Fire Ring On Head Gaskets

Mackman61

When Replacing Head Gasket Is There some kind of a sealent i can put on the fire rings I was tolled to oil them up also the head gaskets not shure if that is going to do anything or not thought some kind selent would be better Maybe luccus would be good Any Thoughts will be apprectiated still trying To Locate The Source Of the Fuel Getting Into My Antifreeze And my Oil the heads are at the machine shop getting magnufluxed checking for cracks

I wouldn't use anything on the fire rings or the head gaskets.

just make sure everything is clean, threaded holes in block for head bolts should be cleaned.

Make sure you oil threads on head bolts and under bolt heads and washers---torque to proper specs. in sequence and in three different steps to final torque.

Ron

• Like 1

I wouldn't use anything on the fire rings or the head gaskets.

just make sure everything is clean, threaded holes in block for head bolts should be cleaned.

Make sure you oil threads on head bolts and under bolt heads and washers---torque to proper specs. in sequence and in three different steps to final torque.

Ron

excellant,,,woulda told ya bout the same thing,,,good luck,,hope that solves your problem...bob

• 9 years later...

So this is a related subject, but this week when taking off the heads on my e6 350 I buggered up one of the fire rings. Dosnt look terrible but it squashed it for about an eight of an inch. Im wondering if I put it back together like this will it just blow a headgasket right away or can I use it for awhile without having to worry about it.

Swapping a liner isn't a really terrible deal and they're affordable if we speak about E6 or a similar engine. That edge seals against the fire ring and if it has its portion away nobody could tell you for how long it would last. If you choose to swap the liner they may have different OD (where they fit into the block). Block can be rebored and oversized liner is used. So better to pull out the old liner first to check its OD before purchasing a new part.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I recently pulled liners from an ENDT E-6.  I didnt have a hydraulic puller...   I welded a spiral of weld on the inside of the liner, then used my Kent Moore liner puller. it was still a chore and I had to sharpen the dogs on my puller a few times to get a good bite.  Then i had a machine shop press the liners in the block for me.  My enigine was out of the truck, and I was re-building it.. for you to do 1 liner in chassis may be a lot of work, depending on tooling.  Dry icing the new liner to get it in is a method you can use.. I never got real good at it.  I also rebuilt an E-7,  2 years ago that was putting pressure in the cooling system. when I pulled the heads, #6 liner was chipped, just like you described your's is..  so far all is good...   I hope I helped you with the approach to this repair... jojo

• Like 1

gotch'a..   good luck ... the E-7 that I re-built because of age and the chipped liner, ran just fine and with a radiator cap that have the pressure relief lever on it and letting it breath when needed, and some coolant now and then.. some summer days were a bit hot for it...this was before I went through it..jojo

• Like 1

Cylinder liner kits aren't too bad to do.  You already have the head off, that's the hardest part.  Drain the oil, drop the oil pan, pull the connecting rod off the crank and send the piston and rod out the top. A vertical weld up the old piston liner is all you need to loosen it.  Forget how we drive the new liner in, probably a block of wood and a hammer... Might be a brass punch involved at the end.

• Like 1

so dry liners can be driven in with a block of wood???  I thought the .002" crush on the liner during install required either dry ice or a hydraulic press?   just asking... jojo

• Like 1

Last one we did was a dry liner in our 1979 endt676 12 years ago.  Dropped a valve seat so it got one piston/liner kit and a rebuilt cylinder head.  I remember my dad welding the inside bore of the old liner to get it out, and I don't remember doing anything special to drive the new one in. Probably scuff sanded the block bore and drove the new liner in with a wheel seal driver and/or a block of wood.  We aren't technical enough to measure bore interference.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 4:42 PM, theakerstwo said:

I have run a weld bead up and down maybe two or three of them to shrink the liner.And dont forget to cover the crank.

Also bare in mind there are available oversized liners you need to watch for this When ordering parts ! the liners are  etched with The part number the last digits ending P5 p10 ect being the oversized number!  The liner should be a slide fit for the first 2/3 of the way down then a semi aggressive fit last 1/3!you may need  a wooden block for the last little bit to seat them!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 2