1925 AB Barn Find

fxfymn

Here are a couple of pictures of a 1925 AB pumper that a friend of mine purchased in SC. We went down to get it with my trailer and delivered it to a restoration shop for them to try to get it running.

The rig has been in storage for the last 21 years, but was in remarkably good condition. All of the bits and pieces are there except for the bell. We took the headlights off so they would not get damaged in transit. There is no rust, not even the tool box was rusted out, and the engine turned over with the hand crank. The running boards loook as good as new. The paint is peeling and there is some surface rust, but I've seen worse on in-service rigs.

It was delivered to Lakehurst, NJ. There is a NJ state inspection sticker on the dash for 1941! Apparently they had the chemical tanks removed and replaced with a small booster tank, but other than that it is all original.

post-2016-0-98751700-1331940595_thumb.jppost-2016-0-93961900-1331940668_thumb.jppost-2016-0-83343900-1331940715_thumb.jppost-2016-0-73235300-1331940761_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

On page 24 of Harvey Eckart's book, "Mack Fire Apparatus, A Pictorial History" there is a picture of a 1925 Mack "AB" pumper taken in 1974 in

Cross Anchor, SC. It looks just like your truck right down to the CD emblems on the cowl. This must be the same truck.

bulldogboy

Thats a great find! going by the civil defense markings on the truck, it's age,and seeing it was delivered to Lakehurst,NJ could possibly have been assigned to Lakehurst Naval Air Station (where the airship Hindenburg blew-up crashed)..................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thats a great find! going by the civil defense markings on the truck, it's age,and seeing it was delivered to Lakehurst,NJ could possibly have been assigned to Lakehurst Naval Air Station (where the airship Hindenburg blew-up crashed)..................................Mark

That was my first thought too. In remarkable condition!! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Could you tell me where in S.C.? I found a 1920 Seagrave fire truck in a barn near Adams Run, S.C. back last April, to keep my 1941 Mack 505 pumper compamy

Ray; I sent you an e-mail. Carl

According to the museum the truck was delivered to the municipal department, not the airfield. However, we will be looking at pictures of the disaster to see if we can spot the truck.

Thanks for the lead in Harvey's book.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I was thinking that it was more likely the town of Lakehurst, N.J. then the Base. I know that one of the news clips of the disaster shows a rig as a silouette, I always thought it was a ALF, but couldn't find a Dept. with one that fit. Now this may be what is in the clip. Good luck with the restoation.

• 1 year later...

A little update: We picked up the truck from the restoration shop yesterday. They had to get the intake manifold remanufactured as it was split into a couple of pieces, rebuilt the carb, the starter, replaced the rear tires, removed the heads and pan for cleaning, installed new plugs, flushed the cooling system, and added a temporary fuel tank.

When we arrived at the shop the owner was under the truck muttering obscenities, as the bendix would not engage. After removing the starter and finding a bolt laying in front of the flywheel we figured out that the bendix spring had broken. After two 45 minute trips (each way) to the starter repair shop, we got it running. Don't ask about the supposed re-build of the starter.

It runs like a top. Absolutely unbelievable after 88 years. The clutch and brakes worked and we actually drove it up onto the trailer.

Turns out the truck is from Lakewood NJ, not Lakehurst. It was at the Hindenburg disaster according to the Lakewood FD.

We left Richmond around 6:00 am and figured we would be back by 7:00 pm. Because of the starter issue we did not leave NC until 7:00 pm and made it back to Richmond around 11. Long day.

Where were you in NC?

N. Wilkesboro, about 1/2 mile from the old NASCAR track.

just wash it off load on your trailer and bring it to the national muster in n.j. as is.

The truck's owner has a much nicer truck he is taking to the national. Look for a 1929 White Motor Car salvage wagon out of Baltimore, MD at the show. Quite the restoration and an absolutely stunning truck.

N. Wilkesboro, about 1/2 mile from the old NASCAR track.

The truck's owner has a much nicer truck he is taking to the national. Look for a 1929 White Motor Car salvage wagon out of Baltimore, MD at the show. Quite the restoration and an absolutely stunning truck.

I'd take the dusty,rusty AB over a shiny White anyday.

• Like 1

I'd take the dusty,rusty AB over a shiny White anyday.

The plan is to leave the AB as is. He is going to wash it, polish up the existing paint, and enjoy it.

I'll get some pics on this week. So far he has put the lanterns and brackets back on, removed the windshield, added the suction strainer, and cleaned everything up.