56 mack in the weeds single screw dump

I need to go look at this in the next few days, the description sounds like a L series (I hope) a guy I went to school with has it and he's not a mechanic has it and was using it till rear end failed? pto still works but no move. what do I need to look for on the L series that is common to them? thanks in advance g.h.

ok smart phone has whooped my needle brain cant get pics to post the id tag says A54S 1620 truck has dents and dings but no bad damage. Gas pot 6cyl. main and aux trans. didn't play with to count gears, but levers move, bad news is rear axles pulled.air brake single screw rear double frame both frame and cab good as far as rust just a little in the floor.

• Like 1

well before rattle snake season gets into full swing I guess I had better go get this thing. besides the battery box cover the other thing I saw was missing was the bull dog, oh well I guess trucks 5 miles from home wont always be perfect !

• Like 1

A friend of mine has a Mack A-54 trans in his is a Du-plex. I cannot remember engine size. Is your trans one box or 2 (divorced) ? If split boxes it could have a 3 way auxiliary.Tin looks good on yours.Pretty sure A-54 was the heaviest gas job. A-55 was biggest diesel powered either 672 Mack or Cummins 672.Good luck. Joe D.

• Like 1

Joe: the aux is divorced and either a 3 or 4 speed aux.

Mike: how many A54 do you have, and do you have a battery compartment cover that can be copied? and yes its a big gas pot all I found was a thermodyne tag on the valve cover. mustta been a fuel hog it looks like it had 3 tanks 2 saddle mount 1 cab

Joe: the aux is divorced and either a 3 or 4 speed aux.

Mike: how many A54 do you have, and do you have a battery compartment cover that can be copied? and yes its a big gas pot all I found was a thermodyne tag on the valve cover. mustta been a fuel hog it looks like it had 3 tanks 2 saddle mount 1 cab

I have 4 of them,might even have a spare battery cover.

• Like 2

I would think the aux. trans is a 3 speed not a 4 speed unless changed by previous owner. I had a spec sheet for a Mack A-51 and it was offered with a du-plex,mono shift or 5X3 main and 3 speed Brown Lipe or Spicer aux. This is not saying other trans. were not avaible just spec. sheet I had. There was a man in Penna. that had some A-Model parts I do not know if he still deals with it. His name is John Chalmers. It looks to me as A-Model Macks are getting some interest after all these years. From your picture the tin looks great after sitting out all those years.In Pa. it would have quite a bit of rust and bullet holes from target practice.Good Luck on the save. Joe D.

Mike: might have to take you up on the batt. cover will get in touch once I get this thing home, might have to add to the shopping list. Just thinking about other old trucks and don't ever remember other single screw trucks with a factory double frame. was this a common mack thing? Mike also do you know the starting serial number was for the A series or were they by year ? this one is 1620 and does the S stand single axle ? again thanks for all the help guys!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...