Pressure Washers

farmer52

I am considering the purchase of a gas powered cold water pressure washer to use for mostly washing vehicles (cars, trucks, and tractors). Looking at around 2800psi and 2.5gpm. Vertical or horizontal shaft engine? Harbor Freight has a couple models for $276. Generac offers a few in the $299-$399 range. Looked at Lowes and Home De Pot. Any suggestions and features? Or just use the manual method - bucket, long handled brush, and hose?

$400 / $65 = 6+ washes at Blue Beacon and its paid.

P.S. Got the raspberries from the local JD dealer when I recently traded my X540 for a new X590. X540 was not washed since new in 2012. And the MH, I take it to the hand wash spot to hose off the big chunks otherwise spray bottle of cleaner and towels. Trailer...nada.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I have a buddies little electic upright power washer. Does okay, but dies after a short time and you have to let it cool and refresh itself. Good for maybe a few pieces of lawn furniture at best.

Neighbor has a small gas powered version, seems to do okay for what he cleans up. I've really wanted a hot water version to really clean things up on the Mack. We have a big blue steam jenny at work , but the pump is about shot and it barely drizzles water out anymore. Been trying to get it fixed so I can use it the shop can clean stuff up.

I still just use water hose and car wash soap to generally clean it. I have one of those self wringing(folding) mops I use on the trailer. Makes short work of it. 2 x 40ft is a LOT of surface to clean.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Inclined to buy the Harbor Freight 2500psi/3gpm Model 69734 for $280. It has adjustable pressure, 212cc engine, and stainless plungers. It is likely made in Chiner but the reviews are good. I know you get what you pay for. Second choice is Generac 2800psi/2.5gpm Model 6596 at Lowes for $299 (196cc engine, adj. press??).

Hot water would be ideal for caked dirt and grease but they are very expensive.

Looked at rental...$53 for 4 hours or $100 a day. Couple rentals will pay for a washer.

Comments?

Ken

genco...I like the idea of idle when not engaged. What brand and model? How long have you owned/used it? Any issues? What is the difference in Honda GCV, GC, and GX engines? Ryobi advertises "idle-down technology".

Ken

I have a 2800 psi i think with a copy cat Honda only use for the heavy stuff on frame witch is only couple times a year. Usually just hand wash

Wife likes to use it on house and side walks. Came with 4 or 5 different tips she got it for my Birthday couple years ago , she said she got from FingerHut , If you have that where you live

I just bought a gas 9hp Karcher, used from a friend for $250. So far I love it. It sells for about $1,100 new and it is in good shape.

I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. Its 3100psi and 3.1gpm. No heat which is why my friend was getting rid of it as he bought

a new one with heat. Used it three times and it has worked great. Much better than pumping quarters into the machine at the car/truck wash.

I SECOND THE HONDA ENGINE REST OF THEM ONLY RUN 4-5 TIMES THEN FALL APART

ditto!! Mines 6 years old and runs like new still.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ken

My buddy is a painter and always gets horizontal shaft pumps, I used one last weekend for the deck and patio with 3000 PSI, and has a option to pull in chemicals into the flow, He uses bleach which really cleans up on house work but for degreasing the firetrucks we use a biodegradable degreaser from ardex called new wave that would be great to clean up the rear end and around the fifth wheel in the MH.

Good Luck and happy power washing!

Firemack

I have been using a Honda powered horizontal shaft driving a Comet brand pump. I want to say it is a Honda GX160 engine. Very worth the $800+ I paid for it back around 2001. I personally prefer more GPM than an overly rated PSI. I want to say it was only rated at 1800 psi but it works way better than the cheap 2500 psi Cambell Hausefeilds I was buying every 6 months before the Honda/Comet. My father and I have used it a lot over the last 14 or so years. Like most tools you get what you pay for. If you plan on only using it a couple time a year go cheap. But if you plan on using it regularly and can afford to buy a good quality one than save yourself the headache. But that is just me I like quality tools that last for a long time. I am still pushing the same Toro lawnmower around since 1990.

My vote is for Simpson brand from lowes.

Specifically model # ALH3225 3200 psi, kolher engine and heavy duty pump.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_516791-93684-ALH3225_1z0wgc3Z1z10wteZ2z8vq__?productId=50119895&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1

From others I have used in the past the more pressure the better it cleans.

For the price increase over a harbor freight version it is worth it, you get what you pay for.

879399001321lg.jpg

Edited by 68-f-model

VP Racing makes small engine fuel in up to 5 gallon cans under the label SEF94 small engine fuel 94 octane.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We bought one from Northern Tool (now Northern), about 25 years ago or so to do a job cleaning up a railroad station before hanging some new steel and painting. We use it regularly, and it still works great. It has a Honda engine. Buy the good stuff. Price is long forgotten when you buy quality.

• Like 1