A rock and a hard place

Had to attend the company i'm leased to's bi-annual safety meeting in harrisburg this morning,and later while chatting with the woman who does all the truck related paperwork,tags,insurance,logs etc. it was brought to my attention that my tractor is beyond its years (insurance,and company policy wise) and not much had been brought up because of my performance/on time record (100%) after i explained that my tractor is meticulously mantained,spotless,not a nick, scratch' dent in it,and that i have NEVER been down,or late with a truck related problem in 12 years,her answer was "well you might still want to start looking into a newer truck" which my reply was," i have absoulutely no intention of buying a new truck,especially given the current economy,and the growing list of EPA bullshit that goes with it,DPF,urea etc" nothing final yet,just makes me mad that something like this is part of your reward for hard work and dedication,epspecially after covering a load (14 stops) originally assigned to a "new" paccar product (2011 KW) in the shop with "computer problems" and a bad injector cup at 50k miles!............................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

You are absolutely right about new the trucks. Where I work we have new KW's, IH's, and Freightliners with PACCAR, Maxforce, and DD15 engines and they keep Truck Enterprises, Powell's Truck and Equipment, and Va. Truck Center busy trying to keep them running. It's just one thing after another. And they have to go to the dealer to be worked on, nothing much but routine service they can do at our shop.

Nocluejoe told me he talked to a driver at a garage somewhere that was driving a new KW that had broken down. Joe thought it was funny- he was delivering brand new KW's from the factory to the dealer's lot and they couldn't even make it that far without having issues.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Vision, you should come work with us.We have an O/O with a 1974 Pete 359, one with a 1984 Pete 359, I'll soon be sighning on my 1984 RWS. It's a family owned company that started 31 years ago . They have about 50 trucks of their own and truly understand what junk the newer stuff is. They have alot of loads going to Virginia and the Carolinas. PM me and I can give you phone numbers . Steve

You brought up some very good points on why your truck should be allowed to stay on, but using logic on management types is rarely successful. Best of Luck.

I think companys try to keep you in debt so you have to run your ass off.

I believe that to be true. Look at Prime Inc (Please Remember I Mortgaged Everything). They have mileage limits on their lease trucks which force you to get into a new lease as soon as or not long after completing your current lease. Most of the large carriers have age limits with no regard to mileage or condition of the tractor.

Jim

We have a company called BLUE LINK near us that supplies building materials to the lumber yards and big box stores, they favor the older units because they have less problems. On the other side of the coin, Brookhaven, NYDOT and USDOT are just completing a rail link for containers and trailers and the cut off for entry is no older than 6 years for a power unit. Lots of older trucks (my Marmon and R included) are just more dependable. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Had to attend the company i'm leased to's bi-annual safety meeting in harrisburg this morning,and later while chatting with the woman who does all the truck related paperwork,tags,insurance,logs etc. it was brought to my attention that my tractor is beyond its years (insurance,and company policy wise) and not much had been brought up because of my performance/on time record (100%) after i explained that my tractor is meticulously mantained,spotless,not a nick, scratch' dent in it,and that i have NEVER been down,or late with a truck related problem in 12 years,her answer was "well you might still want to start looking into a newer truck" which my reply was," i have absoulutely no intention of buying a new truck,especially given the current economy,and the growing list of EPA bullshit that goes with it,DPF,urea etc" nothing final yet,just makes me mad that something like this is part of your reward for hard work and dedication,epspecially after covering a load (14 stops) originally assigned to a "new" paccar product (2011 KW) in the shop with "computer problems" and a bad injector cup at 50k miles!............................................Marksorry man,,,thats the way most companys are,,but they shoulda told you that when you hired on...far as new trucks go,,i think thier junk too,,,and what about the camel piss additive you need to keep putting in a seperate tank,,to cool the exhaust,,,what a crock,,,my company just had to install a seperate pump for that shit..discusting...bob

That same "truck cannot be more than ____ years old" B.S. has been around forever.And I think Ron (b61) is right! I've known many o/o's with excellent trucks & records that should be at the top of the pecking order,but since they and their PAYED OFF power units are well expierianced and won't work for free,companies use that against them.I used to see a few companies requiring that the truck just be able to pass or have a curent D.O.T. inspection.Thats fair in my book.But as in so many other things in our daily life,insurance companies govern the way we live.And this is no exception.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

If you look at a 10 year old Freightliner or International, they trucks are almost always used-up and worn out, with just about every joint, seam and assembly broken or loose. Volvo's aren't much better. My 2000 CH612 and 1997 MR688 with 600k on the clock are in 10 times better shape than the 2005 Freightliner Columbia a friend has, and he's pretty diligent about maintenance.

My '73 Peterbilt 358 and '77 RS700L are in better condition than most new trucks, and neither of them are susceptible to total shut down by a faulty sensor, loose wire or bad computer.

what pisses me off is that your truck can be top notch shape but as soon as they see that they go looking for something to fail it. I Drive a 1996 IH at work. 360k on the truck never left me stranded yet. has had 2 issues that we had fixed within a few days down time. Yet every time I have been inspected I get warnings for stupid things that have no meaning to possible fail.

I was issued a warning for bad brake adjustment yet when i checked(after they noted it) It was withing spec?

I was issued a warning for an oil leak off the transmission....It was grease from the throwout bearing zerk hose.

I was issued a warning for bad reverse light. Light worked but the sensor was bad..

Yet I watched trucks roll past me with fuel tanks steps blowing in the wind and trucks that had tires so bald you could see the belts...

Just like keeping a clean washed truck is not the Best idea anymore. they wont get under a dirty truck. but have some pride and you will be waved over to the side for them to get under it.

I've heard that time and time again ,Trent.Guys have actually been told that by Ill. State Troopers.They will pull clean trucks over before a dirty, filthy ,no matching rubber,one brake working,steer tires I wouldn't run on a trailer,type of junker running up and down our roads.That way they keep their nifty uniforms clean,while moms carrying their kids to the store or activities,wonder if that truck with big shark teeth in the grille, is going to end up in back seat with kids at the next red light!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Northern Vermont Truck DMV have always been very fare to me. My red Superliner they have never crawled under. Here if you keep it clean and good rubber they will do the walk around and weigh you. Washing the truck every day and wax once a week pisses the wife off but makes it easier on the road.

post-426-0-49684200-1330089385_thumb.jpg

A nice clean truck shows pride. An assumption that if the driver keeps the truck clean, he would also be diligent with Maint.

A dirty truck shows just the opposite. Yes Mr. DOT may not want to get dirty, but these are the trucks they should be targeting.

I see plenty of transfer tailers from Miami area that make me shudder to be around. BAD tires, maybe some lites work, leaking oil on the scale.

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian