new shop challanges

gearhead204

Yardo Covington Twp. where my buildings are are pretty strict with codes. I do not remember the Statewide Code they go by but they do go by it with vigor.The holes they dug for poles were over 3' as frost line is a bit more here. They were not shoddy by any means. When I put my Metal framed building up they made me dig down 6' or 8' to pour concrete.It was a bit of overkill but that was the rule. Same with snowload. All buildings plans must be approved by Township Engineer or Architect.If you do not go by the rules they will put manners on you. Joe D.

Yardo Covington Twp. where my buildings are are pretty strict with codes. I do not remember the Statewide Code they go by but they do go by it with vigor.The holes they dug for poles were over 3' as frost line is a bit more here. They were not shoddy by any means. When I put my Metal framed building up they made me dig down 6' or 8' to pour concrete.It was a bit of overkill but that was the rule. Same with snowload. All buildings plans must be approved by Township Engineer or Architect.If you do not go by the rules they will put manners on you. Joe D.

If you are in Pa, they follow Act 45 (The Pa Uniform Construction Code) which basically adopts the International Code Council series of building codes.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

this was a engineered build. the county said any thing over 15'11" must be engenered. but a machine shed falls into the ag, exempt category so after paying 500.00 bucks for the engineer to say my idea was plenty strong, I decided it would be a machine shed , no building permit or inspections. as far as the Dry sprinkler system I have installed several and if the insurance co. makes it worth my while I could consider it. i'm lucky enough to have enough water supply (1000 gpm spring) but would need to add a booster pump.

as for the runway too many power lines next to the shop.............helipad .......hummmm?

ants.......don't have to worry about no stinking ants. the posts are 8x8's and set in 4.5 sack mix 30 inches deep with another 18" to go on top plus rebar thru the posts, (my thickened edge will tie into the existing postcrete.) plus the leanto's will take any "rack" out of the building. I also went 15lbs. heaver in snow load on the trusses than what is required for this area. steel would have been nice but the electric wiring cost go up a bunch (all in conduit) by code. wood frame\pole can be done in romex.

attached is a photo of the shop I built at my place in Moses lake it was a 36x40x16 built the about the same using 6x8 posts and in a high wind load area. ( several times I thought the 14x16 door was going to blow in) it sits on a ridge top , with zero protection. the new one is a lot better off that way! just as long as we get it finished before it gets put to the test!

post-15818-0-15974900-1419478781_thumb.j

• Like 2

That's awesome, I'm glad somebody can get that done and have room for their toys. As for rock....quit crying, here in TN I can't dig em up, it's all rock. I have a foot or two of dirt in the good spots but its solid rock all the way across if you start digging.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That's awesome, I'm glad somebody can get that done and have room for their toys. As for rock....quit crying, here in TN I can't dig em up, it's all rock. I have a foot or two of dirt in the good spots but its solid rock all the way across if you start digging.

You can dig it up if you have enough of them there trinitrotoluene shovels.......just sayin......

• Like 3

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

thanks for the replys about ants wasnt trying to nitpick just wondering top job there :twothumbsup:

Paul

and by the way white ants out here are pretty tough they eat treated power poles ect they even eat cement when we build new houses out here we treat the ground around the house before the slab is built they bury a soaker hose around the outside that they can force some type of poison down every few years they are a big problem in Australia they eat tyres on old gear lying around there tough little fu$$ers thats for sure

Paul

• Like 2

You can dig it up if you have enough of them there trinitrotoluene shovels.......just sayin......

well you know if I had a rock drill, an account with hermitage explosives or my own license and several thousand dollars I guess I could........uh no!
  • Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

An a titanium Hammer

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

thanks for the replys about ants wasnt trying to nitpick just wondering top job there :twothumbsup:

Paul

and by the way white ants out here are pretty tough they eat treated power poles ect they even eat cement when we build new houses out here we treat the ground around the house before the slab is built they bury a soaker hose around the outside that they can force some type of poison down every few years they are a big problem in Australia they eat tyres on old gear lying around there tough little fu$$ers thats for sure

Paul

One more thing to add to the list.

poisonous snakes

poisonous spiders

man-eatin' crockerdiles

tire eatin' ants

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

How do blokes work in that cold brrrrrr I remember working on construction in Melbourne I worked on lifts or elevators as you call them over there and we were putting lifts in anyway there is no lift doors on the lift shaft so its like a big chimney freezing cold hands sticking to anything steel we had to be big girly men and were gloves no one in Australia wear's gloves anyway one of the fitters he is doing up a rail clamp and the spanner breaks and gives him this black eye and the spanner is stuck to his black eye so we go down to the smoko shed and pour warm water over his face and spanner to get them to release thats the coldest I have ever worked in brrr

looks like that shed is coming along great

Paul

I realize that story is most likely pretty lame buy everyones standards over in there but or climate is no were near that cold in this wide brown land

• Like 1

Paul: today was actually quite nice for January here, midday was 37F so the snow was melting and no wind, I would rather had 28f and sunny but low clouds hung out most of the day. If the humidity don't get to high its not bad but high humidity and 10+mph winds make for a cold day.

Well making a little more progress ! had to use the boom truck to "nudge" the building into "square" but we got it!

I think you need otherdog to photoshop in some safety harnesses and lines.. lol

Looks good. I find it interesting that your sheeting with plywood. Will you put steel on top of that? A pole barn built here would't have anything between the steel and the wood frame. Your shop will be as solid as a brick shit house.

Keith

• Like 1

Keith