MACK NO Brush Buster

41chevy

Man that NO still has the vines from D-Day still attached. How incredible to be all original after all these 70 years.

Thanks Paul

mike

I wish!! This is a purpose built forest fire rig probably built in the early 50's. The heavy "bump bar" it a New England thing, for literally pushing trees over. Ours are ex military M-35 and still a few GMC CCKW's. Most departments are going to Ford and Dodge Stump Jumpers. Fire-Matic builds most here on L.I.

'

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It absolutely looks like a cape Cod/South Shore brush breaker. I don't recall seeing it when it was in service, but "bulldogboy" knows a lot more about the Macks in Ma. than I can recall. Lets see if he chimes in.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Those beasts are rare.

About 2000 were built in 42-45.

Looks like some one went home with that one some time after D-day.

Thank you for posting Paul, interesting to see.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

It absolutely looks like a cape Cod/South Shore brush breaker. I don't recall seeing it when it was in service, but "bulldogboy" knows a lot more about the Macks in Ma. than I can recall. Lets see if he chimes in.

I went through the Cape Cod F.D. sight quickly and found what looks like it in the 1957 BB Sandwich fire in the far right. I sent an Email but no response yet . Any info appreciated. Paul

post-3242-0-69019000-1403559156_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Would that have been a 707 powered unit? What would the drive line have been exactly? Was it permantly in all wheel drive? Was there a high/low range transfer case with maybe a five speed? I've not seen any literature on the NO other than what is in the Mack sanctioned picture book. The photo where it halls a large gun and sits next to a jeep with a mortar is cool...it looks massive as hell.

There is a very interesting paperback book in the "Images of America " series titled, "Cape Cod Firefighting" by Britton W. Crosby. Mr. Crosby also created the "CapeCodfd.com website.

This book has many old photos of the fires, apparatus, and firefighters of Cape Cod. There is one chapter, "Forest Fires", that has photos of many of the brushbreakers that served fire

departments on Cape Cod. Many of them were built on Ford or International chassis. The Mack "NO" does not show up in any photos. If it did serve on Cape Cod my first thought would be

either Camp Edwards, an Army base, or its neighbor, Otis Air Force Base. In the book there is a photo of the Otis crash station in the 1950s; one of the vehicles is a 1944 Diamond T

brushbreaker.

Due to more modern fire apparatus, communications, fulltime firefighters, and a larger population, Cape Cod does not suffer the severe forest fires that once ravaged the landscape.

However, due to large amounts of forests and National Park lands, the potential still exists on the Cape and the nearby islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard for forest fires to

ignite. Brushbreakers are still important pieces of apparatus in the arsenal.

I just returned from a vacation on Cape Cod; didn't see any forest fires or brushbreakers. I hope that 41chevy gets a reply from Mr. Crosby, it would be nice to know where the "NO" served.

bulldogboy

Would that have been a 707 powered unit? What would the drive line have been exactly? Was it permantly in all wheel drive? Was there a high/low range transfer case with maybe a five speed? I've not seen any literature on the NO other than what is in the Mack sanctioned picture book. The photo where it halls a large gun and sits next to a jeep with a mortar is cool...it looks massive as hell.

There are apparently 3 versions of the NO. A 1940 version a 1942 /43 version and a 1943 to 1945 version, I think since the specs are very close it is just three different contracts-purchase orders.

Power was a military spec EY 707 over head valve gas engine 170 b.h.p. , MACK 5 speed with 5th gear direct, hi and low range transfer case, MACK CR38 and CR39 rear axles with a ratio of 9:02. Front was a FA49 elevated axle ( no ball joints it had a bevel gear drive instead). Borg Warner air brakes, with an electric trailer brake. 160 gallon fuel tank. 2053 built. GVW was a bit over 44,000 lbs. After WWII most if not all in Europe were rebuilt by Corbitt and given to Allies in NATO. According to my info what was in production here when Germany surrendered were finished and put in reserve. Later given to Civil Defense units and a few lucky municipalities. Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Another possibility would be the State Division of Forestry. They maintained a pretty substantial fleet of brush equipment at one time.

There is a video of the Sandwich fire that occurred in the late forties I'll look over to see if it turns up. It was one of the fires that burned very large areas on the upper Cape. It is on you tube under the title "Cape Cod Brush Fire - 1946"

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Haven't found info on the fire truck but found 2 very very expensive NO G-532 artillery hauler in Akron, Ohio. Classed as lifetime resto projects. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Akron, OH? Must be Sam Winer.

http://www.samwinermotors.com/

Yep He's got two 85% complete and one 50% complete and 4 sets of front and rear axles. Only an arm, leg and first born for any of them. :)

post-3242-0-60525700-1403797687.jpg

post-3242-0-61424100-1403797693.jpg

post-3242-0-02450200-1403797705.jpg

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

Forsyths is interesting with the second bumper flipped over. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Any idea where the original picture was taken?

Brush breaker type trucks were also used in the NJ Pine Barrens area. Could be from that area.

Any idea where the original picture was taken?

Brush breaker type trucks were also used in the NJ Pine Barrens area. Could be from that area.

The man I ended up talking to was in Fort Dodge, Iowa. He said the truck came from the Eastern seaboard "some where". We are negotiating a price for it now.

I found from talking with Fire-Matic that Indiana also used Brush Breakers. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hopefully it will soon be in my property in Virginia. I made an offer and now it's his turn. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE