Ford Everest

kscarbel2

Ford introduces all-new mid-size Everest SUV

November 13, 2014

The new 2015 Ford Everest is based on a stretched version of the popular global market Ford Ranger pickup truck.

The Everest is available with a range of engines including a gasoline 2.0-liter EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder, and two Duratorq turbodiesels – a 2.2-liter four-cylinder and a 3.2-liter inline five-cylinder – mated to a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. Both rear-wheel-drive and shift-on-the-fly four-wheel-drive variants are offered.

The Ford Everest competes with Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (known as the Lexus GX in the US market) and the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

With its body-on-frame construction, the new Everest offers rock-crawlers serious off-road capabilities.

The Everest has nearly nine inches of ground clearance, over 30 inches of wading depth, a 29-degree approach and 25-degree departure angles.

The seven seat cabin features flat-folding second and third rows, a Sync 2 infotainment system with an 8-inch touchscreen, active noise control, an optional moonroof and the full spectrum of electronic safety features including autonomous emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure and lane-keeping systems.

There is an internal argument at Ford over whether or not to sell the Everest in America. The Everest’s body-on-frame construction, like Toyota’s 4Runner, is clearly different from Ford’s similarly sized soft off-roaders, the Flex and Explorer, which share Ford's D4 unibody platform. Only the larger Expedition offers body-on-frame construction (the older-than-dirt Expedition's V-8 is replaced by a V-6 EcoBoost for 2015, and receives minor trim changes).

post-16320-0-95752600-1415950541_thumb.j

post-16320-0-65966900-1415950590_thumb.j

post-16320-0-51698600-1415950600_thumb.j

post-16320-0-47682100-1415950613_thumb.j

I've always preferred an actual frame under the body of a vehicle...Explorers USED to be that way, but haven't really followed their evolution through the years. If they are in fact unibody, that would explain why U-Haul WILL NOT rent you a trailer of ANY size to pull behind them...that and the firestone/blowout/rollover issue several years back.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

2010 was last year of BOF Explorers. I do believe you can now rent from U-haul with an Explorer and I think that entire issue was just related to the Firestone issue. My wife has had three Explorers and last year her last one (2004) was pushing 100,000. She does not like new ones as she claims she can't see out the back blah blah. She wanted a Pilot which I said was not going to happen so I went on Autotrader.com and found a 2010 Limited Ford Certified Pre Owned with 27,000 miles. 3V 4.6 v-8, 6 speed. Great vehicle Can't beat the CPO deal-100,000 mile power train warranty etc.

As for the Everest, looks like a great vehicle with great power train options-but I bet we never see it here. Same deal as the Ranger-anything that will take away from existing Ford vehicle sales has a snow ball's chance in hell of getting here.

• Like 1

The all-new in 2011 Ford global market ranger is superb. It's a cutting edge design from bumper to bumper.

Ford's thought process that the Ranger would steal market share from the F-150 isn't just flawed, it is absurd. The Ranger and F-150 would have uniquely different US market customers.

Better looking than today's Grand Cherokee (and without the ridiculous price tag), the Ford Everest would sell well in the US market.

I have a 94 ranger with about 180 on the clock and it is still going strong. It is the perfect size vehicle for what I use it for.

I wish that ford would sell the 4 door ranger in the US.

A few years ago I saw a V8 powered one on the freeway and a week later my commercial dealer called me to ask if we were looking for any vehicles and I told him to find me one, but he could not.

Sad

Agree on the Ranger-I have an 04 FX-4. The 4.0 V-6 is a bit of a gas hog but guess what- I like the size. When people say-"well a 150 gets better gas mileage", I say..."but I don't want a truck that size" . Then they talk about a new replacement built on a Transit Connect. And I say..."check out attached-am I going to put two calcium loaded "44's" in the back of a Transit Connect? Not with a sense of comfort.

And the argument will always be that the small truck market is just too small to be profitable. I'm sure Toyota is thrilled that Ford has left the market to them. And the anti Ranger crowd will be watching the success/failure of the new GM small trucks to prove/disprove their point.

Oh and as to the argument that a 150 gets better gas mileage, just think what Ranger mpg numbers would have been with a modern engine such as the 3.5 V-6 or a 2.0 Ecoboost.

post-1625-0-07481100-1416156638_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I've got an '86 Ranger (4-banger/5-speed) that was driven hard & put away wet for nearly 20 years. Cracked the head pulling a trailer that weighed more EMPTY than that little truck was rated to pull loaded...and I had it LO-HO-HO-HOADED! 4 trips between the house I was renting and a storage unit while I was shopping for this house. Kept running it 'til I decided to change the head gasket (thought that was the problem) and found the crack when I pulled the head. Never did get around to putting it back together...have a 289 from a '66 Mustang I'd like to squeeze in there. I've also got a '92 Ranger (177ci V6/5-speed) that I drive like I stole it. STILL gets 25mpg on a bad day. Usually I tool around in the '96 F250 (460ci V8/5-speed) just because I can. Big enough to tow anything (even though I've never been scared to do it in either Ranger) and that '86 has probably carried more "heavy" loads in the bed than the F250. That isn't saying I haven't hauled loads in the F250...just that we (my dad owned the '86 before I did) used to get pretty stupid with it. As long as the bed could still hold more and the bumper wasn't digging into the ground (dragging was OK) we'd keep loading it. Then I put heavier springs on it...and some over-shock helpers...and some more helpers between the frame & axle. That "little" truck had more than 4000# of spring under the rear by the time I cracked the head.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The new Colorado and Canyon are attractive trucks. But fuel economy is mediocre and the promised diesel engine option remains elusive. Most of all, its hard to buy a GM product. GM remains focused on cutting costs to survive, equating to the cheapest possible parts. And at the end of the day, Fords continue to display greater durability, and thus greater resale value.

I have an '07 Ranger XLT 4x4. I've heard the same arguments, "an F-150 costs the same, mileage the same", etc. but I don't need a 150, the Ranger is perfect for me. I'll keep mine hoping against hope

that Ford brings back the Ranger. I had a 150, it was nice but I don't need a big truck. I saw the new four door Ranger in St Maarten a couple of years ago; that's what I want. Of course, with my luck,

as soon as I have to buy something else, Ford will bring back the Ranger the following year.

Toyota is thrilled that Ranger is gone, I've seen their TV commercials for Tacoma that show the Ranger and Dodge Dakota vanishing from the scene. Last Sunday's (11/16) "Boston Globe" had an

article about the new Canyon/Colorado trucks. It stated that they are more mid-size, not small trucks, more like smaller versions of the Sierra/C1500.

bulldogboy

Tested in Arizona, USA............but you can't buy one. Ford has all the business they need?

Based on appearance, functionality and specs, the 2015 Ford Everest is a truck that I would buy (with one of the two offered diesels). I wouldn't even consider the current Explorer.

And yes, Toyota is thrilled that the Ranger is gone.

I don't know much about the Explorer but it appears that police departments like the Explorer "Police Interceptor". Many departments around here, including some who were big Chevrolet

users, have switched to the "EPIs". The Taurus "Police interceptor" seems to be popular, also. New Hampshire State Police are big users of Dodge Chargers but I read a recent article

that they may be looking at a different vehicle for use in the vast, rural, northern part of the state. The article didn't specify what model they are looking at.

bulldogboy

I don't know much about the Explorer but it appears that police departments like the Explorer "Police Interceptor". Many departments around here, including some who were big Chevrolet

users, have switched to the "EPIs". The Taurus "Police interceptor" seems to be popular, also. New Hampshire State Police are big users of Dodge Chargers but I read a recent article

that they may be looking at a different vehicle for use in the vast, rural, northern part of the state. The article didn't specify what model they are looking at.

bulldogboy

The Explorer PI is now outselling the Taurus PI almost 2 to 1. With all the stuff these guys carry today, not surprising. As for the Charger, unless they have made huge changes, everything I have read/heard says they have very high maintenance costs. BUT they are fast! Then again, how fast is fast enough. As someone said-nothing outruns a Motorola!

Nothing will probably compare with Crown Vics in terms of durability and low operating costs. And nice thing about CV's, once they were turned in, a quick paint job and they were back on road as cabs for another 100,000 or so miles.

• 7 months later...

The New Ford Everest: Engineered for Extraordinary

Ford Press Release / July 15, 2015

The new Ford Everest is exceptionally versatile, equally at home in busy urban traffic and the most extreme off-road terrain.

A bold exterior and spacious, modern interior complement advanced technologies that make it one of the smartest SUVs in its segment.

Related reading:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/39398-2015-ford-everest-global-debut/?hl=everest

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/39373-ford-everest-taming-the-terrain/?hl=everest

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/37730-ford-introduces-all-new-mid-size-everest-suv/?hl=everest

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, the conservatives and religious fanatics can be more of a problem. It'd be easy to adapt this ad for the U.S., but the dumb tea baggers here think they need an F150 at least for that kind of rural driving. Given that F150s make more money than compact Utes, Ford is not about to enlighten them. A lot of other ads don't run in the U.S. simply because our market is so unsophisticated... For example the ad Ford ran of a Muslim woman wearing a hijab driving her Ford Cargo from her farm to market. I think it was a great ad because it destroyed stereotypes held by both conservative Christians and Muslims and promoted tolerance. But Ford never showed that ad in the U.S. probably because American conservatives would object to having a Muslim wearing a hijab in the ad, and after being targeted by Muslim extremists for showing a woman working outside the home it looks like Ford pulled the ad off the internet.

• 2 weeks later...