New owner of a 1964 Mack C600

Milaca

Hello from central Minnesota,

I recently purchased my first Mack truck, a 1964 C600 gravel truck that was originally a semi-tractor for the company that is displayed on the door signage. I have lots to learn about these trucks even though my dad had a 1965 C600 single-axle gravel truck back in the mid 1980's. I've done some searching on the net but havent found much info about the C600 series of trucks. In what years were these built? Are most parts shared with the B-series? This truck has a 6 cylinder Mack engine with twin-stick transmission which apparently replaced the original 9-speed overdrive transmission as is shown on the sun visor shift pattern diagram. It currently is in dire need of a brake treadle valve/brake pedal assembly (where can I get a good used one?) and repair of the PTO as it currently is non-functional. Any local places with parts for these trucks? Any knowledge of these trucks is appreciated. Thank you!

9-30-2012%2520023.JPG

9-30-2012%2520022.JPG

9-30-2012%2520030.JPG

9-30-2012%2520024.JPG

The C was built between 1963 & 65. There were 1064 C-609's built.

If you weren't aware. You can contact the Mack Trucks Historical Museum with your serial number for information on your truck.

A donation for their efforts is suggested.

They can be contacted at:

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Schumaker, Curator

2402 Lehigh Parkway South

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: +1 610 351-8999

Fax: +1 610 351-8756

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Thanks for the replies. As for the rusty cab on this truck, it will need lots of patches welded in around the bottom rear of the cab (where there is currently much body filler), around the bottom of the windshield, raingutter to roof area, etc. Are new patch panels available? What other models of trucks use this same cab? Is it just my imagination or is this cab different than a B-model Mack?

Thank you,

Brent

any Bendix Westinghouse dealer can get you kit or recon brake valve. I like that ardvark design which didn't take until KW made that ardvark design in late 80's early 90's.Thats the newest L type cab with wipers set like yours.quite a few parts are inter changable. Nice rare model and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

any Bendix Westinghouse dealer can get you kit or recon brake valve. I like that ardvark design which didn't take until KW made that ardvark design in late 80's early 90's.Thats the newest L type cab with wipers set like yours.quite a few parts are inter changable. Nice rare model and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

How close is a C cab to an L ? Is the central (removable) part of a foor differs only or a floor under seats also ? And how about a cowl in a relation to a dog house ?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The C was built between 1963 & 65. There were 1064 C-609's built.

If you weren't aware. You can contact the Mack Trucks Historical Museum with your serial number for information on your truck.

A donation for their efforts is suggested.

They can be contacted at:

The Mack Trucks Historical Museum

Don Schumaker, Curator

2402 Lehigh Parkway South

Allentown, PA 18103

Telephone: +1 610 351-8999

Fax: +1 610 351-8756

This is excellent information, lower production than I expected. What other information about the C-series can you share? Were they built in other countries too or only in the USA? As for the Mack Historical Society, I will do as you suggest as I enjoy learning the history from the time of a vehicles original purchase. I've done this same thing with some Studebaker automobiles as some of the information is available from factory records at the Studebaker National Museum. Thank you

Despite the sloped hood, there is still a lot of room under their. As shown in the photo, plenty of room to get at the starter motor from above the frame (which I had to remove the cables from and clean to get the starter to function again). Can anyone tell me what model of Mack turbocharged engine this is? Thanks

9-30-2012%2520028.JPG

Edited by Milaca

This is excellent information, lower production than I expected. What other information about the C-series can you share? Were they built in other countries too or only in the USA? As for the Mack Historical Society, I will do as you suggest as I enjoy learning the history from the time of a vehicles original purchase. I've done this same thing with some Studebaker automobiles as some of the information is available from factory records at the Studebaker National Museum. Thank you

From what I understand, the C-model is basically a DM/U model chassis in disguise. Mack was working on the DM/U and utilized some of their spare sheet metal to bring the C-model to market. The L cab is used on C's, B's, L's and fire trucks based upon the L chassis. There were some panels available but it appears as if those have all dried up.

C-models are neat trucks, I have had the opportunity to purchase several over the years but for one reason or another it hasn't worked out. Good Luck with yours!

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Are you a member of either ATHS or ATCA; both antique truck clubs. They both publish magazines which can be a good source for parts.

Only one C model made it to the ATHS national show this year out of the 1,000 trucks that were showed. That should give you an idea of how rare this truck is.

If you do a search on C models in this forum you will find other owners of C models that you can PM for information about th re-habs of their trucks.

Good luck and welcome to the best place to find information about Macks on the web.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The basic design of the C cab is indeed the L model cab.

A couple things that are different is the L cab used a gasket system with aluminum frames around the front windows. The C model used a more modern rubber gasket all the way around.

All C model doors are a 3 hinge style where as depending on the model of L cab could be a 2 or 3 hinge door.

The L has a top center of glass mount for the wipers and the C model have them more to the center of the truck to allow the use of larger blades.

It is a fine looking truck and you should have lots of fun with it!

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

From what I understand, the C-model is basically a DM/U model chassis in disguise.

So U's "parents" were good looking, but poor U's fell out of the ugly tree and broke every branch with there face on the way down.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

C models were built from 63' to 65'. The U model replaced them in 65'. C models are quite rare. I recomend sending the serial number to the Mack museum. I love C models, I wanna have one someday. U's, and C's have quite a bit in common. For example the short nose, and short wheelbases.

With one major advantage, Not an offset cab and no need for a kickstand