Well here it is, DM690s dump

Looks like you did a nice job :twothumbsup: I want to know why do they offset the cabs on some models like your truck? I look and do some 'ciphering, scratch my head but still dont come up with any logical (I am sure there is) reason why you would offset a cab.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I Dont know the correct answer for that question but.... The way this truck is set up if the cab was in the middle you would have about a foot if that of room (wide). Which wouldnt work i dont think the cab is right up on the hood and has the access panel to the engine inside the cab, i think they did this for weight restrictions, but im sure the guys around here know alot more about this than I . Id like to know myself really.

David in North Carolina set me straight on that same question when I bought a DM. If I remember correctly, DM stands for Dump/Mixer and they offset the cab so you have so much better visibility looking in your mirror and on the road to your left. I sure like them for backing up to a dock. When I drove for UPS, they stressed the importance of doing a "driver side back" when at all possible.

Oh - I forgot to add - Great bunch of photos - the camera lens makes the trucks look like they are bent for better cornering!

That wasn't the camera angle. You got to real careful driving one of those lopsided things as they like to roll over on the left. They round the trucks so they incurr less damage from this strange phenomena.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That wasn't the camera angle. You got to real careful driving one of those lopsided things as they like to roll over on the left. They round the trucks so they incurr less damage from this strange phenomena.

Rob

I always thought DM's were strange until I owned one and rolled under it the first time on a creeper - now just the thought of that gorgeous, beautiful deeeeeep frame makes me feel kind of, sort of, along the lines of, well you know what I mean.

Nice pictures. Vinny will be having dreams over them. Reasons for the offset I've heard: (1) Better visibility forward to see around that slower truck you want to pass on a two lane with out going way over the line to see if anything is coming. Mack has put this in advertising. (2) Better visibility backward down the driver's side. (3) Shorter hood with part of the engine under the dash. Allowed to pull 45' trailers in states with 55' overall length laws.

I always thought DM's were strange until I owned one and rolled under it the first time on a creeper - now just the thought of that gorgeous, beautiful deeeeeep frame makes me feel kind of, sort of, along the lines of, well you know what I mean.

I actually admire the absolute brute strength this chassis offers. It is one SON OF A BITCH to pull back into shape when wrenched up however. A lot of times just easier to either section, or rerail a side.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

They have 300 horse engines and mack tranny's , they are a little rough riding when empty, but the ole fords ride just as rough if not worse, and they were factory dumps.Thanks for the comments . i couldn't get back to this yesterday as we got called to a house fire, and boy was she a burner

They have 300 horse engines and mack tranny's , they are a little rough riding when empty, but the ole fords ride just as rough if not worse, and they were factory dumps.Thanks for the comments . i couldn't get back to this yesterday as we got called to a house fire, and boy was she a burner

Did ya save the foundation?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Keep in mind the DM came out in '63 or '64. That was way before the bridge formula law became a federal thing and came east. So the cab was mounted so far forward that it had only a 62" dimension from the front axle to the back of cab. Mack sold on that number, which made it way easier to load the front axle to 20,000 or 23,000. Compared to those little sissy dump trucks like a Ford LN-9000.

Plus that cab is only 70" wide. So if it hadn't been offset, that engine tunnel would be centered and there wouldn't be any room.

• Like 1

I actually admire the absolute brute strength this chassis offers. It is one SON OF A BITCH to pull back into shape when wrenched up however. A lot of times just easier to either section, or rerail a side.

Rob

They were called fish belly frames right?the fish belly was where all the stress was when loaded.

• 3 weeks later...