ENF-707B Manual - 54 85LS

firenut

Hello all... I am new to this forum and looking for some information... I recently purchased a 1954 Mack 85LS pumper and will be looking for lots of parts... for a frame off restore. Currently I am looking to find whatever parts are missing from the motor. By chance can anyone tell me where to get a copy of the original service manual or the like. I have already written the museum for info as well.

Thanks in advance...

The museum offers the best information as far as I know of. I'm sure someone on here has the same motor and can help identify what you need. Presently there is a Mack motor and transmission on EBay for $350.00 but it is located on the west coast I think. Firemack can also provide a lot of information as he ran the project to restore a B Model pumper.

Firenut, Welcome....Got any pictures? Where is your truck from.....serial # ? My truck has the same engine....I have the information the museum sent if you need anything before you get yours. Other than that if you have any questions...ask away...the guys on here are very helpful

Is this the first fire truck you have restored? Not trying to be presumptive that you cannot do the job, but if it is, don't be too quick to tear everything apart until you are sure you have the funds to finish it. We have all seen too many rigs that get torn down only for the owners to discover that they cannot afford to finish it.

Even a quick re-paint will set you back well over $5-15K. A total restoration can be in the $100K range very quickly, with a re-furb coming in at $30 to $50K.

I don't want to discourage you, quite the opposite, I hope you can bring it back. But it is an absolute maxim in the antique vehicle world that it will always be cheaper to pay more for a well done or preserved rig in the beginning than it will be to do it yourself. If this one is missing parts you may be money ahead to look for a better rig to start with and use the current one for parts. L models are pretty common and not worth a lot even when fully restored.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks all for the suggestions and the feedback. I am well aware of the challenge that this will be. The truck is in rough shape and will need lots of work, but I am up for the challenge. I will need lots of parts so if any of you have LS parts for sale please let me know.

Thanks!

If you have already contacted the Museum for copies of your file, you are ahead of the game. However be advised they usually run 8-10 weeks before getting back to you. And "getting back to you" usually means a large/heavy cardboard box arriving via UPS. Keep in mind what you are getting is free- but don't forget to send them a donation!!!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

what is the serial # of your 54, I have #1709 1954 LS85 ,last of 23 made before the change -over to the B

Albert,

I have #1703... Saw your truck at Camden and took lots of pictures for reference. Very impressive truck and restoration!!

• 6 years later...
10 minutes ago, Kgahr1990 said:

Hello fellas I just saw this thread we just purchased 1950 L85 Aerial Ladder looking for service manuals and such and keep seeing the Museum mentioned. Is this a resource to find manuals ? Can some one please elaborate please?

The Mack Museum (out of Mack’s customer center) can give you a bunch of information on your truck if you give them the VIN. They even have maintenance manuals, and probably even have pictures of your truck when it rolled out of the factory.

You can get all their contact information to send in a request for the stuff on their website here: https://www.macktruckshistoricalmuseum.org

Also feel free to post pictures of the rig on this site... we certainly love pictures...

Also by any chance is it the Blue and White one? I saw that one up for sale a little while back and have been wondering what came of it...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!