Chain Drive

Thanks for that. I really wanna poke around one someday.....old technology is so much cooler than modern crap! :)

I agree. The mechanical evolution of the motor truck has happened at warp speed, relatively speaking. We've gone from Daimler then to what we have today in the space of 118 years. Then there's the evolution of body and aerodynamic design, fuel and lubricant formulation, tires, electronics......... all in a nanosecond.

How can you futz up diagnosing and fixing a chain and sprocket?

At the speeds they reached back then I do not think liquid sloshing around was a big problem, Although stopping them would have been with brake system Paul described going down some grades. Its amazing they ran triples somewhere back then and they are still not allowed in Penna.or most Eastern States. It took us until the 1980'S to get doubles. Joe D.

America at it's best! We went from Earth bound to the Moon in less than ten years.

All my AC's have internal expanding service brakes at the rear wheels via foot pedal; and mechanical linkage and some have Bendix assist. The auxiliary brakes are external contracting at the drive sprockets via hand lever. Paul

humbleoil_zpsb15dd6c9.jpg

Ah.....internal "drum" service brakes, band hand brakes....see! That's why I need to see one in person!!

*edit* are the service brakes on the hubs or the sprockets?

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Ah.....internal "drum" service brakes, band hand brakes....see! That's why I need to see one in person!!

*edit* are the service brakes on the hubs or the sprockets?

Somewhere, in a barn near you. The WWI and WW II scrap drives didn't get them all. Where are the rest of them? :huh:

I remember reading that the service brakes were on the small drive sprockets and the parking/hand brake was on the axle drums. There was a comment that the drivers were more apt to use the hand brake. The reason for that was if there was more slack in one chain than the other it could lead to an uneven initial application to the rear wheels. The hand brake could be adjusted to give a more consistent brake action taking the chains out of the equation.

Back in the day when there were fewer flip flop drivers.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the processor taking apart a 1924, see more pics in the gallery if you're interested. I'm pretty sure the AK's had front brakes - they were very similar sheet metal but a six cylinder, electric starters, etc.The brakes are simple and probably effective, it's a monster band around the drive sprockets and large brakes in the wheels, but all lever/rod activated. The tranny and crankcase and other parts are very high quality castings. The hardware is so well made most parts come apart with surprising ease. They were produced for about twenty years, ahead of their time and very heavy duty compared to most of the other trucks of the day. As for sheet metal, the hood on the truck above looks amazing - it is a complex design with many angles in the metal.. That truck is really nice!

• Like 1

Front brakes appeared as an option in around 1920 on the 5 and 7 1/2 toners and standard on all after 1938 with the Bendix Vacuum Assist System. the front brakes were cable operated. My 1933 ,'34 and '35 have 4 wheel brakes the 1929 had them at one time and my 1928 never had them. The internal brake drum is behind the wheels on the Big Sprocket end.

From my catalogs

Paul, I can't tell you how much appreciate your catalogs and posts. Lots of fun and educational reading! And, of course, the all-important pictures. :)