ahead of me. I figured I would run with them as we were getting close to the exit for the show. Then I found the opposite end of my cruise spectrum. They were running about 60ish when they got up to speed and I found that I'd need to drop a gear to stay with them. After trying that out for a bit I headed on and chugged by them. We got to the show about 5 minutes apart. So a few more things learned about the new toy. Overall, a good day with a lot of great conversations! If it was 24 hours earlier, it would of been perfect with yesterday's weather.

FBE69F7F-24FE-46A2-AF26-F60011108EB1_1_105_c.jpeg

Flanked by a couple Autocars no less.  All Pennsylvania's finest.

• Like 1

Autocar's were never a very common brand in Australia, used primarily as really heavy duty type of truck, road trains and heavy haulage 

Sounds like it's going like a rocket Matt 

Dunno what the speed limit is in the U.S. but you would do your ticket in Australia at 78 MPH 

Enjoy 

Paul 

• Like 1

Excellent ….rain,,,,, gods gift. Not much we can do but ,,,doesn’t help all your time consuming detailing .. 1900rpm sounds perfect. I would not go much more than that either…. Bob

• Like 1

Great first outing.

You get used to the "they know me" syndrome.  With my near 30 yrs racing the wagon.....everyone knows me. ;)

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I talked to a guy about 20 years ago from Canada. He was in Reno with this gorgeous B  model same condition as yours absolutely immaculate he was telling me he just thinks it’s gonna rain in the next week. He doesn’t take it out. I did not blame him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Nothing a little soap, water and elbow grease can't fix. I will say that cab is very dry, warm and tight in crappy weather. My home built electric wiper system was a complete home run! The intermittent feature was great in the mist and drizzle and I never needed to go to fast mode. They kept the visibility excellent the whole time I needed them.

Matt have you noticed the benefit of the Lizard skin, sound etc?

4 hours ago, harrybarbon said:

Matt have you noticed the benefit of the Lizard skin, sound etc?

Yes, quite a bit of noise reduction and no drumming of the panels. The issue of noise is solely from the exhaust. When I’m coasting around or with not much of my foot in it, it’s very quiet. I’m probably going to fit a under frame muffler or resonator to it eventually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattb73lt said:

Hey, it's famous!! That guy didn't talk to me though.

I'll point Mike in your direction next time l see him! lol    .....Hippy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Yes, quite a bit of noise reduction and no drumming of the panels. The issue of noise is solely from the exhaust. When I’m coasting around or with not much of my foot in it, it’s very quiet. I’m probably going to fit a under frame muffler or resonator to it eventually.

Maybe check out this bloked video

Not a truck but shows how to get rid of the drone etc, without reducing the awsome noise

Yeah it's a car but the same principles apply I reckon

Paul

When I hung new doors on my truck I put a sheet of Dynamat on them.  Wow...no more tinny ring when shutting the doors. Just a nice thump.  I did the floor and the firewall when installing the 237.  The short stacks bring more noise in the cab.  I have thoughts of making extensions to install once out of the garage to quiet it down inside(and keep soot off the trailer).  I don't want to see a band clamp on the stack but I really need to look into it.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 5/7/2024 at 5:14 PM, mattb73lt said:

Nothing a little soap, water and elbow grease can't fix. I will say that cab is very dry, warm and tight in crappy weather. My home built electric wiper system was a complete home run! The intermittent feature was great in the mist and drizzle and I never needed to go to fast mode. They kept the visibility excellent the whole time I needed them.

I remember you bringing up the windshield wipers on one post I was wondering did you go to electric reason I asked I had a 49 Ford years ago and I did something with the windshield wiper motor. I think I took one out of a 55 Chevy and I was able to adapt it very little Modification … bob