Mack Powerliner! It just sounds cool:)

r686st

My uncle drove a Powerliner with the standard NTA-400 in it. I really don't like using a competitors name but they already did that with the Titan (Chevy)!! Like it or not!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Indeed White-Freightliner marketed the "Powerliner" in 74/75 I believe,they were available with all the big power (for the day) 3408 Cat,KT-series Cummins,and the V-12 green leaker. My Dad looked at a new one around 75 I think with a KT-600 Cummins in it,but it was pretty pricey even by 1975 standards!................................Mark

post-5836-0-13734900-1395878602.jpg

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The one my uncle drove was a '77 if I recall,Mark.Had to be about the end of the line for them. I know of one in a collection that has an 8V-92 in it.After a while,they offered the big motors in a standard FLT. So who needed the FLP with it's taller windshields and oddball front end cab parts,not mention that bumper,yikes! They are cool to see at a show,though! Waylon Dorner sure had a nice one at South Bend,In. ATHS Conv. a few years back. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

My uncle drove a Powerliner with the standard NTA-400 in it. I really don't like using a competitors name but they already did that with the Titan (Chevy)!! Like it or not!

Um... Even worse, Nissan has a Titan pickup truck....

post-45-0-84308600-1396011041_thumb.jpg

Al,i wasn't sure they ran that late (77) last one I remember seeing in person is now a sign! it's for either a truckstop or wrecking yard? if memory serves in the Pacific Northwest somewhere. A friend of my Dad's had one leased to NAVL,I ,never saw it in person,but my Dad said the owner said,it was the biggest P.O.S he ever owned!....................Mark

Ha ha,Mark! The one my uncle drove had just the Freightliner name in the "coathanger" (as opposed to "White Freightliner"-deal with White ended in '77). Wasn't too bad of a truck after coming from a '74 4070B with a 318/13spd! Could have bought it a few years ago. Guess it was just too hard to find parts for. The dealer would have to special order just about everything that wasn't common to the FLT. Collector's item,for sure!

Mark,

That Powerliner was on top of a sign pole in a small valley on I-5 called Curtin. Between Roseburg and Eugene. It was lit up at night too. The powertrain was out of it so it was probably did not weigh much.

it was taken down when the small fuel stop closed some years back. I never saw the Powerliner name actually on any of the FL's I looked at? only in the brochures.

Coors transport (Coors Beer) had those with the KTA Cummins and the N-400 hp Cummins, does anyone know if they still haul there own beer? I think it was OD or one a the mag. that had a big art about when they never let the beer get warm, cold from the vat to the store even the city trucks had to be ref.

BULLHUSK

Ernie,

I remember that story too. Yes, their beer had to stay refrigerated as it was not pasteurized like it is today.I don't think they have their own fleet anymore.Sure had some sharp ones back in the day!

post-510-0-85461900-1396189801_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Al! I spent many childhood summers riding with my Dad,and once we layed over in Boulder,CO (he did a lot of work for the local NAVL agent Cities Storage) I don't recall seeing many C.O.E's pulling Coors trailers,but I remember seeing a lot of conventional White-Freightliner daycabs with REALLY long wheelbases! the early ones with the "Peterbilt-like" headlight mounts. Some of the first truly western spec. trucks I ever saw in person,it was odd to me,because they were still pulling mostly 40' and 45' Hobbs reefers,some were still even "bellymounts"! we even went as far as taking the tour of the brewery,when done,Dad got a sample of "the good stuff" I was treated to a sample of "Rocky Mountain Spring Water"! early seventies I'm guessing,as Coors was still not for sale east of the Mississippi river..............................Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi all I ran into this post  searching for something else and I drove a Freightliner Powerliner with a 450 KTA Cummins a few times when working out of the Teamsters line driver local 468 for Moore Business forms  around the late 1970s. It was probably the nicest truck I ever drove and the power was wonderful.

• 5 years later...

The Name Freightliner opposed to White Frtlnr started in late 1977 with the 1978 model year., due to the removal of the White dealership contract due to White Motor going belly up...  I do Not know exactly when the Powerliner came out???

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

On 4/24/2021 at 7:39 PM, Brocky said:

The Name Freightliner opposed to White Frtlnr started in late 1977 with the 1978 model year., due to the removal of the White dealership contract due to White Motor going belly up...  I do Not know exactly when the Powerliner came out???

According to Freightliner, the Powerliner came out in 1973.