Antique truck with antique driver

I will take that as a compliment for him, but around here "Yankee" is not an affectionate term!

No offense is intended towards real yankees.

LMAO! a real yankee (me) is not offended! wonderful post! thanks for sharing! reminds me a great deal of my late grandfather,never bought anything new in his life. Makes me more proud to be an American,when i hear a story like this,i for one am damn glad people like your uncle still exist,makes this world a better place!............Keep on a' truckin'!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

LMAO! a real yankee (me) is not offended! wonderful post! thanks for sharing! reminds me a great deal of my late grandfather,never bought anything new in his life. Makes me more proud to be an American,when i hear a story like this,i for one am damn glad people like your uncle still exist,makes this world a better place!............Keep on a' truckin'!.............Mark

We hauled the two loads of logs off today - I took my middle son and we made a morning out of it. I jump at every chance I can get my boys to work around their great uncle (and to a lesser degree their dad)

Here are some pics from taking them to the Amish sawmill -

The road to Uncle Forrest's house

post-6658-0-82444000-1328066874_thumb.jp

The house that he built by hand with all the wood sawed off the farm - you should see the walnut staircase!

post-6658-0-31596400-1328067380_thumb.jp

Co-pilot Matthew

post-6658-0-44616200-1328066920_thumb.jp

Just left the farm - check out the little white church where we eat too much at basket dinners

post-6658-0-29649800-1328066939_thumb.jp

Ever see a bull dog run faster than a horse?

post-6658-0-74140700-1328066954_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-13589400-1328067001_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-84927000-1328067045_thumb.jp

post-6658-0-36635300-1328067015_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Great story, we have some really spry 80 plus year olds around here. I joking tell them they're not human.

Most of the 80 year old guys around here that get around good are "pickled" from 60 years of a daily drunk from either Old Crow sippin' whiskey or the elixir of life: Mad Dog 20/20!

Looks like you gentlemen made it in great shape and I must say, those are some beautiful logs.

Actually they are junk logs - they make pallets out of them and will buy any log that is made out of wood! We were laughing that it is like a "multicultural" set of logs - on those two loads we had the following: Pine, Mulberry, Hickory, Post Oak, Willow, Catalpa, Elm, Sycamore, Cottonwood, Black Oak, and mostly Pin Oak. We had 6500 board feet on the two trucks. They only pay 24 - 30 cents a board foot so no one is getting rich by the time we haul them 40 miles. Our check was right at $1500.00 so I guess it is worth doing. We are lucky we even have a place to sell them.

The Amish are the most honest people to deal with - we scale the logs ourselves when we load them. They scale them when they buy them and they always come up with a higher number than we do! The logs can have rotten places, holes, and be crooked. They dock the logs some for defects like that, but not as much as I think they should.

Our good grade and veneer logs are picked up by the log brokers here at the farm.

Most of the 80 year old guys around here that get around good are "pickled" from 60 years of a daily drunk from either Old Crow sippin' whiskey or the elixir of life: Mad Dog 20/20!
Damn you had to bring that shit up. Thought I'd done relegated that portion of life to cold storage...... Back from the days of old when I was a connoisseur of cheap wine.

Any nasty looking green color sawmill equipment at that mill? My trucks hauled a lot of debarkers, end mills, slab saws, and parts of a scrag down that way. Good friends of mine in the little hamlet of Inbreadedness, (Farmington) build that stuff.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah! Don't think though that drinking is what has kept Uncle Forrest spry - his favorite line is: A man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man.

My dad, his brother, had a favorite line that was: a drop of liquor has never passed these lips.

I better lay low during this conversation.

Damn you had to bring that shit up. Thought I'd done relegated that portion of life to cold storage...... Back from the days of old when I was a connoisseur of cheap wine.

Any nasty looking green color sawmill equipment at that mill? My trucks hauled a lot of debarkers, end mills, slab saws, and parts of a scrag down that way. Good friends of mine in the little hamlet of Inbreadedness, (Farmington) build that stuff.

Rob

I have seen some puke green sawmill equipment at the different mills they run. In fact while we were there, we helped them install a new clutch in a V4 65 horsepower wisconsin engine they were running a resaw with that had the beautiful color you mention. I am amazed at what they can do without electricity - no welders - no trouble lights - no internet to find specs.

Most of them use a old circular saw for the initial breakdown of the log into cants - it is more forgiving of dirt and rocks on the logs. Then they use a band saw to cut them into boards. Then onto an edger and finally the slabs are chopped into chunks by the youngest kid for firewood.

Not many safety devices are still in place on the equipment!

I have seen some puke green sawmill equipment at the different mills they run. In fact while we were there, we helped them install a new clutch in a V4 65 horsepower wisconsin engine they were running a resaw with that had the beautiful color you mention. I am amazed at what they can do without electricity - no welders - no trouble lights - no internet to find specs.

Most of them use a old circular saw for the initial breakdown of the log into cants - it is more forgiving of dirt and rocks on the logs. Then they use a band saw to cut them into boards. Then onto an edger and finally the slabs are chopped into chunks by the youngest kid for firewood.

Not many safety devices are still in place on the equipment!

That last statement is why they can get so much done.

I'm pretty good friends with the builders of sawmill equipment here. We are always swapping work needed done. Don't think I ever delivered anything myself down your way but used to send quite a bit out when moving cars between locations.

Still running a VH4D Wisconsin engine eh? Those are getting damned expensive to rebuild anymore. I had one in a L775 New Holland skid steer loader and it was a good engine but costly to maintain as much older equipment gets......

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Your Uncle reminds me of my Late Granddad that raised from the time i was 2 yrs old (aka Pop) after my dad passed @ the age of 26 yrs old . WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD LIKE YOUR UNCLE .

My Pop had 3 tia "Mini Strokes" on me in 1997 & then the big one hit in 1998 . When the 1st tia hit we were clearing 65 acres Pop was Feeding the burn pit w/ an 850G Case Dozer we had, & he had stopped the dozer over by the Cat 215 B L trackhoe i was operating (i was taking a Red Oak tree down @ the time)

& told me in a studdering voice he didnt feel good & a store was across the rd from us i sent our saw man over there to get a candy bar & coke to bring pops blood sugar back up as he had Diabetes (sp?) & took2 shots a day . when i found ou & Realized it wasnt that after he ate the Milky Way bar & Drank a 20 oz Coke cause usually that did the trick he was still studdering . i rushed him to the ER 15 MINS From where we were working. thats when i found out it was a TIA Or a "mini stroke" .

He was in rehab 6 months after being in the hospital . it affected his speech for the rest of his life but he would make you understand him.

Pop was driving The Lowboy & the dump trucks & operating the equipment just 9 months after the stroke . (what was bad the cops & DOT KNEW HIS CDLS WERE TAKEN FROM HIM FOR 2 YRS ONCE THE STROKE HIT HIM & He was moving equipment, hauling Log, dirt, brush, Demolition , Mulch, Sand & gravel everyday) The Diesel Bears around here has known my family for years & one the higher up Diesel Bears/State Trooper that has been a personal friend of the family told me they were told by the head man over this region to leave Pop alone. (pop was good friends w/ the head man in charge) He drove 2 yrs w/o any license before he the Dr let him get his CDLs back & the bears knew it the whole time.

He was still bidding on jobs & running the family business & feeding his Cows w/ myself & his crew by his side the whole time. He passed on Apirl 15 2005 I made a joke w/ tears in my eyes that he beat the tax man.

I KNOW this & Coon Hunting along w/ his vegtable garden & 25 acre truck patch he had is what kept him going . I Miss him & think of him daily.

Later Yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Gee, even i'm almost speechless...but not quite. One of the greatest posts i've read here Olivetroad, absolutely a great story and thanks for sharing it. My hat's off to your uncle. And great pictures by the way- that's a beautiful home he built!

And thank you too Mack, great story too and i'm really sorry for your loss.

Now- I wondered about those shoes as soon as I saw them, they just didn't fit the profile! And that paint looks great- c'mon, didn't you have them trucks buffessionally painted at Otto's Affair, or something like that, in central Illinois?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Gee, even i'm almost speechless...but not quite. One of the greatest posts i've read here Olivetroad, absolutely a great story and thanks for sharing it. My hat's off to your uncle. And great pictures by the way!

And thank you too Mack, i'm really sorry for your loss.

Now- I wondered about those shoes as soon as I saw them, they just didn't fit the profile! And that paint looks great- c'mon, didn't you have them buffessionally painted at Otto's Affair, or something like that, in central Illinois?

The brush is still dripping. Although it only cost .39 cents at the Dollar General store, we don't throw nuthin away round here if'n it's still got some use in it.

Great story.

Rob

He cleans the brushes, then he wraps them in saran wrap so they don't go bad. And he does spend a little more and at least buy the brushes that the bristles stay in place while you are using them.
China bristle with horsehair are really the only type to use if you plan to not throw it away. I hang mine in a tin of turpentine, or mineral spirits submerging the bristles but not bearing any weight upon them. They will last for years. Wooster is my preferred brand. Expensive, but worth it. Rob

China bristle with horsehair are really the only type to use if you plan to not throw it away. I hang mine in a tin of turpentine, or mineral spirits submerging the bristles but not bearing any weight upon them. They will last for years. Wooster is my preferred brand. Expensive, but worth it. Rob

I buy them cheap dollar store brushes, use them once and throw them away.But I just paint the picnic table or porch about once every 17 years or so, don't do a lot of painting.

If I do have an expensive brush I clean it good after using it then stick it in a can of gas and let it sit for several years before I throw it away.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I buy them cheap dollar store brushes, use them once and throw them away.But I just paint the picnic table or porch about once every 17 years or so, don't do a lot of painting.

If I do have an expensive brush I clean it good after using it then stick it in a can of gas and let it sit for several years before I throw it away.

Yes but today's gas is not as good of solvent as the last time you did that several years ago.

Rob

Ha! That is funny - I "gained" a new brother in law recently that moved into a house on our farm with my sis. He is a very anal individual - first thing he did was go around and straighten, organize, clean, polish, fix, repair, and just completely work over the pile of stuff in the corner of the shed on that place. I waited until he was all done, then I went in and threw it all away - it was trash.