Should I Buy This Truck?

I've almost convinced myself it wouldn't be a smart move to purchase this truck but I need a second and possibly a third and a fourth opinion to help convince me before I make my final decision.

The truck is a 1999 Mack CH613 with a high top sleeper. It has about 900,000 miles on a E7-427 Mack engine and 10-speed Fuller transmission. The owner rebuilt the engine himself and after about 1000 miles an injector went bad. God only knows why but the shop he took it to completely tore down the engine, put the parts on a pallet then put both the truck and pallet outside. He believes it was because they thought he was just a "dumb ass truck driver" (his words) and didn't know he was actually a Certified Diesel Mechanic who rebuilt the engine himself.

When he got the truck back the wrecker that towed it home didn't bring the pallet of parts. He only has 2 of the piston and rod assemblies, the turbo and possibly the rocker assemblies. The liners are not there but all the external parts (fan hub, alternator, starter, a/c, accessory drive, oil pump, power steering pump, harmonic balancer) are all still on the block. He said he couldn't afford to rebuild it again, especially with a rusted head and crank so it's been just sitting up for the last couple of years now.

In his opinion the crank and head are too badly rusted to reuse and the truck will need a complete engine replacement. My friend, who has not seen the crank, thinks it can be polished and reused. We're looking to cut costs by repairing the engine instead of replacing it. Also we could possibly cut costs if it could be trailered the 160 miles to our shop but with the sleeper measuring approximately 12' 9" high the owner believes it will need to be towed by a wrecker.

The owner is asking $3,000 for the truck. I think that's fair. Sold off for parts I believe it would bring much more than that. I've searched online and $7,000 minimum for an engine was the best I could do. He said it was an E7-427 engine but I also saw an E7-427 ETECH and I'm not familiar with that so I'm not really sure which one I should be pricing. I don't have a clue about towing so I'm guessing at least $1500-$2000 or more for that. I'm comparing all that to two running CH613's I saw online for $9,900 and $12,500. When you add it all up unless I can cut costs somewhere I'm thinking this would not be a smart buy. Now if you guys can offer some suggestions on how to cut costs or know somewhere I could get a short block cheaper then let me know.

I join forums with the hopes of meeting people with more knowledge and experience than myself. In doing so I hope to educate myself and rid my mind of ignorance. Your participation in this discussion is greatly appreciated.

post-10091-0-49985000-1356422415_thumb.j

post-10091-0-33277400-1356422422_thumb.j

post-10091-0-99220100-1356422428_thumb.j

post-10091-0-25785300-1356422440_thumb.j

post-10091-0-30968500-1356422447_thumb.j

post-10091-0-51500800-1356422454_thumb.j

post-10091-0-82677500-1356422479_thumb.j

post-10091-0-49644200-1356422490_thumb.j

Edited by TicketMan4u

If you are buying it to make money,I'd say you've got 2 choices.#1 buy it and part it out,or #2 find a used engine,but I'd take the sleeper off,that year of truck as a daycab will bring you 4 to 6 k more than as a sleeper truck.

That should have had the ETECH 427 with the individual unit pumps on each cylinder instead of a traditional fuel injection pump,in the search for a replacement,you'll have to be sure and check serial #'s to make sure everything is compatible.Engines from the '98 to '02 model year should work,but make sure to check #'s with a Mack dealer.

I think if your gonna buy it to run it I would pass. Motor, it has been sitting a few years all 10 tires possibly if dry rotted, For another 1000 or so you can have a running unit. If your gonna part it out. It takes time doing that and it may sit for a month to years before it is all gone.

That's what I needed to know. I had already pretty much come to the same conclusion that I could probably buy a running truck for what it would take me to get this one on the road again. And without all the time and trouble it would take me to get there.

Thanks again for the help guys and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Edited by TicketMan4u

I must say its a good looking truck, but it wouldnt be a smart move to buy it and work it... As others said you can put a running on ready to work right away for the price it would cost to get this one up and running, (Who knows how long thats gonna take or how much money!!!!!!)

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

Not much to tell

1998 CH 612

tandem-air ride

under 400,000 on the speedo.

Looks like a 10 spd.

motor unknown-will check tomorrow along with price

was used by a contractor to haul mail

overall looks good. no noticeable body cracks, tires are good

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I think $3000 is a decent deal for the truck as long as the trans and rears are ok, I cant tell form the pics but if it has all aluminum wheels theres $150 a piece, then $1500 for the trans, $2000 for the rears then the cab, sleeper, interior, frame etc. you could make money parting it out, you could do ok finding a wrecked truck for little money with a good engine then make one good one and sell everything else too. I would say get it and drop in a running take out ETECH 427 if you can get him down to $2500 for the truck if not its a toss up by the time you spend the money on tires(which it will need) and hoses, belts, probably exhaust rusted out etc..

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Not much to tell

1998 CH 612

tandem-air ride

under 400,000 on the speedo.

Looks like a 10 spd.

motor unknown-will check tomorrow along with price

was used by a contractor to haul mail

overall looks good. no noticeable body cracks, tires are good

Shouldn't that be a CH613 if it is a tandem, unless a tag axle was installed.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Lets fix it whats wrong with the engine if it was all rebuilt theres new parts there just needs a little loving, if crankshaft has surface rust you can polish it in the truck no big problem could probably build that engine in the field and drive it home.

He said the tires were about 70% and just the front tires are on aluminum rims but it's been sitting for a couple of years so I'm worried about dry rot. The old man has a trailer load of used tires he stores in total darkness to protect them from the sun that we use when we need to replace tires.

The shop didn't return all of the parts so I know from what the owner said I will at least have to but a set of pistons, rod assemblies, liners and possibly rocker asemblies plus probably all of the belts, hoses, fluids, gaskets, etc to put it all back together.

Labor is not a problem as the old man has two mechanics at his shop that could do it. Finding the time to take them away from their other duties would be the problem.

I didn't ask why he rebuilt the engine, just assumed it was due to the mileage, 900,000 miles, but now I remember the old man saying a million miles on a diesel wasn't nothing. Or at least it used to not be, I don't know about these new engines. This is my first 90's model truck to fool with. Really no experience at all just what the old man has taught me about 60's, 70's and 80's model Macks.

I'm going to see him today to let him know what all I've found out to see if he has anymore questions but most likely he'll say PASS just like most of you did. If we do Staxx I'll let you know how to contact the owner. He listed his location as Troy, AL. Gonna try to get him to join BMT also.

Thanks for all the help guys. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Edited by TicketMan4u

Before buying this truck you have to considered some points like try to take a test of drive, read the fine print, look under the hood, check everything and know your figures.

The motor sounds like its already in pieces.