Antique truck with antique driver

I am on his side, If you know whats good for you don't mess with us.

I know better than to mess with a man that lost half his hearing riding in a tank, firing at the chinks till the gun got so hot the shells started to cook off on their own, only to have it blow up underneath him. He started the day shooting a 75MM cannon and ended with only a pistol and his M3grease gun both out of .45 ammo. He said it was like trying to kill all the ants coming of a anthole with just one finger.

I know better than to mess with a man that for six months drove to my grandfathers home while he was dieing of spinal cancer, just so he could feed the cows in the yard next to the house so my grandpa could look out the window at them from his bed.

I know better than to mess with a man that got to watch his best friend and brother (my dad) die of a heart attack.

I know better than to mess with a man that spent the last five years driving his wife, three days a week for 8 hours to dialysis, only to have her die in his arms last year after 50 years of marriage.

I know better than to mess with a man that can still shoot the wings off a gnat with a black powder rifle that he handmade himself. He gets a deer and a turkey every year and more importantly has taught anyone that would listen how to safely hunt and respect wildlife.

I know better than to mess with a man that has done all this in life and still smiles constantly, is quick with a joke, never knows a stranger, and is always active and a go getter. He learned to drive a 13 speed at age 81 and is ready for whatever new adventure tomorrow brings!

• Like 2

How does he like the new 237?

I ask him that all the time - how is that engine doing? He always says the same thing - Its a runnin' Jesse! (jesse owens)

I have been secretly laughing to myself as I watch him discover that the Cummins in that 5 ton just won't get down and lug like the 237 he is used to does!

He told me last week that the Mack starts just by looking at the key while the cummins with a preheater and a ether bottle installed on it, still has to crank and crank to fire when cold.

One of my neighbors is well into his 80s too and still hauls gravel with his early 80s GMC brigadeir. He sold a 1/4 section a few years ago for over a million so he doesn't need to drive the old gravel truck. He says the day he stops is he day he dies.

Here's an interesting story. I heard an interview with these people on CBC on the way home....

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Alaska+woman+fends+moose+attack+husband/6040355/story.html

Respect for your Uncle and all our elderly peers. We have all listened and learned and lived what we were taught by these amazing people. My great Grandfather made me a bow and arrow in his 90's from a tree he picked out and I cut. My brothers and I used it for years. My friends Grandfather, God bless him, at 92 would scrap cows and mow hay all day. He passed 2 years ago 1 month short of 100 and my friend uses what this Grandfather taught him to be a very successful Dairy farmer today.

I can't stop reading your post and shared it with my Family. Amazing......

I told him I was going to put the pics on here - he is going to be really embarassed!

One of his grandsons (who doesn't really understand how these things work) gave him those work shoes he is wearing in the photos. All his life he has worn Red Wing work boots or similar - always leather and lace up high - good shoes are one thing he would buy no matter what they cost. He wears the new goofy shoes because he was thankfull for the gift and also too tight to not use them, but I can tell that they just don't suit his notions of proper workin' man dress!

I told him I was going to put the pics on here - he is going to be really embarassed!

One of his grandsons (who doesn't really understand how these things work) gave him those work shoes he is wearing in the photos. All his life he has worn Red Wing work boots or similar - always leather and lace up high - good shoes are one thing he would buy no matter what they cost. He wears the new goofy shoes because he was thankfull for the gift and also too tight to not use them, but I can tell that they just don't suit his notions of proper workin' man dress!

by the looks he is quite a tailor too! (and i'm not picking on him)

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

The very personification of what we called an "Old Yankee". Make do or do without; fix it, don't buy new; keep working and saving because you might need it when you get old!

God bless him and all those like him.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!