seized engine

With a big socket and bar, you can try to turn the crank balancer bolt (clockwise) after you have the engine soaking for a couple of weeks.

Also, could have it in gear and try gently pulling the truck with another to see if there is any movement.

Hopefully, no critters have moved into the engine through an open valve and set up housekeeping.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

yup, we bought an old B61 once and it would turn over but not all the way, then we finally pulled the heads, found a mouse nest on top of #5 piston that they got in thru a hole in the exhaust pipe and an open valve. they engine would not go over far enough to push the nest out haha. i have hear of the old folks using Coca Cola to unseize an old motor before to. never tried it. if its a diesel it may not be seized. usually they are too oily to seize up, not sayin it cant happen

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I agree with everyone. Fill the cylinders with diesel fuel and let it sit for a couple weeks. Then drain it out and put a little ATF in the cyls and try to crank it by hand or tug it in gear to break it free. Don't go nuts. You want it to break free without too much force or you can do some damage.

The diesel fuel will breakdown and loosen up the rust in there. The ATF will lube the cyl as well as having cleaning properties. Good luck.

Again don't try to pull the truck and damage it. That would be a good way to bend a rod.A good way to turn it after soaking it with a oil or something is jake one wheel up and put trans in highest gear and bump the wheel back and forth and it is a lot more affective than a wrench on the front nut. it needs moved back and forth and the nut will back off on the front of the crank if you try backing the engine I have taken the intake manifold off before and spray PB in the open valves and then blow air in to get it on the side of the cyl.The exhast can be taken off also. If you think that's too much trouble then think about hat you will do if you end up bending a rod or busting a piston.

glenn akers

Be very careful about trying to crank or pull starting after putting a liquid in the cylinders. Liquids do NOT compress and something will break if much is in the cylinder. You probably know that but a reminder since no one mentioned it.

got it. seen a diesel running on it's own oil before and it was a scary sight. I am the eternal optimist and hope that the engine will turn with a little tlc. just hope that the neighbours are ready for the noise and smoke.

I start mine every couple of months... I usually wait until Sunday morning when the neighbours are at Church... the prevailing wind normally fills their yard with smoke... :whistling:

I like the way you think ! you are giving me ideas. Maybe I should wait til they have a garden full of laundry. hopefully getting the truck home this week so I will know how bad the motor is. One more question? my dad says that the truck was painted with lead based paint? is he talking bull?

If memory serves me right, lead paint was phased out in the mid 70's in the US. Most cars were enamel and lacquer paints at the time. Being a 1949 most likely you have some type of paint containing lead. Just don't eat the chips and you will be fine.

I start mine every couple of months... I usually wait until Sunday morning when the neighbours are at Church... the prevailing wind normally fills their yard with smoke... :whistling:

It is an excellent bug spray. So no one should be offended by keeping the mosquitos down.

mike

• Like 1

I saw a test of "rust busters" recently (cannot remember where) that compared the various rust penetrants against each other. The clear winner was a home made mix of transmission fluid and acetone or lacquer thinner. Anywhere from 50/50 all the way to 90% solvent and 10% oil worked best.

If all else fails you might try this in the cylinders.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I like the way you think ! you are giving me ideas. Maybe I should wait til they have a garden full of laundry. hopefully getting the truck home this week so I will know how bad the motor is. One more question? my dad says that the truck was painted with lead based paint? is he talking bull?

The military colors would defiantly contain lead. Our military and NATO used up their supplies into the mid 70's.

Haggis in the engine? better in my belly! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I saw a test of "rust busters" recently (cannot remember where) that compared the various rust penetrants against each other. The clear winner was a home made mix of transmission fluid and acetone or lacquer thinner. Anywhere from 50/50 all the way to 90% solvent and 10% oil worked best.

I have heard the same thing about ATF and acetone.

Supposed to be even better than Kroil and less money.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I can't say enough good things about PB Blaster. I've sprayed it on bolts that were absolutely destroyed with rust, let it soak a while, maybe tap on it with a hammer and spray some more on it and whammo! Off it comes. It would probably do a nice job of loosening valves and pistons and such.