Looking for a 1950's 85 LS 1000 GPM Pumper

baltrm

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and am looking for an 85 LS pumper. Preferably piped or already at 1000 GPM. Any Condition is fine as I want it as a project for me and my kids for years to come.

I'm located in central Maryland so hauling will be a consideration. Would appreciate folks keeping an eye out..

Thanks in advance!

Wow, about a month too late. I know of two Mack "85L"s that were sold last month. Not sure if they are "LS" or "LF" but both are 750 GPM. One is a semi-cab, solid truck but needs cosmetic work

and some mechanical work to get back on the road. The other is an open cab listed on E-bay; it is in excellent condition, ready for the next parade. Will let you know if we see anything.

bulldogboy

come up to the spaamfaa national muster on aug. 3 2013 at cooper river park in Pennsauken,n.j. you will see a lot of 'L's their and you may get some leads talking to people, large vendor turnout also. check out the host orginazition CRADLE OF LIBERTY ANTIQUE FIRE APPARATUS ASSOC.

Hello all. I am new to this forum, and am looking for an 85 LS pumper. Preferably piped or already at 1000 GPM. Any Condition is fine as I want it as a project for me and my kids for years to come.

I'm located in central Maryland so hauling will be a consideration. Would appreciate folks keeping an eye out..

Thanks in advance!

Baltrm, If you haven't already checked it out there is a thread " Craigslist Macks" .......there's a couple L models for sale. I think the open cab one I'm thinking of is from the forties....not sure if that matters. Best of luck in your search!!! By the way...I'm curious why the 1000gpm pump? I saw a B model last weekend....not for sale....not sure if I remember the number....Think it was a b-21...huge pump....actually had duel intakes on both sides....Hall-Scott engine....semi open cab....beautiful original truck. The whole nose of the truck was reworked to fit the engine........

Albert, Thanks for the info on the muster, I may just slide up there!

Loadstar, Thanks for the craigslist suggestion. Pardon my rookieness, I cannot seem to find the L models on there... as far as the 1000GPM "requirement", pretty simple... I love the look of that "V Style" gauge panel, and from what I can find, that's only available on the 1000GPM units... Charlie Hatfield has one that he started parting out, which would be the perfect fit for my "project" but I cant seem to find a way to get it from his place to my place in Maryland that's not too expensive.. Breaks my heart to see it going to scrap...

Thanks for looking out!! i'll take any suggestions...

I believe the 1000 and 1250 pumps required the hall -scott engine to supply the additional H.P. for the larger pump and the hood is actually 11" longer than a regular 'L'. you have to get Harvey Eckard's book on L model macks ,try amazon or ebay for it.

Also check the spaamfaa website often for L's ,that's where I found mine.

B-21s had Hall-Scott motors rather than the standard Mack engines. They also had bigger pumps, 1500 GPM and up (rather unusual for that era). They are pretty distinctive in that they have a longer hood to accommodate

the larger H-S motor. There has been one for sale on E-bay every so often. It is out in Barre, MA; not sure if it has been sold.

bulldogboy

Post a picture of the pump panel style you are looking for.

I'm pretty sure it is not related to the pump size, but more likely is styled to meet the number of gauges that the purchaser specified. Check out Eckart's book and you will see most Mack pump panel plates are rectangular, regardless of pump capacity.

The LS95 is not all that common compared to the LS85, with 351 being built, but there a few out there.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I believe the 1000 and 1250 pumps required the hall -scott engine to supply the additional H.P. for the larger pump and the hood is actually 11" longer than a regular 'L'. you have to get Harvey Eckard's book on L model macks ,try amazon or ebay for it.

Also check the spaamfaa website often for L's ,that's where I found mine.

1250 and up ,not 1000 as my rig is a B-95 with 707 and a 1000 gpm pump

In this issue of the Pennsylvania Fireman there is an add for a 1950 Open Cab L85. White over black paint and has been in a barn since 1983. Former Williamsport, (Pa?) unit.

Add does not state the size of the pump. Contact Brian Manzek @ 607-765-4045

In this issue of the Pennsylvania Fireman there is an add for a 1950 Open Cab L85. White over black paint and has been in a barn since 1983. Former Williamsport, (Pa?) unit.

Add does not state the size of the pump. Contact Brian Manzek @ 607-765-4045

L-85 750 GPM pump

• 5 weeks later...